Prepare Installation for Modding

Master_Thomas

Master_Thomas

I want to install a mod to fix the sonic blaster crash, but apparently I need to "prepare my installation for modding."  How do I go about doing that?  I can't find any information on it.

I presume you're talking about this mod?

Normally I'd say "Throw it into Cafeteria's Mods folder," but this is from an older era where Cafeteria didn't exist. Don't worry, it's quite easy. First - make a backup of your game files! Just copy the entire LRR folder to somewhere safe. Secondly, open the WAD files using Wad Recycler. From there, the readme in the mod points you to the MiscAnims folder (ignore the fact that it talks about Data), which you'll find under the newly created LegoRR0 folder. Delete the entire BirdScarer folder and replace it with this one. Lastly, recompile the WADs by dragging the folders into Wad Recycler.

And you're done!

(Side note: if you want to do more modding yourself there are better ways to go about this, which involve the Data folder, but they're not immediately relevant)

(Side note #2: If you want to use Cafeteria and this mod, do all of the above, then install Cafeteria on top of this. If you've already installed Cafeteria, the easiest thing to do is just make a new LRR installation, install the mod, then install Cafeteria)

Master_Thomas

Well... I replaced the file in LegoRR0.wad and it still crashes.  Is there anything else I can try?

It doesn't crash whenever I use the sonic blaster, just when it goes off near a slimy slug, so I guess I shouldn't have expected a mod that just changes the animation to fix it.

1 hour ago, Master_Thomas said:

Well... I replaced the file in LegoRR0.wad and it still crashes.

By and large not: the Sonic Blaster is probably the single most unstable LRR piece of LRR there is. Sometimes a mod will fix it and it will never crash again. Sometimes the mod makes it worse. /shrug.

On the plus side, if you're just trying to deal with the slugs:
- keep your crystal count low by spamming useless SMLCs so you don't reach the crystal count when slugs appear

- teleport up your Tool Store so recharged crystals don't go anywhere

- wall off the slug holes with depowered Teleport Pads

- add -programmer launch parameter and hit F12 to disable slugs (and victory conditions - hit F12 again when you have the crystals to win)

.... or just play Manic Miners instead. It doesn't have slugs yet, but at least it doesn't crash

Master_Thomas

I had no idea about manic miners, it's great!

I guess two days of messing with virtual machines .dll files to get a windows 98 game running on windows 10 were pointless.  Good to know.

19 hours ago, Master_Thomas said:

I want to install a mod to fix the sonic blaster crash, but apparently I need to "prepare my installation for modding."  How do I go about doing that?  I can't find any information on it.

When you play the game, when does the crash game it? when you want to scare away slugs? or monsters  ?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.