LEGO Rock Raiders - installer won't run windows 10

joakimgustafssons

joakimgustafssons

Hi, I got a CD with LEGO Rock Raiders from 2003. It´s from DICE Multimedia. I have been able to run and install the game on my laptop with Windows 7. But because of the laptop issue it wont run because of some DirectX 6 issues. I am not able to solve that.

But when I try to install the game on my stationary computer with Windows 10 . It wont run the installer when I click on (setup.exe, autorun.exe). Does someone have any solution to this problem? I am from Sweden and so is the CD, and I want to keep the language.

1 minute ago, joakimgustafssons said:

But when I try to install the game on my stationary computer with Windows 10 . It wont run the installer when I click on (setup.exe, autorun.exe). Does someone have any solution to this problem? I am from Sweden and so is the CD, and I want to keep the language.

Yep!

&

As for the DirectX issue, have you tried installing official DirectX packages from the MS website? You can't really go wrong with these installers - worst case scenario, they don't do anything because you've already got it installed.

Oh, and one more thing: chances are LRR will throw a lot of issues on the road to getting it working, a lot of which are detailed here:

joakimgustafssons

Hi, thank you so much! It worked now, I used the second link and copied the game. But I am trying to solve the issue with the Danish voice/sound now. The text is in Swedish, so that great..

joakimgustafssons

SOLVED!

I have solved the issues with not able to install the game with my cd on Windows 10 by using the info from this link. Thanks @aidenpons

When I got all the files downloaded to my pc I used this guide to get the game started.

Furthermore I discovered that the sound/language was set to Danish (a pity if you are a Swede). I couldn't find any language/sound file online. But I was able to install the game on my laptop (Win 7) and extract the sound/language files from there using a USB/External hard drive. The I just copied all the data files into the data file on my stationary computer (Win 10).
And after that I got the Swedish sound/language, I have not checked and gone through the whole game yet so I will find out if something is missing.. 

I guess the extractor also catches the first language in the alphabet on the CD like the alternate installer does. But the coders are already working on a fix for the alternate installer, it's just a matter of time, I don't think the extractor will get that treatment.

joakimgustafssons
7 minutes ago, webfischi said:

I guess the extractor also catches the first language in the alphabet on the CD like the alternate installer does. But the coders are already working on a fix for the alternate installer, it's just a matter of time, I don't think the extractor will get that treatment.

Okey interesting. It seems to work smoothly now but I am not able to access the save function. I solved the issue by using the command in parameters -testlevels. Does someone know why the save function doesn't work? I have the files saved to C: and I start the game in administrator mode. 

You can only save at the end of a level, and you always have to load the save game in the main menu. When you start the game, it is always starts with al levels locked.

10 hours ago, joakimgustafssons said:

Okey interesting. It seems to work smoothly now but I am not able to access the save function. I solved the issue by using the command in parameters -testlevels. Does someone know why the save function doesn't work? I have the files saved to C: and I start the game in administrator mode. 

I would hazard a guess that this is because it's installed in Program Files...

- LRR likes to save its saves right next to it (Data\Saves)

- Windows doesn't like programs writing in Program Files

- so it instead redirects the save to VirtualStore or somewhere

- which means when LRR looks for saves in the Data\Saves folder, it can't find any there

- and LRR is too old to also realise it should look at the VirtualStore folder

Running as admin sometimes fix this (not too sure on the specifics), but it didn't :P so try reinstalling LRR to a new location outside of Program Files. Chances are other things (eg: applied fixes, Community Edition, Cafeteria) will also not work properly if LRR is in Program Files, so there's really no downside to moving it out of there.

11 hours ago, aidenpons said:

- and LRR is too old to also realise it should look at the VirtualStore folder

Windows does that automatically for reads and writes.
I believe it works like this:
If there's a file called say... "README.txt" in both VirtualStore and Program Files, when the program requests that file, the one from VirtualStore is given and not the one in Program Files.
If the program were running as administrator, then VirtualStore is completely ignored.
You'd have to move the files from VirtualStore into Program Files to be able to use them if running as administrator.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.