Black Command Screen in Training Mission

HillsOfTheWest

HillsOfTheWest

In Training Mission #2: Rock Types and Drilling, at some point, I find that the command screen will go black, with the HUD and cursor still displaying.  I can't click on anything the tutorial guy tells me to click, and I'm forced to restart the mission.

The one time I got it to work was when I tried completing the mission as quickly as possible, rapidly clicking the "next" button.  I found that if I waited to listen to the full voice track, I would get a black command screen.

This is with dgvoodoo on Windows 10, full screen mode.  This is the only mission I'm seeing this glitch, though I've yet to play more of the game past the first three training missions.  Just wanted to see if anybody has experienced this before, and if this can be remedied.  dgvoodoo is already running the game so well.

This seems to be an issue with the NERPs command SetCameraGotoTutorial. That's used to move the camera in the tutorial missions and very sparingly in main missions - example include the camera going to the Tool Store in Driller Night.

Its sister command, CameraLockOnObject (very rarely used), has not only caused a black screen but bricked an entire LRR installation - restarting LRR would result in a perpetual black screen, so I had to copy out one of my backups. :P So a black screen is only a minor glitch.

As for what you can do about it...? well, not much. If you enable debug keys via the -programmer parameter (super straightforward to do, 0% technical) you can hit F12 to bring up NoNERPs, which prevents commands like that from running. Unfortunately it also prevents the tutorial from progressing and, in actual game levels, prevents the victory condition from occurring. Fortunately you can get around that with the debug key Ctrl+S (which will also disable sound, press S to turn sound back on). It also, in a quirk of fate, disables slugs from spawning so if you really hate the slugs on Back to Basics you can just turn them off with debug key F12.

As for the tutorial levels, the only way to get around this black screen issue is just to not do them. :(

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.