Cyrem

Rock Raiders: Community Edition (v1.0.3.1)

mjswdr

I can't seem to get this to work without Cafeteria. I was trying to run it on an install without Cafeteria so that I could use Axel's Mod (can't figure out how to use that with Cafeteria since there's no wadp file), but even with the vanilla WADs it won't launch...after the graphics mode selection box, my screen flashes black then nothing. The regular LegoRR file launches fine either way, and CE launches fine with Cafeteria. Any advice? I'm also using dgVoodoo if it matters, the game (vanilla or otherwise) won't launch without it. 

Cyrem

Back again for an update. You may remember a year or so ago I began work on implementing a scripting engine, back then it was Chiascript however felt that it was a little too slow. Since then I've upgraded to Angelscript which runs much much faster. It still keeps a similar C++ like syntax but with some added benefits.

What does scripting engine mean? It means you will now have to power to program features into LRR within the bounds of data and functions that are made available to you. Various hooks will be added throughout the game code to allow you to run your own code. The script engine will be very powerful and allow things such as... but not limited to:

• Reading your own config entries
  • Manipulating game variables
  • Loading images
  • Drawing images, text and shapes wherever you please
  • Detecting keyboard and mouse events
  • Saving a loading data between game launches.
  • much more.

What can be done with it? Many things can be, I've thought of some various examples you can now...

• Game Achievements
  • New hazards with HUD indicators
  • Custom load screens
  • Custom UI panels
  • New map data
  • Hotkeys
  • Control groups
  • Heaps more level scripting possibilities

Here is an example of a small radiation hazard mod, with a radiation indicator.

namespace xhazards {

// Globals
    float radiation = 0.0f;

int radLeft;
    int radBar;

void hook_init() {
        reset();
        radLeft = loadImage("radleft.png");
        radBar = loadImage("radBar.png");
    }

void hook_ui() {
        drawImage(radLeft, 5, window_height - 150);

int c = int( (10.0f/100.0f) * radiation );
        for (int i = 0; i < c; i++) {
            drawImage(radBar, 55 +(i*8), window_height - 150);
        }
    }

void reset() { 
        radiation = 0.0f;
    }

void initFromCFG(string lvl) {
        radiation = cfg_read_float(lvl+"::Radiation", 0.0f);
    }
}

As more data and control is given to the scripting engine, you will be able to achieve even more things that were never possible in LRR. And briefly on NERPS, all NERPS functions will be available to level scripts for legacy support. And best of all, you don't need to pre-compile them.

----

19 hours ago, mjswdr said:

I can't seem to get this to work without Cafeteria. I was trying to run it on an install without Cafeteria so that I could use Axel's Mod (can't figure out how to use that with Cafeteria since there's no wadp file), but even with the vanilla WADs it won't launch...after the graphics mode selection box, my screen flashes black then nothing. The regular LegoRR file launches fine either way, and CE launches fine with Cafeteria. Any advice? I'm also using dgVoodoo if it matters, the game (vanilla or otherwise) won't launch without it. 

Sorry to hear that, you said you can't get it to work without cafeteria, so does it work with it? It is possible to use Axel's Mod with Cafeteria. There is a folder called "DataSource", this is the game data BEFORE cafeteria modifies it to produce the final data in the "Data" folder. So you simply need to overwrite/replace the contents of "DataSource" with Axel's Mod data. Assuming his mod comes as WAD files, you will simply need to extract them with an extractor tool (there is one in Cafeteria itself or use WAD Recycler) and combine all the extracted data into the "DataSource" folder.

shaggy08251993

Back again just to confirm that using DDrawCompact 100% fixed the video freezing issue with dgVooDoo. Played like 3 or 4 levels in a row, totaling maybe 2 or 3 hours without a single freeze. WOOHOO! I've been looking for a fix for this for like 3 years. Thank you!

baraklava

How are the achievements saved? That sounds like it modifies the save file, which might break between iterations

rockboy
2 hours ago, baraklava said:

How are the achievements saved? That sounds like it modifies the save file, which might break between iterations

I think he saves them to file, and can then open that file later?

baraklava
2 hours ago, rockboy said:

I think he saves them to file, and can then open that file later?

