Time Raiders

Cirevam

OKAY. I discovered things while trying to get the ATT into the game. All active Lightwave modders should listen up (especially you Extreme) because this is important. Here are my findings and a picture of my frustration:

WHEELS ARE NEEDED TO DETERMINE THE POSITION OF THE VEHICLE IN THE GAME. WHY?!?

Have two: vehicle spins about the axis with the missing dimension

Have three: game doesn't know where the vehicle is, so it appears invisible and the game lags a lot

Have four, five, or six: vehicle is fine

EXCEPTIONS: wheels cannot lay on top of each other because they are used to triangulate the known position of the vehicle. Hence Frozen Wheel Frenzy caused the Skid Steer to spaz out because the game didn't know where the wheels were for a moment.

[10:08:11 PM] jamesster: ... why would they do that

So what DDI decided to do was determine the position and rotation (pitch and roll in this case) of the vehicle not by comparing the angle of the parent null to the angles of nearby ground polygons and using averaging to figure out what the rotation of the vehicle should be, not by using the four corners of a box that would fit around the entire model to determine how high each corner should be, but by using wheels to stop the vehicle from rotating past the ground. Why else would vehicles constantly "fall" into the ground when their wheels are messed up? This had to be intentional. I think that vehicles are the only thing that use the ground to determine rotation, as raiders definitely don't. Monsters might but I don't remember. Just look at this crap. You can see that there are no wheels on the front, but I put them in the animation and in top view you can see them flying around.

I seriously can't believe DDI would do this because it's so buggy unless things are just right. But this does explain why vehicles like the Hover Scout have invisible wheels: all vehicles need at least four wheels, no exceptions.

• Like 3

Okay, this stupid-a vehicle is fixed.

It's functional, but I still need to remodel it to put in the upgrade parts. I think most of you would prefer me to work on more maps or monsters since TRVP1 is lacking in both, so I'll figure something out. Maybe I'll do something about monsters and boulders being their brains.

• 2 months later...

I wanted to make something to show everyone that I've been working on monsters. You've seen many of these before but I have been working on getting them into the game:

http://cirevam.deviantart.com/art/Time-Raiders-Monster-Mash-Promo-Wallpaper-328686505

If you want a different aspect ratio, PM me. I'm not going to render new ones for enormous resolutions just so you can feel like your 1920x1080 monitor purchase was justified, but if you want, for example, 4:3 because you don't have a widescreen monitor, I'll squish everything together to make it fit.

That depends. Like LRR, these monsters have specific strengths and weaknesses but there is no OHKO handheld weapon, but two of the three handhelds have better accuracy because their effective range is increased. Some vehicle weapons are powerful enough to kill things in one hit from across half the level but they're expensive. Vehicles are good to use because not everything can be zapped by an Electric Fence. Also, many monsters are much faster than the original monsters (the Crystal Warrior can outrun most vehicles) but most can't attack raiders to help keep things balanced.

Basically, the monsters and weapons are balanced so there are no cheap OHKO options but everything is still killable.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Drill Master has been working on things behind the scenes:

gallery_27_60_174908.png

Once some things are fixed -- so the game doesn't crash all the time -- I'll release an intermediate build. That will probably be better than waiting forever for content packs.

• 2 months later...
lol username

Looking pretty darn awesome dude, keep it up. It'd be cool to see this stuff built out of real LEGO pieces.

I finished the main model and got it in-game. I will have to redo the animations to match the new engines since I added one, but that's okay since the weapon has to mount on the vehicle that the Command Ship is mounted on. Remember? It's a painful combination of buildings and vehicles so you can have a mobile tool store. I'm still thinking of weapon ideas, but I don't think it can be more than four plates thick, and it has to be able to pivot down so I'll have to use some sort of hinge.

SchneiderCSv2.png

It's on the wiki too.

I almost forgot, next on the list is Jacred's command ship, then Glaven's. I'm on a quest to dejuniorize Time Raiders (or at least the present-day stuff).

I started coloring this one in its original red, white, and black color scheme, but then I noticed how Canadian it looks.

gallery_27_60_34606.png

I think I'll go for something else. If you have a suggestion, go ahead. PFFFFFFFFFFT TOO LATE

gallery_27_60_47133.png

• 1 month later...

In your Monster Mash picture, I can see:

The Crystal Warrior,

A Ghost Slug,

The Metal Monster,

A Crystal Spider,

Some lava in the bottom left corner,

And some dog thingy. (Is that going to be the reskinned Rock Monster?)

Is that right?

And some dog thingy. (Is that going to be the reskinned Rock Monster?)

it was a failed rockwhale model that got turned into a terrifying stone wolf thing even worse than a rockwhale. It probably has a new entry or replaces the unused Spider { entry or something. 

It probably has a new entry

It does. The Rock Monster will get reskinned with slightly better textures, but the models will be the same. Some animations will be different too, like an unused punching animation.

Electric Fences have a recharge time so don't relly only on them

Hmm.... Their recharge time is pretty short though... and you can always put more than one layer down. They're inexpensive.

Cirevam, is it possible that Electric Fences cost ore to make? No?

They can't cost ore.

Thought so.

Layers don't do anything because the recharge is for all fences since they all go off at once.

And? Since the recharge time is very small, anything that gets past the first will be zapped by the second. And there's always the Defense Tower... which I think should do more damage. It's nice that it fires immediately.

• Cyrem pinned this topic

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.