A Person

This website died because of discord

Crystalyzer

Nah man, it's like the church. We think in centuries.

(and therefore threads are spread-out over years)

Ben24x7

I wouldn't say it's completely dead, it's just that all active discussion has moved to the Discord.

I'd say RRU still serves a purpose for posting content intended to be permanently visible/easily available (e.g. modding tools, important discoveries that are worth documenting, etc), since anything posted on the Discord will always be washed away by new messages and gone after a few weeks.

While I think it's a shame that activity on RRU has significantly dropped over the past couple of years, I don't think Discord has made this forum obsolete, people will still post here from time-to-time (even if, as Crystalyzer joked, it takes years).

Crystalyzer
38 minutes ago, Ben24x7 said:

since anything posted on the Discord will always be washed away by new messages and gone after a few weeks

'xactly.

Would be cool to have an automated transcriptor bot that writes threads about what is talked about on the discord. I could possibly do it, but I definitely don't have the time atm. Discerning the topics from the messages would be the hardest part, apart from integrating everything into one entity that communicates with Discord and the forum. 

Cirevam

Yes, it's annoying that Discord has replaced forums all over the internet. I really wish people would post more here since we have categorized threads that won't be lost after a couple days. That means that people can find things months or even years later. We get a decent number of people posting in years-old threads because they found them only recently... you can't do that with a chat room.

I encourage people to post stuff here, even if it's only finalized stuff. Active research works better when you can instantly send messages to others, so I get it. I want completed things to end up here so they can actually be found by the wider internet.

Vintermyst

I'm exactly the kind of person this website was made for; I found a thread that interested me *specifically* because I could read it and see it here.  With that being said, the interface is *very* outdated, and hard to learn, which might drive a few people away.  I can barely figure out how to post pictures with my articles. :/

The Discord sounds cool, but yes that is only a temporary forum which otherwise buries good content.  Other games I play have both an active forum and discord which operate in their own worlds separately.

Arthuriel

While I am an active user on Discord, I also wish that the forum would be more active for the aforementioned reasons (like being more organised for example*).
It seems to be an uphill battle though and I wonder, what the possible solution(s) could be? Maybe just being more active on the forum is a start and after that it's just hoping that this will attract more active users in the long term.

*to be fair: you can also use the search on Discord to find stuff, but sometimes you get a ton of results (that can also happen with a forum search though) and in the end threads on a forum still help with having an overview

TheDiplomat
6 hours ago, Arthuriel said:

*to be fair: you can also use the search on Discord to find stuff, but sometimes you get a ton of results (that can also happen with a forum search though) and in the end threads on a forum still help with having an overview

The one downside of this is that it doesn't show up in a Google search. Someone needs to actually (a) know that RRU exists and that it focuses on the subject matter related to their problem, (b) know that it has a Discord, and (c) join said Discord. RRU is probably niche and unique enough that this doesn't end up being too big of an issue; it probably doesn't take too long for someone with an RRU-relevant problem to find out about RRU even if their first google search doesn't land an exact hit. But for stuff outside of RRU's domain for which there are dozens of overlapping websites and Discords, e.g. tech problems, Blender problems, etc., the idea of having to join 20 Discords rather than being able to do 1 google search frustrates me to no end. XD

Arthuriel

Wow, I haven't even thought of that*. Good point with the searchability. Let's hope that more content finds its way to the forum so it can be found by other people.

*from the sound of your post you could probably tell some really frustrating stories XD

Crystalyzer
On 3/11/2021 at 8:05 PM, Arthuriel said:

*from the sound of your post you could probably tell some really frustrating stories XD

Please share them, I'm sure we have nothing better to do these days anyway :)

And who knows, maybe we can help.

TheDiplomat
On 3/11/2021 at 12:05 PM, Arthuriel said:

On 3/18/2021 at 4:02 AM, Crystalyzer said:

Please share them, I'm sure we have nothing better to do these days anyway :)

And who knows, maybe we can help.

Fortunately, nothing too recent, so I don't really have any good stories, lol. Most of them I either eventually solved one way or another or just gave up on and forgot about. :P Every problem I've been dealing with recently seems either too niche to be found on a forum or Discord, e.g., external visual hull construction, or does seem to have more of a forum and/or StackOverflow presence, e.g., OpenGL ES development. I'm sure that won't last too long, though. XD I'm definitely in a couple of Blender and Game Dev servers, however, where occasionally a question is asked that I'm sure someone else will have at some point, and it makes me a bit sad that, when that 2nd person tries to look for it, rather than being something that will show up in Google, it'll just get buried in some Discord server that they'll probably never hear of.

Crystalyzer
On 3/20/2021 at 1:51 AM, TheDiplomat said:

a question is asked that I'm sure someone else will have at some point, and it makes me a bit sad that, when that 2nd person tries to look for it, rather than being something that will show up in Google, it'll just get buried in some Discord server that they'll probably never hear of.

Definitely. I mean, as long as there are knowledgeable people in those Discord servers, you won't have a problem. But as an engineer, I have to object to the premise of repetitive work that wastes energy. Having a neatly organized forum or catalogue of problem-solution tuples would be ideal, of course, but I think that is also an outlier situation. I've known no forum that was easily traversible or actually had neatly organized topics. Most often the categories are too general for that, and people often don't know where to correctly submit their question/idea/solution and then they get shunned for choosing the wrong categories and labels (at least, that's what I imagine it would feel like). That doesn't promote the proper use of forums either...