Zeroject

Lego Racers Remastered

Zeroject

Hey Everyone im back with the same type of game i want to create or rather Remaster.

What i have been doing in this time of being away with no updates i have learned. Unity (Kinda). Blender. Substance Painter and Designer.

i have already made som of the bricks and a car with wheels

Final_render.png

The textures on the models is not done, they are just paint with roughness on blender.

The lego car can move in unity with some wierd wheels bugs that im trying to fix.

Here is a link to the video of the car moving. 

I'm using wheel Colliders to get the car feel more real (sounds stupid when its a lego car)

i want the player to feel the map where it shifts from maybe road to mud that you can feel the car driving diffrent.

I hope you the community can come with helpful tips or ideas or even help develop this game.

So the reason why im doing this. I want to be a game dev when im done in High School and take a Software Developer Education in Games in University.

this is for test to see if i really want to make games and to try my skills to the fullest.

jamesster
3 hours ago, Zeroject said:

So the reason why im doing this. I want to be a game dev when im done in High School and take a Software Developer Education in Games in University.

this is for test to see if i really want to make games and to try my skills to the fullest.

Playing around with stuff like this is a great way to figure out where your strengths lie and what you have the most fun doing. My advice is to keep poking at it, try a bit of everything, and don't worry too much about making things perfect - you'll keep finding better and better ways to do things as you go. Just sit down, have fun, and make something, anything - even if you're just blindly plugging away at it without a single clue as to what you're doing at first. Plug every question you have into Google, and check out sites like the Polycount wiki, it links to a boatload of helpful stuff: http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Polycount

Nokedli

Nice! What kind of remaster are you trying to do like recreate the maps or just get the game files of maps?

Zeroject
17 hours ago, Nokedli said:

Nice! What kind of remaster are you trying to do like recreate the maps or just get the game files of maps?

Im trying to recreate the whole game as much as i can. thats why it will take some time, but im enjoying the slow procces of seeing something comming together slowly. and thanks

Nokedli
4 hours ago, Zeroject said:

Im trying to recreate the whole game as much as i can. thats why it will take some time, but im enjoying the slow procces of seeing something comming together slowly. and thanks

I have tried to extract the maps to Unity with some success(The maps it self i got fully done but not the separate game object placed on them as i was looking for the code that had the coordinates for it), but never try to remake it. I notice you are also using Unity game engine, how experienced are you with it or modeling because for maps there is a lot involved?

Zeroject
On 3/14/2020 at 6:16 PM, Nokedli said:

I have tried to extract the maps to Unity with some success(The maps it self i got fully done but not the separate game object placed on them as i was looking for the code that had the coordinates for it), but never try to remake it. I notice you are also using Unity game engine, how experienced are you with it or modeling because for maps there is a lot involved?

First of all sorry that i havent replied

what my plan is for each map is.

Make an Area for the map where i place the road to be (just with unity standart blocks) and drive around to get just the right feeling of how the map should be.

after that i will TT everthing (TT = TEST TEXTURE) to get a feeling how the map would look like

after that i will put visual blocks in like a cabnit maybe som monkeys or anything like that to get the map more popping

TT the visual blocks

then ill make the models for the map

texture the roads

then complex texture the roads given depth fx: you can see tracks in sand after you droven over it

program the car spawn points in the right places

texture the models

then make some map art (if it needs any)

and finally either im just gonna copy the music from the old game or im gonna try to make new music for the game i dont know yet.

i play the old game besid while i work on the map i also have taken some pictures so i dont have to open the game every time when there needs to be a change.

I hope this give you an idea how im going to do things.

and with my moddeling i have made som (cringe) text intro's back in 2016 and then i have worked with a lot of tutorials paid and free.

Cyberbrickmaster86

I am fully on board with this remaster. I won't make suggestions for new features, since it's only the beginning of development and I don't know how sophisticated of a remake/remaster it's going to be. But I will say that if you want to give this a name outside of the Lego IP if necessary, my choice of a name would be: Build-It Racers. I only say this, because the unofficial remake of Lego Rock Raiders is called Manic Miners, so I'm just thinking if dropping the Lego ID might be the way to go.

Zeroject

To anybody following this development, im just gonna say that its little hard to work on the game right beacause of the corona outbreak. I will still try to do as much as i can in the weekends but in normal workdays i cant do much because my teachers are bombing us with stuff because or finals are comming soon. thats the only thing i have to say i hope you doing great and follow the rules your country has given you and stay safe.

baraklava

Just a FYI: You don't have to make any Lego pieces yourself. There is an import plugin for Blender. Just build your stuff in Stud.io 2.0 and export as LDraw https://github.com/TobyLobster/ImportLDraw

That said, there is a lot more to Lego Racers than simply using the default "Vehicle" template and putting Lego pieces on it, not least you will require AI that can drive the cars around and Vehicle construction (imo the most complex part of Lego Racers). Here is project that's been in the making for ~3 years if you need some reference on what is needed to make Racers happen (I know it says 2018 but it rebranded from a Lego Island remake) https://papabrickolini.dev/current-projects-racers.html

So make a plan, first of all. Nothing happens without a good plan.

Zeroject

Hey everyone back here with a small update on whats going on in the development of lego racers remasterd. i have read all your comments and taken them to mind.

well this update is short because of my country have chosen to lockdown, and my finals is comming op too. Soo school is taken the most time right now. So the next update is comming about a long time in the future. anyway let the update begin

I have begun on working the layout for the map. it went okey there need to some fixes in sizes.

WlCTMfA.png

The whole layout is not done because of to reasons. 1 school is taking most of my time. 2 my car is not working as it should.

i know the car should not be perfect from the begning as the map is not done, but the car shouldnt react that hard either. what did i wrong, dont know i havent used the wheel physics in unity before. So i took it to youtube to find help and learn more about the wheel physics. i found a lady with a series on how the wheel physics works and started watching it and followed along.

(The first video in the series)

That was pretty much it for this update, i hope your all are doing great.