Oh, right, might not be on a save-by-save basis... I guess the better question then is if saves are gonna be a thing at all, or if that's going to be re-worked? They felt kind of obsolete in LRR already and there was no reason to have multiple different saves other than if your siblings were playing the game on the same computer. 

aidenpons
7 hours ago, hotshot36 said:

i crash when ever i use the TNT, when the timer hits 2

This might not do anything, but try installing Extended Dynamite Countdown (with or without Cafeteria, your choice). Never heard of it crashing on 2 though. When placing, yes, when exploding, yes, but not 2.

hotshot36

i tryed that too, and it still crashed on 2, what every it is its CE, works fine without CE lol

Wattefugg

Hello, i've just reinstalled this game again (thanks to the guide here) on win10 and manually installed dgVoodoo, the masterpiece files and the CE files

with and without cafeteria the CE and vanilla game run fine

but when i try to run the CE in any other than the base resolution (tried with only Cafeteria set to Full HD, only the launcher and both) with only community edition core installed the game only gets to the loading screen and upon completion CTD's

did i miss a step/setting that i need to change?

breakingspell
On 7/22/2020 at 3:25 PM, Wattefugg said:

Hello, i've just reinstalled this game again (thanks to the guide here) on win10 and manually installed dgVoodoo, the masterpiece files and the CE files

with and without cafeteria the CE and vanilla game run fine

but when i try to run the CE in any other than the base resolution (tried with only Cafeteria set to Full HD, only the launcher and both) with only community edition core installed the game only gets to the loading screen and upon completion CTD's

did i miss a step/setting that i need to change?

I ran into the same thing, but realized you do have to re-build the game in Cafeteria after applying mods, CE Core included. 

That was the last step I needed for 1080p after using Cafeteria's online repo to download all the req'd files (their version and config of DGVoodoo2 as well). Game runs great!

Edit: Also running into TNT crashing the game as the countdown hits 2, but not every time (worked fine in It's a Hold Up, but crashes in Breathless). Can confirm that Extended Dynamite Countdown fixes it 👏

Frogposter

This may be the wrong place to post but I'm not sure where else to, I've recently discovered this website and after handling all my nostalgia I installed the game and community edition and it runs great. Though I'm unsure how to run it in higher res than 640 since I've seen some conflicting information on here. Cafeteria also isn't recognizing that I have core installed even after downloading the patch and rebuilding. Cafeteria keeps saying the community edition is false in settings. And doesn't this game have cutscenes? I haven't seen any for some reason. 

aidenpons
12 hours ago, Frogposter said:

This may be the wrong place to post but I'm not sure where else to, I've recently discovered this website and after handling all my nostalgia I installed the game and community edition and it runs great. Though I'm unsure how to run it in higher res than 640 since I've seen some conflicting information on here. Cafeteria also isn't recognizing that I have core installed even after downloading the patch and rebuilding. Cafeteria keeps saying the community edition is false in settings. And doesn't this game have cutscenes? I haven't seen any for some reason. 

It's probably a fine place, maybe one of the support subforums would have been better, but this is fine too.

In order to run LRR at greater resolutions, you need:

- Cafeteria (latest version)

- The CE:Core patch available from within Cafeteria's [+] button, which is Get More Mods. I would also link a manual download but I don't seem to be able to find it

- Community Edition (this thread, preferably also latest version)

By the sounds of what Cafeteria's saying, it's not recognising that Community Edition is installed - Cafeteria and Community Edition need to be sitting together in the same directory.

Once that's set up, you'll need to select your resolution option from inside Cafeteria, make sure CE:Core is enabled, then hit Re-Build Game and everything should work.

12 hours ago, Frogposter said:

And doesn't this game have cutscenes? I haven't seen any for some reason. 

It does, but they're only on the disc and not installed locally, so if you want the cutscenes you'll have to either have the CD in your computer :infomaniac: or copy them off the disc and into the Data\AVI folder. I don't think the cutscenes are uploaded anywhere here on RRU.

