Unused LEGO Rock Raiders (PC) Assets

ShadowDraikana

• Administrators
ShadowDraikana

There was a point in time in early 2019 that I decided to sort through the assets of this game for all the unused content.  The goal was to reduce the initial starting size of my mod while also retaining an unused asset tree to draw from.  

Well, fast forward to present.  I had drafted up a topic about this unused assets collection but never posted it.  So, I'm fixing that now.

Archive download: https://www.rockraidersunited.com/files/dl-r397/

If you find any issues with this, such as game files you think are unused that I missed, or any files in here that you believe are in fact used, please do bring it to my attention.  This should be entirely complete, though.

Anyway, enjoy

• 1 year later...

Woah, I somehow totally missed this topic! I have no idea how I didn't notice it, but hopefully my input over a year later is useful:

In there that shouldn't be:

• Creatures\Scorpion folder, there's an empty New Text Document.txt which doesn't seem to exist in my LRR installation. What's up with that?
  • Vehicles\WalkerLegs folder, there's another New Text Document.txt which also doesn't seem to exist in my LRR installation, although this one's not empty (just a file list)

Missing, I think:

• WorldTextures\IceSplit contains Ice07.bmp, which has a lightning bolt drawn over the ground tile. I'm pretty sure this isn't used, and Rock07.bmp and Lava07.bmp don't exist.
  • WorldTextures\LavaSplit contains Lava47.bmp which I'm pretty sure isn't used, given it has text on saying "Lava (Not Hot)"
  • Are the Soil textures (Rock01.bmp, Rock21.bmp Rock31.bmp , Rock51.bmp, same for Lava and Ice) unused? I did a quick test and removed them from my test installation and LRRCE seemed to load fine, but you might know more about this than I do and if the game forcibly checks for them anyway
    • Did a quick test where I removed the ground texture from RockSplit and loaded a rock level - LRRCE loaded fine with no crashes, but the ground was white. I have no idea if this is an LRRCE thing, but it seems you could take the soil textures out and the game wouldn't mind, which makes them unused in my books?
  • Technically speaking, LavaSplit\Lava30.bmp and IceSplit\Ice30.bmp are unused - they're the textures for Lava and Ice slimy slug holes, which never appear in any LRR level, only when modded. You could  make a case for LavaSplit\Lava45.bmp too, as it's the tile for water, which you never see. I took one out and LRRCE didn't crash when I loaded a level - does this make them count as unused (does LRR crash if you remove them?)
  • Sounds\Streamed\Failure\Failcrys.wav is defined in the cfg as existing but never plays in-game, so it counts as unused, I think .
  • Many files under Sounds\Streamed\InGame, eg:
    • 1002.wav (Erode Works apparently had you find a Granite Grinder?)
    • 1901.wav
    • and many more. A lot (all?) of these are correctly hooked up under the Levels\GameLevels\Level##\##.txt files, but the NERPs never calls for them to play, so they're unused.

Also: If you unpack LegoRR1.wad and LegoRR0.wad separately, you'll find under Levels\GameLevels\Level##\##.txt in both wads. These are the files that hold the NERPs messages (eg: "Well done, you found the Tool Store! Now collect five Energy Crystals") The game only uses the one in LegoRR1.wad . The one in LegoRR0.wad is unused/lower priority than the LegoRR1.wad one, and is (totally?) identical save for every message string being surrounded by \[     \] , which seems to have been their in-progress way of demarcating text strings (you can see this in the debug cfg and in Levels\GameLevels\Level16\config.txt ) , but none of this made it to the final build it seemed). I also suspect that the ones in LegoRR0.wad are not localized and remain in English no matter what installation you have, but I as I lack any non-English copy I have no way to test this. So this counts as unused, I think!

Everything else seems to be on point! Very impressively done. I can't imagine the amount of effort it took to tediously sift through the chain of ae -> lws -> lwo and see which ones the game did and didn't use. That makes my brain hurt from just thinking about it >.< Well done you!

