Rubberbanding on LI2

LesPaul

Hey guys,

First of all: I really appreciate all the work you're doing here! Everyone banding together to get these old childhood gems to work on modern machines.

I'm trying to get LI2 to work for my little brother. Its his birthday soon and want to suprise him with the games of his childhood. 

The game itself works fine, but there are a few hickups. A few i can live with, like the helicopter moving at INSANE speeds, and the skateboarding not working too great. 

There is however one problem that is halting game progress. In the desert race mission between the Mummies and the fishing mission, the car does nothing except rubber banding. It's like someone took over the controls and keeps pressing ctrl and alt randomly. The only control i've got over the car is left and right. 

The specs of the testing PC are a bit stupid, but the majority of Lego games run on it without a hitch (mostly)

CPU: i7 7820X

RAM: 32GB

GPU: 1080ti

The LI2ModManager is already in use. Mostly for the widescreen hack

Any ideas? You'd really help me out. It was one of his favorite games

Speaking of framerate, keep in mind that the Biplane minigame is impossible to complete at high framerates. I completed it on a PC which must have been running at about 40 FPS or something, but at the 60 FPS my rig can run the game just isn't winnable - you'll want to playtest that one to make sure it's actually winnable. Or you could just install the mod to fix it :P

5 hours ago, LesPaul said:

In the desert race mission between the Mummies and the fishing mission, the car does nothing except rubber banding. It's like someone took over the controls and keeps pressing ctrl and alt randomly.

This is absurdly weird and I've never heard of anything like it D: You're sure something isn't interfering with the game - like a rock lying on your Ctrl & Alt keys? The car has really weird behaviour when it hits a tree but overall it should drive just fne...

I'm sure that nothing's interfering with the controls. Even tried it with a different keyboard, i've heard some stories of high-polling rate keyboards causing some games to glitch out. Did not work either. It does it on it's own weirdly enough

• 3 months later...
lol username
2 minutes ago, jamesster said:

Windowed mode uncaps the framerate, which in turn, causes that. Some of the physics calculations in that minigame (among many other things in LI2) are directly tied to the framerate, so at unexpectedly high framerates, you get that result. At unexpectedly low framerates, the opposite happens. The fix would be to either find some way to cap the framerate, or run in fullscreen so the game's own FPS cap is active. If you go the former, I've heard RivaTuner can limit framerate artificially...? But I've never tried it myself, or heard of anyone trying it with LI2 specifically.

^ Just gonna crosspost my reply from the other thread here, in case anyone else stumbles upon it looking for an explanation.

And for those with Wine: Don't use the windowed mode mod and activate the virtual desktop to make the game playable again. Then even libstrangle works (either manually or with the FPS cap setting in Lutris).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.