Cirevam

Some of you may remember a user named Lair of the Rockwhales (now JessieTail) from way back in RRU's history. Back then, this fine fellow created a number of mods for Rock Raiders with a surprising level of quality, but some never made it to the general public. I recently unearthed an old ruin containing some artifacts that only a few people have seen before (plastic dating methods point to mid-2013). They were incomplete, so I did my best to restore them while keeping the original artist's intentions in mind. Thus, I present two vehicles as-is for you to use however you wish.

Mega Mole

This is the ultimate drilling machine and it's built off of the Chrome Crusher's animations. The vehicle was mostly complete and was only missing a hit and teleport animation. I actually helped work on it back in the day (probably just the wheels), but Lair's modeling skills surpassed mine at the time. There's an interior, but it was scrapped since culling out the drill ended up looking weird when drilling in first-person view.

large.MegaMolePreview.png.a2601a05c99c9f

Spoiler

large.0-picture.png.6f6122b3a0bcbba21146

large.mole1.png.7eca1f012ad4bacf06a072b6large.mole3.png.244c9771245136b211bdc7a6

Front Loader

The only things I found were the main body and a few pictures. All of the animations are made by me, as well as the bucket hinge. As upgrades are not supported, I made the idle animation shorter than the Small Transport Truck's; this makes the vehicle pick up materials more quickly since it waits for the idle animation to complete before moving on. I don't know what the original name is so I dubbed it the Front Loader.

large.FrontLoaderPreview.png.3eaa7ff8a51

Spoiler

large.IMG_04072013_182614.png.6753bc88ea

large.IMG_05072013_213110.png.81dbcbd88e

large.IMG_05072013_215514.png.85cd542098

There are no CFG edits included and I didn't leave much to support upgrades. I don't want to speculate as it would violate the spirit of brick-archaeology. If the original artist ever returns one day, maybe we can know the full story.

Download

Instructions

Back up your Data\Mini-Figures\Pilot folder and the SmallTruck and LargeDigger folders in Data\Vehicles. Copy the Data folder from the zipped file into your LRR installation directory. That's it... I don't know how to make a Cafeteria mod so this is all I can give for now.

Nice work reconstructing these! These must be some of the very few LRR MOCs that have actually managed to make it all the way! (That and Time Raiders, of course!) I haven't actually tried them out yet (hah) so I can't comment on the undoubtedly wonderful animation quality :P

I really like the Front Loader, in design, size, and execution. I wonder if it's possible to specify a Pickup animation... it probably is, given what the raider does. Would be cool to see it sweep stuff up into its bucket! (And also make it super slow. And behave silly when it comes to existing resources. Hmmm....)

Also, I presume that the Front Loader doesn't handle the STT's Carry upgrade properly (what with nine carry nulls total & CarryStart). So if you're doing this manually you'll probably want to edit those lines (to 16 lots of 3 and 0 respectively). And I guess that the Mega Mole still has CanDoubleSelect and Tracker so the game thinks it has a laser. So just don't double click on it I guess :P

I can't help but feel that these would both be better as entirely separate vehicles.... making them into a Cafeteria patch makes installing them straightforward (and should you want a manual installation you only have to unpack the .wadp using Wad Recycler and follow the instructions given in script.txt ) . Will definitely look into this, but I'm wondering how to make them a little unique... for the Front Loader. The STT does everything you want super fast. Maybe this thing could clear rubble as well? Hmmm... The Mega Mole is another drilling vehicle and we've already got three :P so its strategic role is a little less well defined.

Also, research and guesswork seem to indicate that what upgrades are possible are defined in the .ae - more specifically, the presence of Level0001, Level0010, Level0100, etc, in the .ae. That is to say, if you comment them out and remove them, regardless of what Lego.cfg says it won't be able to upgrade. (UpgradeCostOre/UpgradeCostStuds don't control whether a vehicle can upgrade or not). So that might fix some stuff regarding questionable upgrades without having to change any .cfg code.

I wonder what upgrades would work on the vehicles. I could see an Engine upgrade for both of them (gotta go fast) but given the lack of any notable spot to plonk UpgradeTypes I'm wondering what else could be done. I always liked how the original LRR vehicles showed their upgrades graphically, by jets, a second drill, or another pair of wheels, and it would be a shame not to do that. I'll just specify buckets to be placed on the wheel nulls

3 hours ago, Cirevam said:

That's it... I don't know how to make a Cafeteria mod so this is all I can give for now.

Don't worry, I'm on it ;) Just need to be in front of a PC with Cafeteria on it so I can test whether it actually works...

Edited by aidenpons
  • Like 1

On 10/2/2019 at 2:38 PM, Cirevam said:

Instructions

Back up your Data\Mini-Figures\Pilot folder and the SmallTruck and LargeDigger folders in Data\Vehicles. Copy the Data folder from the zipped file into your LRR installation directory. That's it... I don't know how to make a Cafeteria mod so this is all I can give for now.

Tada! Download, unzip, and place both files into your Mods folder. Overwrites the Small Transport Truck and Chrome Crusher.