It's also cool to see how much of the data is just duplicates. For instance, all the Teleport Pad icons are duplicated with the other set belonging to an unused "mobile teleport." There's two identical pictures of the notification for "An energy crystal has been found" down the bottom. Even the overlay on the lock-unit scanner (the minimap's alternate, largely useless, functionality) has a duplicate sitting in another folder. Not to mention the entire Pilot folder being copied in World\Shared. And so on...

Lastly, it's worth noting that nearly (?) all the unused data for this can be re-activated - for instance, a lot of the unused monster animations can just be swapped in the AE (Hop1Foot.lws is a good replacement for the massively long backflip that happens when you shoot a monster), the unused emerge and erosion maps can be plugged in (albeit some of them really don't match very well and you'll get garbage), and the unused sounds can be hooked up and told to play via NERPs.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2021 at 5:42 PM, aidenpons said:

I can't imagine the amount of effort it took to tediously sift through the chain of ae -> lws -> lwo and see which ones the game did and didn't use.

I believe he wrote a tool that checks to see which files get loaded on startup, which is much less tedious and does not require the use of pain screwdrivers. It's still a good resource to catch files we may not have bothered checking, like those unused Rock Monster animations.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators
ShadowDraikana
On 10/30/2021 at 5:25 PM, Cirevam said:

I believe she wrote a tool that checks to see which files get loaded on startup, which is much less tedious and does not require the use of pain screwdrivers. It's still a good resource to catch files we may not have bothered checking, like those unused Rock Monster animations.

I didn't.  I used Process Monitor, created several filters, then started carefully rerunning tests and startup multiple times to check what gets read and what doesn't on initial load, followed by testing what it grabs when loading up a map.  Went through several passes, then did some manual removals etc. to see if the game would care or not and/or if anything looked broken.  Was tedious and took me a week to fully do, but in the process found some fascinating items hidden in here/located assets that weren't even being called.  

In there that shouldn't be:

• Creatures\Scorpion folder, there's an empty New Text Document.txt which doesn't seem to exist in my LRR installation. What's up with that?
  • Vehicles\WalkerLegs folder, there's another New Text Document.txt which also doesn't seem to exist in my LRR installation, although this one's not empty (just a file list)

I could have sworn I had removed those prior to uploading |:| 

Missing, I think:

• WorldTextures\IceSplit contains Ice07.bmp, which has a lightning bolt drawn over the ground tile. I'm pretty sure this isn't used, and Rock07.bmp and Lava07.bmp don't exist.
  • WorldTextures\LavaSplit contains Lava47.bmp which I'm pretty sure isn't used, given it has text on saying "Lava (Not Hot)"

So this is one of the cases where the textures in question are in fact searched for and loaded by the game as they are mapped but are never actually assigned to a block/tile as they lack the hardcoded entries there.  They're weirdly mapped/called by one function but not used elsewhere.  Or at least that's the simplest way (I think) to explain some of what @trigger_segfault found with the biome loading.  That's for another topic perhaps, but the TL;DR is these are ultimately unused.

• Are the Soil textures (Rock01.bmp, Rock21.bmp Rock31.bmp , Rock51.bmp, same for Lava and Ice) unused? I did a quick test and removed them from my test installation and LRRCE seemed to load fine, but you might know more about this than I do and if the game forcibly checks for them anyway
    • Did a quick test where I removed the ground texture from RockSplit and loaded a rock level - LRRCE loaded fine with no crashes, but the ground was white. I have no idea if this is an LRRCE thing, but it seems you could take the soil textures out and the game wouldn't mind, which makes them unused in my books?

I'll address the second point first: doesn't seem to matter the game version but you can remove textures from biomes without the game caring much; the result of missing textures is the game will try to grab the regular ground tile as a default.  Otherwise it will show as a white square (like in your test) if it can't find the ground texture. 

As for Soil, those bmps are grabbed and loaded, but are unused ultimately as the game just replaces instances of this wall type with Dirt (or at least that's what is implied to be happening based on surf map data).  So the long and short of it is yes, these can be removed without the game throwing a fit and Soil textures are indeed unused.

• Technically speaking, LavaSplit\Lava30.bmp and IceSplit\Ice30.bmp are unused - they're the textures for Lava and Ice slimy slug holes, which never appear in any LRR level, only when modded. You could  make a case for LavaSplit\Lava45.bmp too, as it's the tile for water, which you never see. I took one out and LRRCE didn't crash when I loaded a level - does this make them count as unused (does LRR crash if you remove them?)

