Unable to post images to add to post

Vintermyst

I'm having a lot of problems inserting images into my posts, since the built in platform doesn't like importing outside files, which is kinda dumb.  Looks like I have to upload it as a Gallery Image, but even then it doesn't have a good location for me to post it.

Was a setting turned off or is this site outdated?

(Also realized I may have posted this under the wrong title, apologies for that, this forum has been exceptionally confusing)

I don't know if this is the best way of doing it, but if you can get the direct link to an image just paste it in the comment box and it should automatically embed it. For images and albums on RRU you can paste the standard link and it'll embed it with extra information, but I usually get the direct link through the browser's inspector and paste that instead.

Honestly, uploading images through RRU's gallery has always been finicky (in my own experience, at least).
Alternatively, what you can do is upload images to Imgur.com (a free image hosting/sharing site), then paste the image into your post.

If you need help uploading with Imgur, here's a quick step-by-step tutorial (Note: I did this on a Windows PC running Chrome, I have no idea if there are additional steps for uploading on a mobile device, a non-Windows computer, or even on a different Internet Browser)

Spoiler

Step 1. Go to Imgur.com, and click on the green "New Post" button (located at the top of the page, next to the Imgur logo).

Step 2. Click "Choose Photo/Video" to browse your computer for the images you want to upload, or just drag and drop the files (as demonstrated below).

7d2MrKt.jpg

Step 3. Once the image is uploaded (there'll be a little green pop-up that says "Upload Completed!" to confirm the upload is done), right click on the image and select "Copy image address".

th8KUdB.jpg

Step 4. Paste the image address into your RRU topic/reply text-box, and the image will auto-embed. (You can then double-click on the image to edit it's properties, such as size, alignment, and accessibility text)

Nothing special, just a random piece of art uploaded and embedded for demonstration purposes

Hope this helps!

Dude that's an awesome guide you made! Should be in a place where it can be better seen.

I tend to upload to RRU directly because, as has happened over the years with sites like Imageshack, Photobucket and TinyImg, links get broken when things change. Although I know Imgur is kind of a bedrock in the image hosting world so that's extremely unlikely to happen, but still who knows... Maybe they'll try to turn it into a social network and remove embedding or something like that :P

I would hope that doesn't happen, but you never really know these days, it could be Adobe Flash Playered.  Still, RRU would improve a *whole* lot if they just allowed direct input of photos from files, like a standard forum site.  

Edit:

Finally got it to work, but man that is a whack way to do it, considering that images form a large bulk of the information here.  Thanks for the help!  Fingers crossed it doesn't corrupt at any point.

You mean like on Discord for example? That sounds like a good idea. I don't know, how much effort it would require to implement that though. Maybe @Cirevam knows more about that.

Are you talking about uploading images as attachments directly into posts? We used to have something like that many years ago, but it broke a ton of images after a software update. The gallery is a separate module that (I believe) gets backed up regularly like the rest of the site. Some links have broken over time thanks to software upgrades, but the files are still around.

The built-in gallery is a bit wack, but auto-embedding links has always worked fairly well. I copy-pasted an image link below and it worked instantly. Tell me more about what you're trying to do.

logo-white-big.png

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.