Crashing When Changing Island 2 Installation Directory

Ptolemy

Hi, I've installed LEGO Island 2 successfully on my Windows 10 LTSC 64-bit machine, and it runs fine after I've applied the no CD, loading screen fix, and debug level select changes. However, when I change the installation directory to anything different (I uninstalled my C:\Program Files (x86)\LEGO Media\LEGO Island 2\ install and reinstalled to a folder inside my Documents folder) the game crashes after the Silicon Dreams video plays.
I've also tried copying and pasting a copy of the default directory install to my Windows XP SP3 32-bit dual boot but then it crashes there. I figured it was a Registry problem pointing to different location but I could not find anything. I was wondering if anyone here knew if there might be a case of the install directory being coded into one of the files or such. Thanks in advance.

All I know for certain is the game crashes like that when installed to folders that have a . in their name. Chances are there's other similar things that break it too - haven't checked. All I know for sure is I've installed it to paths ending in "LEGO Island 2 A" and "LEGO Island 2 B" and it didn't complain, but "LEGO Island 2 1.1" broke it as you describe (and it was then fixed when I renamed it to something else).

Strange. I've tried installing it in other directories in both my Windows 10 64-bit and my Windows XP 32-bit. I've tried doing copy pastes of the directory and also fresh installs from the installer using a CD image on both operating systems, to no avail. I'm keeping the game files for now but think they will remain unplayable until a fix is found if it is even possible.

I specified my LI2 directory to something entirely custom and it works fine (though with no special characters - just A-Z and spaces), so I know it works. Weird that it isn't for you.

I looked thoroughly through my registry and the installation files to see if I violated some sort of game path, but could not find any.
I am suspecting that I may be doing something wrong when I am applying the no CD patch, so I decided to ask at the relevant topic.

Edit: I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling LI2 to several different directories using the default installer, run with compatibility mode. Depending on if my directory had an apostrophe, was set somewhere other than the default location, and the default location, I would either not be able to enter the main screen, crash when starting a new game, or be successful at starting a new game.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.