Time Raiders

Cirevam

I have a brother who works in networking who might be able to help me when I go home in a month. I also have a friend who's going to lend a live CD of Linux to me to see if I can access the drive at all. I can boot other programs off of a CD, so I have hope for that.

Anyways, my last backup was in November because I'm an idiot. Assume the worst that I lost everything past that point. I did check to see what I have and I can confirm that I have all 5 raiders, the transport buggy, the Digtank, the Bulldozer, an older Unraveler, and some early Howitzer files that probably don't work but that's easy to fix. This means the Crystal Spider, the Water Monster, Borg Raider firing animation, the Pyrite Punisher, the new Howitzer, the dependencies, the test levels, the sphere and protoss, and anything else after November 8 is not backed up.

Therefore, I implore everyone (especially TheDoctor and Amauros) who has screenshots, models, or other files that I may have sent to you since November 8 to send them to me so I can start recreating stuff. If it's in the Gallery or Download Center, don't worry about it. Anything that you guys may have should be sent to amsokol at smcm dot edu, which is my school email and is the only email that I have access to easily when I'm here. I can access my normal account, but I won't be checking that one as often.

Finally, due to these recent events, I've been pushed back by two months. I've thought about this for a while but this is really the final straw. If anyone wants to help with the mod, you know what, I need you. Go to the wiki and look for the Time Raiders page. I've made a section in the talk page, so go there and follow the instructions if you want to help. I'll take a look at the page every once in a while to see what's up.

How did you have this stuff stored? Stop being such a negative Nellie. My hard drive did this once, and with a simple action of placing it in a new computer as a slave drive and pulling the files from it I was able to resurrect my rock raiders game (which I later pirated to exam how my game differs from others). Either one: You dun wrong and borked the hard drive with every single lightwave of everything you made open, or two: big bad lightning bolt Bob came along and fried the circuitry of your hard drive. Now cheer up, and smell the flowers that grow from your ashes. I'm sure it is completely recoverable. Just try my suggestion. If you don't, I'll be mad. If you do, I'll be happy, and get respect.

If I had a SATA cable or another computer to plug the drive in, I'd use it. However, my brother has all of the equipment for this stuff at home and has experience in impossible data recovery. In a month I'll get him to look at it. I'm already running recovery programs on it anyways, so in a week it might be fine. Calm down, Chiefus Christ.

Finally, due to these recent events, I've been pushed back by two months. I've thought about this for a while but this is really the final straw. If anyone wants to help with the mod, you know what, I need you. Go to the wiki and look for the Time Raiders page. I've made a section in the talk page, so go there and follow the instructions if you want to help. I'll take a look at the page every once in a while to see what's up.

Hired Hands

If you want to help, put your name here along with what you want to make. Once you're done, post a link to a screenshot so I can take a look. Some things will be recreated by myself, but if yours is better, I'll use it.

This leads me to believe you're only accepting help for graphics related stuff...

well, seeing how I have spare time on my hands due to my programming computer saying, "I r no worky", I have spare time.

I'll be glad to help with whatever I can! But..I can't do graphics.

Levels would work too, especially since I'm crap at making levels. There aren't too many CFG changes so I didn't bother asking for them. I'll need to redo the dependency list and tweak some numbers, big deal. It would take ten minutes to redo most of those changes. If you do make maps, know that the Host Station (Tool Store) is the only thing that can move over lava, and that if it is destroyed or teleported out, the level is instantly lost, no exceptions.

Levels would work too, especially since I'm crap at making levels. There aren't too many CFG changes so I didn't bother asking for them. I'll need to redo the dependency list and tweak some numbers, big deal. It would take ten minutes to redo most of those changes. If you do make maps, know that the Host Station (Tool Store) is the only thing that can move over lava, and that if it is destroyed or teleported out, the level is instantly lost, no exceptions.

Allright, I'll do my best.

Finally, a chance to put my mapping skills to the test.

Also, what difficulty range should I aim for?

A little less than Back to Basics. Slugs will be a common enemy but only one or two at a time, plus the other monsters in the caves. Having slugs, emerging monsters, and OL'd monsters will mean that your raiders will have their attention split between many areas of the cavern. Manual defenses will be needed. Some caverns should have a recharge seam hidden somewhere, perhaps behind hard rock, as a sort of lifeline.

