Removing Default / Pre-Built Racers

Ptolemy

Hi, I searched the forums and had trouble finding information related to the default / pre-built racers in LR1.
I'd like to know if it is possible to remove Joan of Kart, Scooter, Roboracer, etc. from the roster that comes up when you try to start a race.
I took a look in my extracted LEGO.JAM but couldn't find file names, and I am not sure if I should be looking in GAMEDATA or MENUDATA.
Thank you in advance.

lol username

AFAIK, all the data for pre-built cars (including "quick builds" for the various chassis) are stored in the same format as standard saved game data, located somewhere within the JAM - as in, you can literally replace your game save with it, and see all the unused random drivers that go along with the prebuilt chassis cars. Presumably if you edited those cars and then put your new save data in the place of the save in the JAM, your edits would appear in-game fine, though I dunno if anybody's ever tried that. No idea if it's possible to outright remove anything.

mumboking

The file the default racers are stored in is LEGO.JAM\MENUDATA\DEFAULT.LRS
As for removing them... Probably best bet is replacing your save with it, deleting the racer, then putting the save back.

Your save (called LEGORac1) will be in either of these places:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\LEGO Media\Games\LEGO Racers\Save\0

%LOCALAPPDATA%\VirtualStore\Program Files\LEGO Media\Games\LEGO Racers\Save\0

C:\Program Files (x86)\LEGO Media\Games\LEGO Racers\Save\0

C:\Program Files\LEGO Media\Games\LEGO Racers\Save\0

EDIT: Didn't notice QBUILD.LRS
Seems there are QBUILD.LRS files in each of the language folders inside MENUDATA too. These are identical to each other, but different to the one in MENUDATA.

Thanks for the quick replies.

I tried moving DEFAULT.LRS in the MENUDATA folder to my Save\0 folder and named it LegoRac1 (after I named the existing LegoRac1 as LegoRac1Backup).
I was able to see the default / pre-built racers and delete them off the roster.
I did the same for QBUILD.LRS in the MENUDATA folder, and was able to see the Quick Build options for each set, one named PLAYER and other named CHAMP (CHAMP being the circuit boss' cars).
However when I move this newly edited LegoRac1 back and rename it to DEFAULT.LRS or QBUILD.LRS and start a new save file, I still see Scooter, Joan of Kart, Roboracer, etc. as racer options to a new Circuit as if they were not deleted. I also tried going to the Builder mode and tested out Quick Build, and the pre-built racers are still building.

I am wondering if it has something to do with the fact that I see another LegoRac1 in Save\1\. I tried a third round of saves but this time replacing both save files in \0 and \1 but no luck.

I just tried it and it works fine. You don't really need to replace your original LegoRac1 file with the DEFAULT and QBUILD files, that's just if you want to edit or see the pre-built racers. All you need to do is delete all the existing racers on your save file and replace the original DEFAULT and QBUILD files with the empty save.

I figured out what I was doing wrong - I was not repacking my files into LEGO.JAM. I mistakenly thought that once extracted, the JAM wouldn't need to be put together again. Replacing the LRS files works -- thanks for all the help!

4 hours ago, jcdbm said:

I mistakenly thought that once extracted, the JAM wouldn't need to be put together again.

It does work like that if you move the original LEGO.JAM file away from the installation folder. You can just have the GAMEDATA and MENUDATA folders in there and the game will read directly from them. If you have the 2001 version you might need an empty LEGO.JAM file for it to work.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.