Cyrem

Rock Raiders: Community Edition (v1.0.3.1)

mjswdr

I can't seem to get this to work without Cafeteria. I was trying to run it on an install without Cafeteria so that I could use Axel's Mod (can't figure out how to use that with Cafeteria since there's no wadp file), but even with the vanilla WADs it won't launch...after the graphics mode selection box, my screen flashes black then nothing. The regular LegoRR file launches fine either way, and CE launches fine with Cafeteria. Any advice? I'm also using dgVoodoo if it matters, the game (vanilla or otherwise) won't launch without it. 

Cyrem

Back again for an update. You may remember a year or so ago I began work on implementing a scripting engine, back then it was Chiascript however felt that it was a little too slow. Since then I've upgraded to Angelscript which runs much much faster. It still keeps a similar C++ like syntax but with some added benefits.

What does scripting engine mean? It means you will now have to power to program features into LRR within the bounds of data and functions that are made available to you. Various hooks will be added throughout the game code to allow you to run your own code. The script engine will be very powerful and allow things such as... but not limited to:

• Reading your own config entries
  • Manipulating game variables
  • Loading images
  • Drawing images, text and shapes wherever you please
  • Detecting keyboard and mouse events
  • Saving a loading data between game launches.
  • much more.

What can be done with it? Many things can be, I've thought of some various examples you can now...

• Game Achievements
  • New hazards with HUD indicators
  • Custom load screens
  • Custom UI panels
  • New map data
  • Hotkeys
  • Control groups
  • Heaps more level scripting possibilities

Here is an example of a small radiation hazard mod, with a radiation indicator.

namespace xhazards {

// Globals
    float radiation = 0.0f;

int radLeft;
    int radBar;

void hook_init() {
        reset();
        radLeft = loadImage("radleft.png");
        radBar = loadImage("radBar.png");
    }

void hook_ui() {
        drawImage(radLeft, 5, window_height - 150);

int c = int( (10.0f/100.0f) * radiation );
        for (int i = 0; i < c; i++) {
            drawImage(radBar, 55 +(i*8), window_height - 150);
        }
    }

void reset() { 
        radiation = 0.0f;
    }

void initFromCFG(string lvl) {
        radiation = cfg_read_float(lvl+"::Radiation", 0.0f);
    }
}

As more data and control is given to the scripting engine, you will be able to achieve even more things that were never possible in LRR. And briefly on NERPS, all NERPS functions will be available to level scripts for legacy support. And best of all, you don't need to pre-compile them.

----

19 hours ago, mjswdr said:

I can't seem to get this to work without Cafeteria. I was trying to run it on an install without Cafeteria so that I could use Axel's Mod (can't figure out how to use that with Cafeteria since there's no wadp file), but even with the vanilla WADs it won't launch...after the graphics mode selection box, my screen flashes black then nothing. The regular LegoRR file launches fine either way, and CE launches fine with Cafeteria. Any advice? I'm also using dgVoodoo if it matters, the game (vanilla or otherwise) won't launch without it. 

Sorry to hear that, you said you can't get it to work without cafeteria, so does it work with it? It is possible to use Axel's Mod with Cafeteria. There is a folder called "DataSource", this is the game data BEFORE cafeteria modifies it to produce the final data in the "Data" folder. So you simply need to overwrite/replace the contents of "DataSource" with Axel's Mod data. Assuming his mod comes as WAD files, you will simply need to extract them with an extractor tool (there is one in Cafeteria itself or use WAD Recycler) and combine all the extracted data into the "DataSource" folder.

shaggy08251993

Back again just to confirm that using DDrawCompact 100% fixed the video freezing issue with dgVooDoo. Played like 3 or 4 levels in a row, totaling maybe 2 or 3 hours without a single freeze. WOOHOO! I've been looking for a fix for this for like 3 years. Thank you!

baraklava

How are the achievements saved? That sounds like it modifies the save file, which might break between iterations

rockboy
2 hours ago, baraklava said:

How are the achievements saved? That sounds like it modifies the save file, which might break between iterations

I think he saves them to file, and can then open that file later?

baraklava
2 hours ago, rockboy said:

I think he saves them to file, and can then open that file later?

