Lego Rock Raiders Crash Problem

Brioche

I've got the game up and running, and can play it, there is a consistent crash problem I've been unable to get around.

Playing the game works fine. I can start up a level, play it, beat it, get the results screen and everything works fine. However as soon as I go back to the level select to move onto the next level, the game always crashes. As well, if I save a game from the results screen and try to return to it through the "Load A Saved Game" feature, the same crash happens. I can only enter the level select from a brand new playthrough without anything being completed. As soon as I complete something, the game always crashes at that point. This makes it impossible to make any progress, and the only levels I can therefore play are the first tutorial, and the first proper level.

However if I go to the "Training Missions" section, I can play any of the tutorial missions, before then facing the same crash when I finish that mission.

I've got dgvoodoo 2.53, however one issue I've got that some people say is a workaround for some crashes is to choose "window" in the "Mode Selection" menu before the game boots. I just get a greyed out "OK" button with it saying "No 32 bit supported modes found".

I'm on Windows 10. I've replaced D3DRM.dll with a working copy.  If you've also had this problem, tell me what you've done to fix it.

Weird. While I don't know what's causing your crash issues, at least I can work around two issues:

1) -testlevels as a command line parameter will unlock all levels so you can play them without needing to save - shame your raiders won't be preserverd

2) running LRR in Windowed mode requires 16-bit color mode which is pretty easy to do

Not sure about the crashes though, maybe some weird save access is being weird. Tried moving the game out of Program Files? Windows doesn't like programs writing to there, which is exactly where LRR likes to store its saves.

7 minutes ago, aidenpons said:

Not sure about the crashes though, maybe some weird save access is being weird. Tried moving the game out of Program Files? Windows doesn't like programs writing to there, which is exactly where LRR likes to store its saves.

The game is in "Program Files (x86) currently. I've tried it in other places like a folder inside My Documents. The same crashes still occur.

When I finish the first level, everything else is unlocked automatically for some reason, and the game crashes after less than a second of coming back to the menu.

Did this on full screen mode, and now windowed mode with that fix, the crashing continues to persist.

Did the -testlevels thing too, and now all levels are unlocked.

So I guess it's a half workaround. Can play all levels now, but the game still crashes after completing one.

UPDATE: Level 6 (the one where you dynamite the wall to get to a lost vehicle seems to always crash during the level. No idea why, and don't know if this is related to the other crashes I've had.

I wonder if some of these crashes are happening because your computer doesn't like the various menu animations. They start playing almost immediately after coming back to the main menu when completing a level, so maybe you could disable them and see what happens. You'll need to extract your game files. This tutorial is old and incomplete, but it should get you close enough to where you need to be:

After extracting your files with the WAD Tool, go into the Data folder (or LegoRR1) and open Lego.CFG in Notepad or whatever text editor you prefer. Search for lines containing ".flh". Most of these are the menu animations. Some of them are mouse cursors, so make sure you only touch the ones in the menu sections. Comment out each one of them with a semicolon before the line. Here's an example:

MenuCount				5

Menu1 {
				FullName			Main
				Title				Main
				Position			320:200
				MenuFont			Interface\FrontEnd\menutests1new.bmp ;Menu_Font_Hi.bmp
				LoFont				Interface\FrontEnd\menutests1new.bmp ;Menu_Font_Lo.bmp
				HiFont				Interface\FrontEnd\menutests1new.bmp ;Menu_Font_Hi.bmp
				ItemCount			5
				MenuImage			Interface\FrontEnd\MenuBGpic.bmp
				AutoCenter			TRUE
				DisplayTitle		FALSE

;				!Overlay1			avi\Rocky.flh:FrontSFX_RockMonster:0:216
;				!Overlay2			avi\struck.flh:FrontSFX_Truck:336:192
;				!Overlay3			avi\Sandwich.flh:FrontSFX_Sand:0:248
;				!Overlay4			avi\claser.flh:SFX_NULL:144:241
;				!Overlay5			avi\Slug.flh:FrontSFX_Slug:408:305

PlayRandom			TRUE

Item1				Next:0:0:New_Game:Menu2
				Item2				Next:0:40:Load_A_Saved_Game:Menu4
				Item3               Next:0:80:Mini_Games:Menu3
				Item4				Trigger:0:120:Readme:0
				Item5               Next:0:160:Quit_Game:Menu5
			}

This will not help with crashes while you're playing, but it might stop crashing after every level. Also don't forget to recompile your WADs if you didn't copy everything into the Data folder. Ask if you need more details.

Is there monsters in level 6, I can't remember?

I'm actively working on a bug to fix a crash when monsters are on the level, which is related to path finding.

Level06 (Explosive Action) doesn't have an emerge map and the OL only has the Tool Store and Small Digger. That's the one where you have to drive the digger back to base and get it to touch one of five tuto blocks. It has mandatory dynamite usage so I'd expect that to be the source of crashes in that level.

I can use dynamite and fight monsters without any crashes. Just something peculiar about that level I guess.

There's also a glitch on Back To Basics where your energy crystals all disappear when you activate Action Stations. Really annoying when you've got a Support station to maintain oxygen. That means that you have to kill monsters using passive means like electric fences.

Still, gonna try that fix for the menu crashes that occur after completing/failing levels.

1 hour ago, Brioche said:

There's also a glitch on Back To Basics where your energy crystals all disappear when you activate Action Stations. Really annoying when you've got a Support station to maintain oxygen. That means that you have to kill monsters using passive means like electric fences.

I've never heard of glitches on clicking Action Stations, but I have heard of glitches caused when a miner fires a Laser Beam setting your crystals to 0. There's information on how to fix it here: https://www.rockraidersunited.com/topic/2796-damn-crystal-glitch/ here, and AFAIK it's fixed in Community Edition for good regardless.

(Hmm, I could script something nasty that would cause all your crystals to vanish on clicking Action Stations, but I absolutely know that's not what's in play XD)

• 2 weeks later...

In all your talk you never mentioned what version of the game are you using ? Did you try using the Masterpiece Edition executable ? It is available on game's PCGamingWiki page or through Cafeteria which you can find here under modding tools.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.