Vanderdecken

I nearly had a heart attack when I found this topic and saw "Fixed limited bug where waking a monster caused a crash." - I've been unable to complete Ice Spy and Don't Panic, because both crash as soon as a raider gets near a monster. Here's me deliberately reproducing this: https://imgur.com/b53aJRO

On Ice Spy I've even tried creating a squad armed with lasers, drilling all the caverns and sniping the sleeping monsters before doing any other drilling or building, but invariably one of the monsters wakes up and always, always crashes the game. This is the case even with 1.0.3.1 applied through Cafeteria:

UZcnbKJ.png

Is there anything I can do at all to help you fix the crash? Providing logs, configs, files, screen recordings? Discovering RRU a few weeks ago was incredible, I've been loving this game I hadn't played in decades and running it at HD resolutions with the music restored and high quality models has been so exciting, but I fear I might never be able to reach the end now :(

EDIT: having posted that, I just tried Don't Panic with all the above mods except CE disabled, and was able to complete it! So maybe there's a conflict between your monster fix and one of the other mods I have installed? Making CE the highest priority didn't resolve it.

I've also seen a crash using multiple monitors when the mouse cursor touches the edge between the game's monitor and another, but that's avoidable by setting Windows to use only one screen while playing.

EDIT2: I re-enabled all mods except Improvements Pack 1.0 and your Improvements Pack 1.3, and was able to get through Ice Spy and Don't Panic. So one of those modes makes the monster wake-up crash fix in CE ineffective. Do you know what you changed to fix that specific crash and whether one of those undoes that change?

Edited by Vanderdecken
update on crash

RareCandyMan

Thanks for everything you guys do to keep this great game alive!

I am trying to download to CE Core mod through Cafeteria so I can adjust the resolution, but I get a timeout error when I try to open the Online Patch Library. If someone has the files for that mod I would greatly appreciate a link.

aidenpons
On 11/15/2020 at 5:06 AM, Vanderdecken said:

I nearly had a heart attack when I found this topic and saw "Fixed limited bug where waking a monster caused a crash." - I've been unable to complete Ice Spy and Don't Panic, because both crash as soon as a raider gets near a monster. Here's me deliberately reproducing this: https://imgur.com/b53aJRO

<snip>

Is there anything I can do at all to help you fix the crash? Providing logs, configs, files, screen recordings? Discovering RRU a few weeks ago was incredible, I've been loving this game I hadn't played in decades and running it at HD resolutions with the music restored and high quality models has been so exciting, but I fear I might never be able to reach the end now :(

EDIT: having posted that, I just tried Don't Panic with all the above mods except CE disabled, and was able to complete it! So maybe there's a conflict between your monster fix and one of the other mods I have installed? Making CE the highest priority didn't resolve it.

I've also seen a crash using multiple monitors when the mouse cursor touches the edge between the game's monitor and another, but that's avoidable by setting Windows to use only one screen while playing.

EDIT2: I re-enabled all mods except Improvements Pack 1.0 and your Improvements Pack 1.3, and was able to get through Ice Spy and Don't Panic. So one of those modes makes the monster wake-up crash fix in CE ineffective. Do you know what you changed to fix that specific crash and whether one of those undoes that change?

I've actually never heard of that crash before, but, LRR often breaks in new and unusual ways even all these years later :P

The funny thing (and not the 'hahah' kind of funny, the 'gee that's interesting' kind of funny) is either of the Improvement Packs (mine and Cyrem's)... shouldn't do anything. All they do is tweak monster stats, really.... I'm struggling to think of anything they do that would cause something related to a monster wake-up. For instance, here's all mine does to an Ice Monster:

Spoiler

CFG:SetProperty Lego*\Stats\IceMonster\CanFreeze TRUE
CFG:SetProperty Lego*\Stats\IceMonster\FreezerTime  5
CFG:SetProperty Lego*\Stats\IceMonster\FreezerDamage -20
CFG:SetProperty Lego*\Stats\IceMonster\LaserDamage  40
CFG:SetProperty Lego*\Stats\IceMonster\PusherDamage  30

aka tweak damage values and allow freezer beams to do something when they hit them - nothing related to waking up. :S

Cyrem's Improvements Pack is similar, tweaking speed values, allowing them to cross water, hit a little harder, and some other minor things that really shouldn't have anything to do with a monster waking up...