I can't believe I missed this for 2 days. I'll see what I can do, but I'm pretty sure you can just download my HP Ore for your protoss model. The texture should be in the biome, but if you lost that too, I can send it to you.

• 1 month later...

I've been updating the wiki entry with the character list. I've also received some files from TheDoctor and Amauros, the former leading to a new building within a few hours and the latter leading to positive utility and something that I can use to test new stuff in. Both are excellent and I'm glad I enlisted their help. Also, those who are interested may want to check the wiki for updated character summaries and the lot, and anyone who has a microphone is welcome to audition for voiceovers once I'm ready with some lines.

Why not a text to speech for AI units? Works just fine for me.

OH SURE...because Marvic totally wants a sexist, rasict Halo character joke to ruin his game for eternity come high...if you need V.O Marvic, I might be able to help you.

I already have voices for the minifig classes, for the most part. It's the story characters that need more than just "awaiting orders" and stuff like that. Since Extreme wants to help, I will advise him to go to the developer documentation page for Time Raiders. Extreme, go to the developer documentation page for Time Raiders and look at the different character summaries to see which one(s) you might want to voice. Ignore the voice codes for now, that's so I know what each one should sound like. Here's a link in case someone calls 1-2-3-Call-A-Cop on you along the way: http://www.rockraidersunited.org/wiki/index.php?title=Documentation:Time_Raiders#Character_Details

Levels would work too, especially since I'm crap at making levels.

If you do make maps, know that the Host Station (Tool Store) is the only thing that can move over lava, and that if it is destroyed or teleported out, the level is instantly lost, no exceptions.

I can't belive I missed this for over a month.

I will gladly make levels for you, sir. I do need to know the shapes of buildings, though, and consault you on a few things along the way.

As I start to complete the buildings, you'll figure out their shapes. I can tell you that the Host Stations (yes, multiple), the Defense Tower and the Upgrade Tower are all 1x1, the Power Station and Docks are remaining as they are, the Factory is 2x3 lengthwise, and I'm thinking of making the Doppler Tower and Distributor Tower at least 1x2. The Protoss Refinery should be 1x3 with the deposit_null on the side of one of the end squares, but there's no guarantee.

Here is another Host Station that you will encounter during some levels. It belongs to Jacred, a commander like you. If you want specific details, go to the wiki. It's obviously not complete yet, as I've found out that I did not have the Digtank's laser upgrades backed up, so I need to remake them and then attach the laser to the underside of the rear. Luckily, I have all of the parts that went into it, so it would only take maybe half an hour to remake. Other things like the radar will be freshly made. I'm just using an existing part as a placeholder there.

gallery_27_60_19199.png

I'm not sure if I want the white-blue color scheme for all of the Host Stations. Color signifies role rather than ranking in TR, and since there's a missile rack on the front (which can't be used, find the plot point to see why) it could have served a more combatant role. That means this could be a blood-red building.

Addictgamer

How about combine the two color schemes?

Blue, white, and blood red.

if it looks awful like that, all the more intimidating!

• 2 weeks later...

Jacred's HS is done. Glaven's is in progress. If you read the wiki you might understand why Glaven's looks a lot different than the other two I've made prior. Someone asked for spikes on Glaven's so I put spikes on it as the teleportation array and three huge ones as some unknown weapon that you'll never see in action.

gallery_27_60_20825.png

Once I remake the player's HS then I could start turning these into mobile buildings. After that happens, I think I'll get some levels together (if addict gets another one together I'll use his), I'll put Amauros' biome in, maybe I'll finish the Howitzer because it crashes the game if you try to teleport it (or I'll just disable it for now), and then release an alpha. The Wave Master is easy to remake so I might do that over the Howitzer, especially since I have a bunch of screenshots of the finished version. As for buildings, the Upgrade Tower's model is completed and I'm happy with it, so that would certainly be a possibility. I'm not that happy jan with the Stabilization Station, but I'll work on it. As for the Factory, I never got far on that and I think it might not be worth the trouble of designing every vehicle to fit in it when some vehicles are just way too large. I might make something that resembles the factories from BA (and I've thought about it before) simply because there's no roof on those. At the very least, I'll change the foundation shape of the Super Teleport so you know how to deal with a 2x3 building.

