Lego Racers Remastered

Zeroject

Hey Everyone im back with the same type of game i want to create or rather Remaster.

What i have been doing in this time of being away with no updates i have learned. Unity (Kinda). Blender. Substance Painter and Designer.

i have already made som of the bricks and a car with wheels

Final_render.png

The textures on the models is not done, they are just paint with roughness on blender.

The lego car can move in unity with some wierd wheels bugs that im trying to fix.

Here is a link to the video of the car moving. 

I'm using wheel Colliders to get the car feel more real (sounds stupid when its a lego car)

i want the player to feel the map where it shifts from maybe road to mud that you can feel the car driving diffrent.

I hope you the community can come with helpful tips or ideas or even help develop this game.

So the reason why im doing this. I want to be a game dev when im done in High School and take a Software Developer Education in Games in University.

this is for test to see if i really want to make games and to try my skills to the fullest.

• Cool Bro 2

lol username
3 hours ago, Zeroject said:

So the reason why im doing this. I want to be a game dev when im done in High School and take a Software Developer Education in Games in University.

this is for test to see if i really want to make games and to try my skills to the fullest.

Playing around with stuff like this is a great way to figure out where your strengths lie and what you have the most fun doing. My advice is to keep poking at it, try a bit of everything, and don't worry too much about making things perfect - you'll keep finding better and better ways to do things as you go. Just sit down, have fun, and make something, anything - even if you're just blindly plugging away at it without a single clue as to what you're doing at first. Plug every question you have into Google, and check out sites like the Polycount wiki, it links to a boatload of helpful stuff: http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Polycount

17 hours ago, Nokedli said:

Nice! What kind of remaster are you trying to do like recreate the maps or just get the game files of maps?

Im trying to recreate the whole game as much as i can. thats why it will take some time, but im enjoying the slow procces of seeing something comming together slowly. and thanks

4 hours ago, Zeroject said:

Im trying to recreate the whole game as much as i can. thats why it will take some time, but im enjoying the slow procces of seeing something comming together slowly. and thanks

I have tried to extract the maps to Unity with some success(The maps it self i got fully done but not the separate game object placed on them as i was looking for the code that had the coordinates for it), but never try to remake it. I notice you are also using Unity game engine, how experienced are you with it or modeling because for maps there is a lot involved?

On 3/14/2020 at 6:16 PM, Nokedli said:

I have tried to extract the maps to Unity with some success(The maps it self i got fully done but not the separate game object placed on them as i was looking for the code that had the coordinates for it), but never try to remake it. I notice you are also using Unity game engine, how experienced are you with it or modeling because for maps there is a lot involved?

First of all sorry that i havent replied

what my plan is for each map is.

Make an Area for the map where i place the road to be (just with unity standart blocks) and drive around to get just the right feeling of how the map should be.

after that i will TT everthing (TT = TEST TEXTURE) to get a feeling how the map would look like

after that i will put visual blocks in like a cabnit maybe som monkeys or anything like that to get the map more popping

TT the visual blocks

then ill make the models for the map

texture the roads

then complex texture the roads given depth fx: you can see tracks in sand after you droven over it

program the car spawn points in the right places

texture the models

then make some map art (if it needs any)

and finally either im just gonna copy the music from the old game or im gonna try to make new music for the game i dont know yet.

i play the old game besid while i work on the map i also have taken some pictures so i dont have to open the game every time when there needs to be a change.

I hope this give you an idea how im going to do things.

and with my moddeling i have made som (cringe) text intro's back in 2016 and then i have worked with a lot of tutorials paid and free.

Cyberbrickmaster86

I am fully on board with this remaster. I won't make suggestions for new features, since it's only the beginning of development and I don't know how sophisticated of a remake/remaster it's going to be. But I will say that if you want to give this a name outside of the Lego IP if necessary, my choice of a name would be: Build-It Racers. I only say this, because the unofficial remake of Lego Rock Raiders is called Manic Miners, so I'm just thinking if dropping the Lego ID might be the way to go.

To anybody following this development, im just gonna say that its little hard to work on the game right beacause of the corona outbreak. I will still try to do as much as i can in the weekends but in normal workdays i cant do much because my teachers are bombing us with stuff because or finals are comming soon. thats the only thing i have to say i hope you doing great and follow the rules your country has given you and stay safe.

Just a FYI: You don't have to make any Lego pieces yourself. There is an import plugin for Blender. Just build your stuff in Stud.io 2.0 and export as LDraw https://github.com/TobyLobster/ImportLDraw

That said, there is a lot more to Lego Racers than simply using the default "Vehicle" template and putting Lego pieces on it, not least you will require AI that can drive the cars around and Vehicle construction (imo the most complex part of Lego Racers). Here is project that's been in the making for ~3 years if you need some reference on what is needed to make Racers happen (I know it says 2018 but it rebranded from a Lego Island remake) https://papabrickolini.dev/current-projects-racers.html

So make a plan, first of all. Nothing happens without a good plan.

Hey everyone back here with a small update on whats going on in the development of lego racers remasterd. i have read all your comments and taken them to mind.

well this update is short because of my country have chosen to lockdown, and my finals is comming op too. Soo school is taken the most time right now. So the next update is comming about a long time in the future. anyway let the update begin

I have begun on working the layout for the map. it went okey there need to some fixes in sizes.

