Merry Christmas MOC

Jimbob

large.Final.jpg.be2c8d52ef4de01c1f505c7f

I made this in LEGO Digital Designer and rendered it in Blender for use on my cards this Christmas, thought I'd share it here :)

Hope you all have a great holiday!

Wow, that looks great and the building techniques used for things like the carpet are also neat!

Is Santa putting the pants on or off? Is it a reference to the "no pants" thing, that sometimes occured in replies to RRU user introductions many years ago? So many interpretations XD.

What was the most challenging or interesting part of your project (e.g. getting a light source correct or the positioning of the bricks)?

Also a great Christmas to you : ) !

P.S.: Is the thing in the lower left a router? As a follow up question in case I am correct (okay, not really XD): What's the bandwidth?

Thank you very much!

Haha the idea was him warming his butt by the fire, but interpret it how you like!

Normally lighting is the hardest part, but this was relatively smooth actually. Just a long process cleaning up all the bricks and getting the bevelling okay (smooth round edges on all the bricks instead of hard angles). The most interesting thing for me was figuring out how to translate the reference photos I had - none of a bare-butt Santa, to clarify - into LEGO. It was certainly nice to not be restricted by brick colours in LDD as I would be with real parts, I'm not sure if half of the pieces featured actually exist in those colours.

Cheers!

Sooo nah that black thing is meant to be one long power cable that's not plugged into anything, I wanted something to fill the gap there. Perhaps I should have looked up how other people make stuff in LEGO rather than fumbling around the LDD parts list trying to see what would work!

Let's say this house is in Britain which means they'll be lucky to have an upload speed beyond 3MB/s :P

Good to hear you didn't have a giant wall of Santa pictures (bonus insanity points for using pins connected via strings and saying "It all makes sense now!"). That would have been a bit worrisome XD.

Anyway: Good to hear, that the lighting part was without major problems. Is there the possibility to automate the cleaning up process and the bevelling or would it take forever to do such a thing, because there isn't an existing solution yet?
I know, what you mean with reference pictures and the colours in LDD. Some stuff is just hard to translate into LEGO form and if you were to build it in reality, there is always "that piece", which isn't available (or it costs way too much).

Nah, the cable part is fine. Have you seen one or more cables in the wild* (or rather the house)? If don't do cable managment, it usually ends up being a mess/pile anyway ^^.
I have only asked for the bandwidth and now I even know, what plugs and sockets are being used. Truly an amazing thread :D!

*that sounds like a really low budget version of Pokemon now

Wow, that looks amazing Jimbob! There's a lot of detail everywhere and it's a really nice scene. The lighting is highly illegal (glowing 1x1 studs?) but I'll let you off for that.

I love the couch, I love the window, I love the way the bricks on the wall come together, the stockings are fantastic even if I do only have that brick at the bottom in black (black stockings, I guess?) - everything's so well done.

On 12/22/2019 at 4:31 AM, JimbobJeffers said:

for use on my cards this Christmas

That's actually a brilliant idea...

And a merry Christmas to you too!

18 hours ago, Arthuriel said:

(bonus insanity points for using pins connected via strings and saying "It all makes sense now!")

this totally wasn't me

I don't know about automation as there's such a wide variety of parts with wacky meshes, the perfectionist in me wouldn't be satisfied. It's all good though I watched TV while doing it!

Yeeeaaah I'm not the best at cable management myself :P

Cheers for the praise aidenpons! I threw in tiny bulbs to the glowing LEGO parts to try and make it look like LEDs were used, but yeah, it's Christmas magic haha.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.