For people whining about RRU not being what it used to be or that it's fading away, frost you. Time Raiders is coming soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the LDS Geloden in all of it's still-not-completed glory. Unlike the LMS Explorer, the Geloden has two observation bridges with views from all sides. Apart from some extra external details, the outside is pretty much done. I do want a big radar dish like the LMS has, and I want to emblazon the name of the ship on the sides, so there will be at least that much to do.

Here are some basic stats:

Lego Defender Ship Geloden

Length: 165 lego men (multiply by 5.5 to get rough stud estimates)

Width: 38.5 lego men

Height: 54 lego men

Crew: ~500

Armaments

1 Base Breaker Railcannon

6 BGreen beam cannons (unless a better configuration is recommended. It doesn't matter for LRR, but for Freespace it might)

6 blob turrets

4 AA flak turrets

Now in HDTV resolution for Australians with gigantic monitors, and Imageshack'd because the Gallery doesn't like my huge images:

One of the observation bridges, plus elevator. All cannons are controlled manually through those computer things. They swivel around too.

You'll see the teleportation array later.]

From the inside, THAT IS [Please Talk Properly]ING AWESOME...how I'll ever pull anything better...I dunno.

But on the outside, it looks like a demented concave shark...

Here are some basic stats:

Lego Defender Ship Geloden

Length: 165 lego men (multiply by 5.5 to get rough stud estimates)

Width: 38.5 lego men

Height: 54 lego men

Crew: ~500

Armaments

1 Base Breaker Railcannon

6 BGreen beam cannons (unless a better configuration is recommended. It doesn't matter for LRR, but for Freespace it might)

6 blob turrets

4 AA flak turrets

Peh, MY SHIP IS 10000 LEGO MEN LONG AND 10 GIANTS WIDE! [/loljks]

Now in HDTV resolution for Australians with gigantic monitors, and Imageshack'd because the Gallery doesn't like my huge images:

Damn square you better put it in 1080p or I'mma have to get over there and burn them snags you put on that broken barbie...

• 2 weeks later...

I typed a huge comment just now and I'm going to mirror it here. The more you know:

"I see what you mean, but part of that was due to the placement of the fighterbay entrance. Any ships that enter or exit get routed to the "top" or "bottom" of the ship, though both are technically the top since the artificial gravity generators are in a long horizontal array through the middle of the ship. This prevents a "globe" effect, so the point of gravity is different for each individual but is always towards the middle slice of the ship. I don't know how the Explorer's are laid out since we only ever see the interior of the bridge and teleporter bays, but I assume its gravity generators are near or at the bottom of the ship.

If you're wondering why the fighterbays get rerouted, part of that is because the teleportation arrays, which you haven't seen yet, are at the "bottom" of the ship, so the holding bays for vehicles and buildings is near there, along with crystal and ore caches. The "top" contains the living quarters, research labs, and other things like that. As for how people get from the top to the bottom quickly, I'm thinking of two options: either an elevator that flips when it crosses the gravity field or some sort of "shuttle" that's bolted onto a frame that travels the length of the field to physically go around it, or they could simply teleport to the other side and fugget about dealing with artificial gravity. Considering how screwed up the Explorer's teleporters were in the game, I think a combination with the elevator or shuttle as a backup would work best."

There you go, more details on how the Geloden works. This also helps me organize interior stuff more easily so I can avoid inconsistencies. If you haven't noticed already, the interiors are being modeled directly into the ship for scale consistency so I'm trying to blueprint this thing as much as I can without killing myself. I'll scale it up when it's done and have one master file for interior shots.

Also, new stuff incoming:

gallery_27_60_374142.png

This is the Laser Saw Gun Combo, or LSGC. I wanted the Bruiser's weapon to be able to have a drill mode, but I couldn't figure out a good way to do it. Then I figured that putting a chainsaw on it would work, but it needed to be a laser saw to fit with the new drill that all raiders will be getting. However, the standard Laser Saw makes a long blade out of plasma rather than having lots of small, short-ranged plasma emitters that spin on a chain or belt. The reason for this huge difference is that the gun barrel needs something to protect it, otherwise it would just get slammed into rocks while drilling and become unusable. As for why there are two, it's to help show why Bruisers can drill walls extremely quickly.

Here's a closeup of the saws:

gallery_27_60_25013.png

If only you put everything you did on dropbox...but of course you must make everything difficult for yourself.

• Cyrem pinned this topic

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.