Spoiler
// Increase Ice Monster Difficulty
CFG:SetProperty Lego*\Stats\IceMonster\RouteSpeed 1.4
CFG:SetProperty Lego*\Stats\IceMonster\PathCoef 1.0
CFG:SetProperty Lego*\Stats\IceMonster\RepairValue -20.0
CFG:SetProperty Lego*\Stats\IceMonster\Capacity 8
CFG:SetProperty Lego*\Stats\IceMonster\LaserDamage 5.0
CFG:SetProperty Lego*\Stats\IceMonster\PainThreshold 0.0
CFG:SetProperty Lego*\Stats\IceMonster\HealthDecayRate 0.0
CFG:SetProperty Lego*\Stats\IceMonster\AttackRadius 200.0
CFG:AddProperty Lego*\Stats\IceMonster\ CrossWater TRUE

CE:Core (the patch, not the modified executable) doesn't have anything that modifies monsters so I'm really at a loss here.... the fix must have been some magic within Community Edition's executable itself, but to my knowledge that's a black box which only Cyrem knows about...

As for what you could do, I guess you can try faffing with mod enablement (does one of the improvements pack cause a crash, or is it both, or is it only both together?), or you could edit the .wadp to not edit anything monster-related (they're both pretty well commented). As for how to do this...

0) make a backup of your mod patches first (always make backups!)

1) right-click on the patch in Cafeteria and hit Extract Patch (alternatively use Wad Recycler, but Cafeteria allows you to do this so may as well use it)

2) in your Mods folder, there will now be a folder with the name of the .wadp Cafeteria just extracted (this won't be the patch name that shows up inside Cafeteria tho)

3) open that folder and open script.txt (probably just use Notepad)

4) scroll down to monster changes (halfway for mine, at the bottom for Cyrem's), and delete anything you think is relevant

5) save, close script.txt

6) go back into Cafeteria, right-click on the patch and hit Re-Build Patch

7) Enable the patch, Re-Build Game, and run!

If that's too much hassle I can easily put a version together for you, just let me know if you're still reading this topic, hahah :)

Vanderdecken
On 1/5/2021 at 12:48 AM, aidenpons said:

I've actually never heard of that crash before, but, LRR often breaks in new and unusual ways even all these years later :P

The funny thing (and not the 'hahah' kind of funny, the 'gee that's interesting' kind of funny) is either of the Improvement Packs (mine and Cyrem's)... shouldn't do anything. All they do is tweak monster stats, really.... I'm struggling to think of anything they do that would cause something related to a monster wake-up.

CE:Core (the patch, not the modified executable) doesn't have anything that modifies monsters so I'm really at a loss here.... the fix must have been some magic within Community Edition's executable itself, but to my knowledge that's a black box which only Cyrem knows about...

I am still reading the topic :) Thanks for looking into it!

After Ice Spy and Don't Panic, I re-enabled Cyrem's Improvements Pack and was able to play crash free (without yours)... until Air Raiders. Now it doesn't seem specifically related to waking ice monsters up (because there are no sleeping ones) but sometimes, not always, when there's a monster roaming around in the level the game crashes to desktop. It's happened 3 times, the last one after I'd spent an hour building a lovely base :'(

The last time it happened the monster was offscreen so I didn't see what it did at the moment of crashing, but it was only about 2-3 seconds after the monster had appeared, and I hadn't activated Action Stations yet. In the same session two monsters had previously spawned and been killed by my raiders with Laser Beams without a problem, but when it crashed I don't know if anyone was shooting, or maybe if it had wandered into an Electric Fence (though that would be surprisingly soon after it spawned).

But it's definitely linked to the ice monsters.

I'll try your patch editing method so that I can keep the improvement pack(s) enabled and try again (it's unplayable without them these days, particularly in Air Raiders - all those landslide notifications). Is there any idea to/would it be possible to implement some kind of exception handling or logging in CE so that when the game crashes it can log what it was doing at the time?

aidenpons

It is worth noting that LRR is not the most stable game out there and random crashes still and do occur. But those are generally random and not triggered, which is what you've described...

If it's purely Ice Monsters - and not Rock/Lava Monsters (you seem to have gotten through Lava Laughter and Rock Hard with no mention of crashes), I guess you could just mod the Ice Monsters to not be there, and have Rock Monsters instead?