For the slug holes in ice and lava biomes: in vanilla they're most definitely unused.  It's weird that DDI didn't use slug holes outside of rock levels, if you don't count the original intended setup for Lava Laughter (which I'm planning on making a topic for).  The game won't crash if you remove the slug hole textures in any biome, as it will default to the ground texture (as mentioned above).  

Then there's LavaSplit\Lava45.bmp, the water texture for the lava biome.  This is in fact used, and appears in the tutorial missions 1. Moving Rock Raiders and 4. Moving Rock Raider Vehicles.  Sadly water doesn't show up in any of the actual lava missions, but this texture is still used nonetheless.

• Sounds\Streamed\Failure\Failcrys.wav is defined in the cfg as existing but never plays in-game, so it counts as unused, I think .
  • Many files under Sounds\Streamed\InGame, eg:
    • 1002.wav (Erode Works apparently had you find a Granite Grinder?)
    • 1901.wav
    • and many more. A lot (all?) of these are correctly hooked up under the Levels\GameLevels\Level##\##.txt files, but the NERPs never calls for them to play, so they're unused.

Yeah, Failcrys.wav is defined but it's not actually used.  IIRC the only way to get it to play currently is via a debug key?  I haven't really looked into this particular failure line much, but there's an argument both ways for it being considered used and unused.

Sounds\Streamed\InGame, is a bit of a convoluted rabbit hole.  I think I failed to properly cover these because the game grabs all of them by virtue of being called by the Levels\GameLevels\Level##\##.txt files.  As a result I left them alone initially; I have a separate folder I had been working on and had apparently forgotten about at the time of uploading the unused asset tree.  

A perfect example of these audio clips being actually called and seemingly hooked up in the NERPs is A Breath Of Fresh Air.  Every piece of audio pertains to the air supply and the NERPs for the map indicates the messages were supposed to play when the air supply hit certain thresholds.  Two possibilities: the script for the maps was done improperly (looking at the nrm raises a few questions), or Sparks notifications are overriding the NERPs messages.  If the latter it doesn't explain why Chief fails to come on-screen anyway, which is why I lean on the side of the NERPs being a bit screwed up for the map.  

The 1002.wav is probably one of the most interesting of the lot as it means Erode Works was changed in some fashion from the original plot, which evidently involved locating a Granite Grinder.  This clip is very clearly unused.  That 1901.wav clip is yet another example.  Note that 1501 and 1701 are seemingly for Ice Spy and yet are different clips, which again raises some questions whether 1701 was meant for another ice map where Lava Laughter now is, or if it was just an extra recording they tossed in.  

I'm going to recheck all these and update the unused asset tree accordingly.

Also: If you unpack LegoRR1.wad and LegoRR0.wad separately, you'll find under Levels\GameLevels\Level##\##.txt in both wads. These are the files that hold the NERPs messages (eg: "Well done, you found the Tool Store! Now collect five Energy Crystals") The game only uses the one in LegoRR1.wad . The one in LegoRR0.wad is unused/lower priority than the LegoRR1.wad one, and is (totally?) identical save for every message string being surrounded by \[     \] , which seems to have been their in-progress way of demarcating text strings (you can see this in the debug cfg and in Levels\GameLevels\Level16\config.txt ) , but none of this made it to the final build it seemed). I also suspect that the ones in LegoRR0.wad are not localized and remain in English no matter what installation you have, but I as I lack any non-English copy I have no way to test this. So this counts as unused, I think!

This was something I left out at the time pondering if I should include them or not, but yeah, you're right.  These definitely count as unused.  As for if those files remain in English no matter the version... I'll check tomorrow and edit this post.

The main thing I did when I first built this archive was going off of things specifically not called, then recheck the assets that are loaded but are likely not used (such as Ice07.bmp).  What I uploaded was the raw, undisputed unused assets, which I will be updating with what you've pointed out and what I've outlined in this post.  I really appreciate you taking the time to go through these assets and kind of prodding me back into doing something with them again in the process.  Thanks again for everything you pointed out.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.