Rock Raiders for PS1 is not so bad

antrad

I just finished playing the PS1 version for the first time. After reading some negative comments and poor impressions in first few missions I eventually ended up liking the game.

Yes, it is a much simpler game, has poor camera and poor controls and all that, but when I played the PC version of the game I always felt the PC game needed few more missions that are not focused on just base building, so you don't feel like you are always doing the same thing and the missions in the PS1 version are exactly that.

The best part was the sense of exploration and how every machine had its purpose, it felt almost like a simple puzzle game. I liked the Tunnel Transporter and how I had to transport vehicles around and use water to cool down lava to make new paths. It's nothing special, but it was something new. Also when you are searching for lost Rock Raiders they are not all in the same place. The game ended being a bit short and repetitive near the end just like the PC version, so I think the best would be a mix of two games. Shame we have two flawed games with unfilled potential, instead of having one proper polished game.

I just read that there are TWO versions of the PS1 version. The USA version which released later has different missions and some other changes. So there are basically 2 and a half games. The development obviously lacked focus and must have been a mess.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.