The easiest way to do this within Cafeteria without making a patch is to edit the files in the DataSource folder (Cafeteria takes this folder as a base, applies all the mods, then either puts the result in Data or into the .wad files, depending on whether you have Data Method enabled or not). As such,

0) make a backup first (just copy the entire DataSource folder to somewhere safe, or, better yet, copy out your entire LRR directory again)

1) go into DataSource and open Lego.cfg with Notepad or better (I like Notepad++ myself, but given how simple this mod should be you can use Notepad)

2) Search for Air_Raiders (with underscore, assuming your version is English - if it isn't, search for Level21, which will return a couple of odd hits elsewhere but still get you there)
3) Find the section that begins like this

Spoiler

Level21 {

FullName                                Air_Raiders

AllowRename                        TRUE

4) Scroll down a few lines till you get to

EmergeCreature							IceMonster

5) Change IceMonster to RockMonster

6) Save Lego.cfg and close it

7) Go into Cafeteria, Re-Build Game, and launch!

Side note, but if you wanted to disable monsters entirely on that level, the easiest way to do that would be to put a semicolon (which is LRR's comment symbol) in front of the line that begins EmergeMap, so you'd end up with this:

;EmergeMap								Levels\GameLevels\Level21\Emrg_21.map

I... think that'll work. It'll definitely work on its own, but my Improvements Pack has a... ballistic way of going about its changes (it used to eat up the entire levels section XD - it's better now), and so that might cause one build error upon re-building. But if it does cause a build error it's not important and you can happily ignore it.

Side side note, but if you wanted to swap all the Ice Monsters in Ice Spy out for Rock Monsters, that's different as they're objects placed there on level start, not emerge ones - as such, you'd need to edit ObjectList.ol (often called something like 21.ol). Except due to running my Improvements Pack you'd want to edit inside my Improvements Pack: Levels\GameLevels\Level15\ObjectList.ol , as changes made to the original level files will all be eaten by my Improvements Pack.

2 hours ago, Vanderdecken said:

Is there any idea to/would it be possible to implement some kind of exception handling or logging in CE so that when the game crashes it can log what it was doing at the time?

It's certainly an idea, but it's just not feasible: LRR isn't a game that can easily be logged like that. There is a really nice -log option for CE that is really great when troubleshooting crashes that happen as the game is loading (great for modding), but, that's about all there is and it definitely won't help with anything in-game. I wish I could give you a better explanation but it's magic beyond my reckoning.

Oh, and one last thing: I notice you've got a patch called Missing CD Files Fix by Cyrem down the bottom. I couldn't find this patch when I looked through the RRU Files database (and Oresome too). I'm guessing you got it via the Online Patch Library? Would you mind uploading it (to RRU or elsewhere), just so I can take a look and see if it does anything of interest (it probably doesn't)

Kered13

I'm trying to install the Community Edition but it just goes to a black screen and then crashes (no error message).

I have been able to get the base game to run using the dgVoodoo2 wrapper. I downloaded the latest version of the community edition and extracted LegoRRCE.exe and lrrce.dll to my Rock Raiders folder. I then tried running LegoRRCE.exe as administrator. I get the launch screen and run with 640x480 (the only option available), but it crashes. I tried disabling the two test fixes (CryDrain Fix and DivideByNeo Fix) in the launcher, but it still crashed.

I have not tried installing Cafeteria, I wanted to make sure that the Community Edition worked on it's own first.

JimbobJeffers

Unfortunately as much as I'd love to play RR:CE, I wasn't able to get it working on my PC either. Vanilla LRR and Cafeteria with various mods work fine for me too. I've tried on Windows 10 and a virtual machine of Windows 7 with various configurations to no success.

I'm sure it's something on my end, but it could be that both of us have system setups that Cafeteria isn't playing nice with :P

aidenpons
10 hours ago, Kered13 said:

I have not tried installing Cafeteria, I wanted to make sure that the Community Edition worked on it's own first.

This is the thing: Community Edition requires certain elements that the CE:Core for Cafeteria patch adds. You can use Cafeteria without using Community Edition, but  not the other way round: you can't use Community Edition without Cafeteria.

For reference, since it's a bit hard to find, Jimbob linked the CE:Core patch earlier in this topic.