Will hopefully be converting these into dedicated vehicles that don't overwrite existing vehicles sometime soon (after I play around with the new smoke functionality in CE...!)

Now that I can see the models in game, they look really good! The Mega Mole's lights 'light up,' but the Front Loader just has green studs, which I find strange. I really feel like I'm driving a tank with a drill on the front of it, which is really nice. I feel like this could drill a tunnel all alone!

First person drilling on the Mega Mole is glitchy (just like the Chrome Crusher) - maybe moving the drill null backward could help? It could be something with CollRadius colliding with the wall before the null does.

Also Cirevam, is it possible for you to get a nice MenuBMP for teleporting these down as new vehicles? It's the only thing they lack. I'm happy to do the Cafeteria legwork/manual instructions again.

Thanks mate. I'll get some menu images for these. I'll have to check the drill null again, but Cyrem had the same complaint, and I checked something and noticed that the drill null was ahead of the collision cylinder. The Small Digger is the same and doesn't climb walls so much, so I wanted to look into it. It seems like only larger vehicles do this for some reason.

I can add light cones to the Front Loader as well. This was a result of laziness as I didn't get the HP model in until the very end, after I had finished the animations. While I'm back in the animations, I can add some dummy nulls for upgrade support. Props to those of you who dredged up those Brickshelf galleries.

• Administrators
ShadowDraikana

After some further excavation of the ruins, I uncovered the ancient texts for these artifacts: 

Mega-Mole topic: 

Mega-Mole v4 topic: 

Front Loader topic: 

Last but not least, another ancient vessel I unearthed, the Cargo Cruiser:

Edited by Slimy Slug
Added link; changed formatting a bit
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/3/2019 at 6:36 PM, aidenpons said:

Tada! Download, unzip, and place both files into your Mods folder. Overwrites the Small Transport Truck and Chrome Crusher.

Will hopefully be converting these into dedicated vehicles that don't overwrite existing vehicles sometime soon (after I play around with the new smoke functionality in CE...!)

Well, I haven't gotten around to playing with the CE smoke functionality into something that's actually a releasable state, but I did turn these into standalone vehicles!

>Download!

Screenshots? Just refer to Cirevam's ones, I haven't changed the model. :P

Now in Cafeteria patch format that also doesn't overwrite the Chrome Crusher nor Small Transport Truck, so you can have all the vehicles!

Mega Mole is a souped-up Chrome Crusher - even more expensive and slightly better at drilling. Also a wee bit faster than a no-upgraded Chrome Crusher, but slightly slower than an upgraded variant.

The Front Loader is a poor raider's Small Transport Truck. It doesn't require the Support Station to be built, only costs 1 crystal, but is a little slower with no upgrades.

Also, if anyone wants to try and impersonate Chief, PM me you a recording of you saying "Mega Mole" and "Front Loader." I will happily add them into the game and, if you want, give no names as to who provided me with the voice files. :P Would be cool to have some tooltip sounds for them, but I understand nobody really wants to put themselves forward. So quietly DM me and I'll happily add them :)

@Cirevam - incorporated the icon for the Front Loader but if you have an icon for the Mega Mole I don't have it. Also, when you do add nulls for upgrades etc, let me know and I can implement them.

Edited by aidenpons

• 3 months later...

Cirevam was very nice and gave me lovely icons to use as well as some nulls.

I gave the Mega Mole an engine upgrade - I felt a Drill or Scanner upgrade would a) be mostly useless (already drills everything in <= 1s) and b) require some graphical indication, which I didn't feel capable of doing. Overall it's a more expensive but slightly speedier Chrome Crusher.

The Front Loader I put a lot more work into, with an Engine and Scanner upgrade. I was trying to get Carry to increase cargo space from 2 to 3, but LRR simply wouldn't let that happen (weird... I got Carry working on the Tunnel Scout fine), so that's not happening. :P If you unpack the .wadp you should be able to see the commented-out lines (unless Wad Recycler ate them, which it sometimes does) which to the best of my knowledge should work but don't.

large.front_loader_spot_the_difference.png.1e1092d4cd53a84507cd1c46f8419a8e.png

Again, many thanks to Cirevam - he made all the models and the icons, I just put them into the game.

(Split them into two separate downloads because they are now two separate fully functional units)

--> Mega Mole

--> Front Loader

• 1 year later...
On 3/6/2021 at 8:00 PM, phenix8fr said:

The Front loader link is corrupted , 0.0.kb ?

Oopsies, so it is, thanks for the heads-up! I've re-uploaded it, so it should be a nice .wadp ready to throw into Cafeteria. Dunno how that happened, but let me know if there are any other problems with it.

45 minutes ago, aidenpons said:

Oopsies, so it is, thanks for the heads-up! I've re-uploaded it, so it should be a nice .wadp ready to throw into Cafeteria. Dunno how that happened, but let me know if there are any other problems with it.

Now it's done ;) , it's not just a new skin but it's a new vehicle with all config for pilot et new .lws for animation . I need ad it to my RR united version :D

• 2 weeks later...

It's OK , Front Loader and MegaMole done ingame , very well ( and front loader can't carry more 3 ore/crytal because it's max "3objets" by bucket)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.