Which LEGO Parts 3D Library Has the Greatest Accuracy?

TheDiplomat

TheDiplomat

I'm working on an AR project, and to test out the registration, I need a relatively-complex 3D model that, as accurately as possible, resembles some physical counterpart I own. With my ability to go and 3D print something hampered a little by COVID-19, I figured my best option for this was just using some LEGO part I own and one of the fan-created libraries.

However, there are a lot of options to choose from, e.g. Stud.io, Mecabricks, LDraw, etc. I think I recall hearing/reading that their libraries overlap a little bit, but nonetheless, does anyone have suggestions for which option I should choose? In particular, I am looking for a relatively complicated shape (so not just a 2x4 or anything) that does not feature any moving parts (e.g. a dinosaur body minus appendages). The texture/colour shouldn't matter, though, as far as I can tell so far.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

MinifigRenderer

I personally use Mecabricks but you'd need to contact them directly if you wish to use their workshop.  They'll most likely just tell you to credit them for use of their workshop.

• Like 1

TheDiplomat
4 minutes ago, LDD Mods said:

I personally use Mecabricks but you'd need to contact them directly if you wish to use their workshop.  They'll most likely just tell you to credit them for use of their workshop.

It's actually just for the "R&D" phase that I need this at the moment. Like, its final phase won't be a LEGO project (though perhaps I should also think of an AR LEGO project at some point), I just need a physical-digital pair of objects to test registration with. So credit is not so much of an issue as accuracy right now. 

lol username

Definitely either Mecabricks or LDD. Mecabricks is overall aiming for a higher level of detail than LDD (which is comparatively lower poly), so maybe that. Stud.io uses the LDraw library, which is more hit or miss depending on the part.

• Like 1

MinifigRenderer

Jamesster is right. I've recently taken stud.io off my pc as I no longer need it for a project of mine. You'll find that there are some models or pieces in stud.io that aren't in Mecabricks or LDDs libraries, LDD mainly due to updates that have removed the pieces from the software, and Meca because no one has modelled them yet.

• Like 1

TheDiplomat

Thanks for the suggestions! I tried Mecabricks with a LEGO horse for now. Seems to line up well enough; the tail might be a bit off, but it's hard to tell until I get a wireframe shader working on mobile. If I feel I discover something substantial, I'll update this thread.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.