Worth noting this wasn't the case with much older version of CE, which didn't require Cafeteria.

Kered13
5 hours ago, aidenpons said:

This is the thing: Community Edition requires certain elements that the CE:Core for Cafeteria patch adds. You can use Cafeteria without using Community Edition, but  not the other way round: you can't use Community Edition without Cafeteria.

For reference, since it's a bit hard to find, Jimbob linked the CE:Core patch earlier in this topic.

Worth noting this wasn't the case with much older version of CE, which didn't require Cafeteria.

Thank you, I got got that to work.

Next I tried increasing the resolution to 1440p in Cafeteria, but I got this effect: apEXr1d.png

The cursor isn't drawing right, and there is a double window.

Vanderdecken
On 1/9/2021 at 9:01 PM, aidenpons said:

It is worth noting that LRR is not the most stable game out there and random crashes still and do occur. But those are generally random and not triggered, which is what you've described...

If it's purely Ice Monsters - and not Rock/Lava Monsters (you seem to have gotten through Lava Laughter and Rock Hard with no mention of crashes), I guess you could just mod the Ice Monsters to not be there, and have Rock Monsters instead?

Thank you so much, that's plenty of stuff to try (I didn't even get round to trying the previous method yet) so I'll give it ago. Yes, it does seem to be a pattern with emerging Ice Monsters, after disabling the Improvement Pack which got me through Ice Spy I didn't have any trouble since, including many Lava Monsters.

On 1/9/2021 at 9:01 PM, aidenpons said:

Oh, and one last thing: I notice you've got a patch called Missing CD Files Fix by Cyrem down the bottom. I couldn't find this patch when I looked through the RRU Files database (and Oresome too). I'm guessing you got it via the Online Patch Library? Would you mind uploading it (to RRU or elsewhere), just so I can take a look and see if it does anything of interest (it probably doesn't)

Here it is: https://we.tl/t-ioFPwPkrID

Looks like a combo of the interface music WAVs from your Atmosdel and Stats.wav and the AVIs from Rock Raiders AVI Cutscenes in patch format.

I heard the patch library was down, but I hoped it was only temporary. Does this mean it or Cyrem aren't coming back? :'(

aidenpons
On 1/14/2021 at 3:08 PM, Kered13 said:

Thank you, I got got that to work.

Next I tried increasing the resolution to 1440p in Cafeteria, but I got this effect: 

Spoiler

apEXr1d.png

The cursor isn't drawing right, and there is a double window.

Hm. Silly question, but did you hit Re-Build Game with CE:Core enabled after you changed your resolution in Cafeteria? That bug really shouldn't be occuring...

I think I know why it occurs though: the "bigger" window is just LRR stretching to fit on the loading screen. It then loads and the menu comes up. However, the texture for the background of the menu is not the correctly sized one (for whatever reason - it should be there, so all I can think of is something went kaput in the patch process), so LRR loads the original 800x600 one, which goes up in the top left corner. However the menu elements are adjusted correctly, so they end up in the middle.

I think that if you try playing the game (the menu buttons should still work), even in that state the game should be playable. The UI might be all over the place, but it should work. After all, it loaded, and that's already a step in the right direction :P Or maybe you could try lowering the resolution a little if that doesn't work?

23 hours ago, Vanderdecken said:

Thank you so much, that's plenty of stuff to try (I didn't even get round to trying the previous method yet) so I'll give it ago. Yes, it does seem to be a pattern with emerging Ice Monsters, after disabling the Improvement Pack which got me through Ice Spy I didn't have any trouble since, including many Lava Monsters.

Hopefully one of the workarounds will work. I wonder why this occurs.

Here it is: https://we.tl/t-ioFPwPkrID

Looks like a combo of the interface music WAVs from your Atmosdel and Stats.wav and the AVIs from Rock Raiders AVI Cutscenes in patch format.

Thanks for that! Yeah, that looks about right: add some of the music that vanished back in, and add the cutscenes back in. So nothing related to monsters at all.

I heard the patch library was down, but I hoped it was only temporary. Does this mean it or Cyrem aren't coming back? :'(

Too early to say. The good news is that almost everything still works: the manual RRU database is still up and CE & Cafeteria still work together. We'll have to see, but I wouldn't bank on it coming back up.