WlCTMfA.png

The whole layout is not done because of to reasons. 1 school is taking most of my time. 2 my car is not working as it should.

i know the car should not be perfect from the begning as the map is not done, but the car shouldnt react that hard either. what did i wrong, dont know i havent used the wheel physics in unity before. So i took it to youtube to find help and learn more about the wheel physics. i found a lady with a series on how the wheel physics works and started watching it and followed along.

(The first video in the series)

That was pretty much it for this update, i hope your all are doing great.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone back agian with an update to the game.

The first map IMPERIETS GRAND PRIX is doing great the layout of the map is nearly done only needing some more visual blocks and some changes to struckture.

you can see the comparison in the video below, while were at the video the car movemnet script have been completly rewritten and is now working as it should, but it still needs some fixes and some more functions.

i have also been thinking about if i should remake the music for the game, when i was still thinking about it i went into fl studio to just try and make something that had a tempo shift as the more laps you went through the faster the song will get

its not the best sounding, but i did make it in like 15min.

on to something new i have got a new member on the team named St44l and he have been working on some of the models, before i show you the models i just wanna thank baraklava for saying there is a program out there where all the lego pieces is allready made so rest of the models will come from there. anyway here comes the first building in the game.

xtw89lD.png

94RZ7gP.png

they still need some textures but that will come later on.

And thats it for this update i hope you all are doing great and i will love to hear more feedback from you guys it can really help to speed op the process and make it more fun and better.

• Like 2

Looks absolutely amazing! It's great watching this develop :D

I have decent Blender experience and in particular work with textures a lot (sample | sample), so could perhaps help out if you need such an artist further down the line

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/13/2020 at 11:18 AM, JimbobJeffers said:

Looks absolutely amazing! It's great watching this develop :D

I have decent Blender experience and in particular work with textures a lot (sample | sample), so could perhaps help out if you need such an artist further down the line

Sorry for the wait on a answer for so long, i had in my mind that i have already answered you. We would love to have you help us down the line. And to everybody else every help possible would be soo much appreciated.

Little upadate on the Game, the development have been put on hold. Beacuse of fianls comming op after that is done the development should go on at normal speed, else for now a little will be made on the game and no updates will come. Thanks for your understanding.

Cyberbrickmaster86

I look forward to seeing how this shapes up in the future. I know this virus outbreak is hard on all of us, so take care out there!

• 1 month later...

New Update

As of right now i have fixed my unity project as it could not open for some reason (not that i forgot to plug my harddrive in or anything).

The first map has left the layout face and will now go in the production face where all the beautiful details will come.

GH4pGvs.png

Dont mind the terrain being bigger then the map i need a big terrian to get more accrute with unity terrian editor. The see though stuff is my bountries, where the maximum i can terraform to.

A another note is im going to Deutschland in 2 weeks, i will try my best to do as much as i can.

I have worked on the first song to the map, i made it a bit more pirate theme.

That is it for this short update, i hope you enjoy these small updates.

• 4 weeks later...

New Update

Hope your all doing great, this update contains what i have done visual to the first map and what is happening in the future.

First of all the things i have done to the map.

i have sculpted the map to a more pleased look i took it in steps, first i made mountains that became really spikey

iDg1sJc.png

Later i smoothed it out a little and added small bumps to give the mountains a more rough look.

DiRpO4S.png

It is not to a degree that i like there are still some features there is needing like the top part of the cave and platform for some of the houses.

later on i will add them but i have decided to let it sit for now and focus on something else. Details comes later.

I have a little before and after pics too see how far iam with the mountains.

Before

PoUxOZN.png

After

jiB14r8.png

and one last pic for the update, i have colored the parts of mountain that needs a change the most.

Green means a little to the mountain

Yellow means needs some re scluping but the shape is there.

Red means it all needs to be redone.

Vj7EM0H.png

Thats all for the update. Now we go to what happening in the future.

I think i have worked much on the design of the map but not on the mechanics enough.

as mentioned in a past update i use wheel colliders in unity, mistake. I have no control over the tires or the car, it seems like unity use wieght to the car you can self change it but it multiplies with the size of the car, as of where im standing in skill and what i understand. I have no clue how the wheel colliders work, i thought i did, but its way more complex then i thought.

I have decided to program my script to control and move the car, this gives me more free room the just copy past the script to the diffrent cars without worrying about the cars having diffrent speeds.

Well short told i will now work on the car script and the power ups scripts. i have made a board where i can keep track what i need to do and what i have done, i did have a plan in the begning for the map but it was way to simple. I have made a link where you guys can see what im doing what are in progress and what is waiting this way, you can follow along and come with feedback when i upload screenshots of the codes.

thats it for this time next update will be a little more about getting the game op and running and maybe come with a version you guys can test how the car feels and the map.

Heres the link https://share.clickup.com/b/h/6-23692035-2/1957536cdfc1973

• 4 months later...
On 12/4/2020 at 11:56 PM, Nokedli said:

Hey!

You haven't made an update in a while. I was just curious on how the project is coming along.

Not great, my project kept breaking or i kept breaking it to the point where when i tried to test play, unity crashed. i decided to lay it down for little time to then come back and see what i did wrong i make it right again. in my school we began working on games and i learned a lot from the times there that i could use on this lego project. i havent got the time yet to come back to it.

• Sad 1

• 1 year later...
Cyberbrickmaster86

Considering this forum page has been silent for nearly two years, I'd take it that the project is cancelled, or not progressing enough for any necessary updates?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.