Why is LEGO The Hobbit missing The Battle of Five Armies?

Lego David

LEGO The Hobbit is infamous for being released incomplete, with the entirety of the last movie, The Battle of Five Armies, missing from the game. Although I still enjoyed playing the game (especially the open Middle Earth world, that was fun) I can't help but wonder what exactly happened that caused the game to be released without the last movie. Were there some production problems? They wanted to release the game as soon as possible and update it later on? What exactly happened? 

IIRC it was planned as a DLC that was cancelled due to the overall lukewarm reception of The Hobbit.

.... some digging later, yes I'm correct on the first point: https://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/16/warner-bros-cancels-lego-the-hobbits-five-armies-dlc I can't find any definitive source of them saying it would be a DLC to begin with, but that seems to be implied. Here's the WB quote itself, if you don't feel like fishing it up out of literally every Google hit for "lego the hobbit battle of five armies DLC" :P

"The LEGO: The Hobbit video game gives LEGO and Middle-earth fans a fun, new way to experience the legendary adventures of Bilbo and company as told in the first two films of Peter Jackson’s The Hobbit trilogy," the publisher said in a statement issued to GameSpot. "The game provides an excellent set-up for the concluding chapter of Peter Jackson’s film, The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies. There are no plans to develop DLC based on the final film of the trilogy.”

Keep in mind that The Hobbit itself came in multiple instalments. Due to whatever, Lego was releasing their sets at around the end of the first movie (I remember some of the sets contained spoilers about the second movie). Due to whatever x2, the Lego the Hobbit game came at the end of the second movie. (Can't particularly be bothered to find sources on this :P )

Clearly no-one cared enough and the finances didn't work out for them to finish up and produce the DLC they had planned to.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.