MultiRaider: Another Rock Raiders Minigame

BlenderIsac

BlenderIsac

Hello All

I created another Rock Raiders mini-game  called MultiRaider. It's a 2D, side view drilling platformer with any number of players.

If you find any bugs please notify me.

(WARNING: Teleport and dynamite sound effects are very loud. Turn down your sound when playing this game)

- exe file. If there is anyone wanting to do this on an other OS, just ask.

Thank you.

Wow, this is quite cool! A 2D sort of platformer adventure?

I'm very confused at the controls...

- how do I drop off resources at the Tool Store? (is that even a thing?)

- how do I do anything involving building? what does this have to do with the spanner? some things happen with down, left, and right, but you may just want to map these to some more keys (Q W E R T, maybe?)

- how do I use dynamite? Pressing DOWN while it's stuck in a wall does nothing

- any use for laser beams?

- DOWN to Use Tool doesn't make platforming sense, consider changing to Z X C or SPACE

- DOWN + Left/Right is bad, makes it very difficult to move around without rotating the tool (and vice versa), especially when repositioning yourself for a better drilling position

- drilling walls that are above me is annoying and difficult, I have to hold Up to spam-jump and Down to use the tool ... consider 'grappling' to a wall? (A grappling hook could be a cool addition... You have the controls all set up: aim and fire, and until you press Z again it won't release you. You can also use other tools whilst grappled)

Bugs and odd gameplay mechanics:

- Hard Rock is drillable? Sure I guess, just a bit weird

- could be nice to bring up the Instructions without having to quit

- Teleport in sound is very very loud

- character jumping feels... just.... odd. The bounciness when you land especially is weird.... I don't know how to describe it but it just doesn't feel like what it should do. It's just too bouncy and floaty. Maybe you could slow gravity down a bit?

It's quite good and I can see a lot of cool stuff has been done with it. I'm just confused at the controls. It reminds me quite a lot of Flash games. I really like the random cavern each time - maybe if you wanted, some bits of this cavern could be empty? I also like how resources have 'physics' and will jumble to the bottom of the floor.

I like it a lot. I'm aware most of my feedback has been negative but that's because I can't get the controls to work for me, but I really like what you've done :) 

BlenderIsac

Thank you for that feedback.

1: Yeah dropping off at the toolstores not a thing.

2: To use the spanner, you rotate it to change what building you want to build. The prices in ore and crystals are listed next to the buildings.

3: The dynamite and Sonic Blaster are droppable resources that will explode after Dynamite: 10s, Sonic Blaster: 3s. The Dynamite will insta-drill all walls around it (excluding solid) and the Sonic Blaster can very slowly mine. The dynamite uses up 5 ore by the way.

4: Laser Beams can be shot at other players (Dealing -25 health) or walls (They're pretty strong) but use up 2 or 4 crystals (I can't remember).

5: I don't want to add any keys because that makes the maximum players much lower. If it was a single player game I likely would give more keys.

6: ^ I understand this but I really only wanted four keys for each player.

7: A Grappling Hook would be cool and useful... Although i'm not sure how it would work with only four keys.

8: I did that before I added in Dynamite. If you were using a drill and came across dynamite, it would be annoying to go all the way back to the toolstore to get some.

9: I did those instructions very last minute.

10: Oh i'm so sorry, I meant to warn people of that.

11: I didn't notice that at all. I thought the bounciness was cool.

Ah, that makes a lot more sense - particularly with the use of dynamite and laser beams. You didn't put that in the Instructions anywhere, so no wonder I couldn't work anything out!

The dynamite sound is really really REALLY LOUD. Also the space around the Tool Store is really bright for no particular reason. Also it lags the game a little, especially if you have two next to each other.

You're also able to fall faster than the camera can move, which can result in you and the light around you being offscreen, which is weird.

Dynamite seems... a bit overpowered? you can just place it, run off to another wall, place another, go back to the first, pick up far more ore than you spent, drop another, go back to the second, etc etc etc and massively mine out caverns that way. Why bother with anything else? It even clears sideways and upwards walls far nicer than I could drill. I think the LRR placeable-dynamite system was better (maybe after placing dynamite you could revert back to a drill?) I like how you can kick it around (before it explodes :P)

One problem is that pressing DOWN to change tools at the Tool Store also registers as a Drop Dynamite / Fire Laser, which probably shouldn't be a thing.

But it's still fun and entertaining to see what the cavern has for you to collect :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.