Oh, right, might not be on a save-by-save basis... I guess the better question then is if saves are gonna be a thing at all, or if that's going to be re-worked? They felt kind of obsolete in LRR already and there was no reason to have multiple different saves other than if your siblings were playing the game on the same computer. 

hotshot36

i crash when ever i use the TNT, when the timer hits 2

aidenpons
7 hours ago, hotshot36 said:

i crash when ever i use the TNT, when the timer hits 2

This might not do anything, but try installing Extended Dynamite Countdown (with or without Cafeteria, your choice). Never heard of it crashing on 2 though. When placing, yes, when exploding, yes, but not 2.

hotshot36

i tryed that too, and it still crashed on 2, what every it is its CE, works fine without CE lol

Wattefugg

Hello, i've just reinstalled this game again (thanks to the guide here) on win10 and manually installed dgVoodoo, the masterpiece files and the CE files

with and without cafeteria the CE and vanilla game run fine

but when i try to run the CE in any other than the base resolution (tried with only Cafeteria set to Full HD, only the launcher and both) with only community edition core installed the game only gets to the loading screen and upon completion CTD's

did i miss a step/setting that i need to change?

breakingspell
On 7/22/2020 at 3:25 PM, Wattefugg said:

Hello, i've just reinstalled this game again (thanks to the guide here) on win10 and manually installed dgVoodoo, the masterpiece files and the CE files

with and without cafeteria the CE and vanilla game run fine

but when i try to run the CE in any other than the base resolution (tried with only Cafeteria set to Full HD, only the launcher and both) with only community edition core installed the game only gets to the loading screen and upon completion CTD's

did i miss a step/setting that i need to change?

I ran into the same thing, but realized you do have to re-build the game in Cafeteria after applying mods, CE Core included. 

That was the last step I needed for 1080p after using Cafeteria's online repo to download all the req'd files (their version and config of DGVoodoo2 as well). Game runs great!

Edit: Also running into TNT crashing the game as the countdown hits 2, but not every time (worked fine in It's a Hold Up, but crashes in Breathless). Can confirm that Extended Dynamite Countdown fixes it 👏

Frogposter

This may be the wrong place to post but I'm not sure where else to, I've recently discovered this website and after handling all my nostalgia I installed the game and community edition and it runs great. Though I'm unsure how to run it in higher res than 640 since I've seen some conflicting information on here. Cafeteria also isn't recognizing that I have core installed even after downloading the patch and rebuilding. Cafeteria keeps saying the community edition is false in settings. And doesn't this game have cutscenes? I haven't seen any for some reason. 

aidenpons
12 hours ago, Frogposter said:

This may be the wrong place to post but I'm not sure where else to, I've recently discovered this website and after handling all my nostalgia I installed the game and community edition and it runs great. Though I'm unsure how to run it in higher res than 640 since I've seen some conflicting information on here. Cafeteria also isn't recognizing that I have core installed even after downloading the patch and rebuilding. Cafeteria keeps saying the community edition is false in settings. And doesn't this game have cutscenes? I haven't seen any for some reason. 

It's probably a fine place, maybe one of the support subforums would have been better, but this is fine too.

In order to run LRR at greater resolutions, you need:

- Cafeteria (latest version)

- The CE:Core patch available from within Cafeteria's [+] button, which is Get More Mods. I would also link a manual download but I don't seem to be able to find it

- Community Edition (this thread, preferably also latest version)

By the sounds of what Cafeteria's saying, it's not recognising that Community Edition is installed - Cafeteria and Community Edition need to be sitting together in the same directory.

Once that's set up, you'll need to select your resolution option from inside Cafeteria, make sure CE:Core is enabled, then hit Re-Build Game and everything should work.

12 hours ago, Frogposter said:

And doesn't this game have cutscenes? I haven't seen any for some reason. 

It does, but they're only on the disc and not installed locally, so if you want the cutscenes you'll have to either have the CD in your computer :infomaniac: or copy them off the disc and into the Data\AVI folder. I don't think the cutscenes are uploaded anywhere here on RRU.

Vanderdecken

I nearly had a heart attack when I found this topic and saw "Fixed limited bug where waking a monster caused a crash." - I've been unable to complete Ice Spy and Don't Panic, because both crash as soon as a raider gets near a monster. Here's me deliberately reproducing this: https://imgur.com/b53aJRO

On Ice Spy I've even tried creating a squad armed with lasers, drilling all the caverns and sniping the sleeping monsters before doing any other drilling or building, but invariably one of the monsters wakes up and always, always crashes the game. This is the case even with 1.0.3.1 applied through Cafeteria:

UZcnbKJ.png

Is there anything I can do at all to help you fix the crash? Providing logs, configs, files, screen recordings? Discovering RRU a few weeks ago was incredible, I've been loving this game I hadn't played in decades and running it at HD resolutions with the music restored and high quality models has been so exciting, but I fear I might never be able to reach the end now :(

EDIT: having posted that, I just tried Don't Panic with all the above mods except CE disabled, and was able to complete it! So maybe there's a conflict between your monster fix and one of the other mods I have installed? Making CE the highest priority didn't resolve it.

I've also seen a crash using multiple monitors when the mouse cursor touches the edge between the game's monitor and another, but that's avoidable by setting Windows to use only one screen while playing.

EDIT2: I re-enabled all mods except Improvements Pack 1.0 and your Improvements Pack 1.3, and was able to get through Ice Spy and Don't Panic. So one of those modes makes the monster wake-up crash fix in CE ineffective. Do you know what you changed to fix that specific crash and whether one of those undoes that change?

Edited by Vanderdecken
update on crash