Cyrem

Rock Raiders: Community Edition (v1.0.3.1)

Cyrem

ce_banner.jpg

What is It?
LRR:CE
is an enhanced new version of the original LEGO Rock Raiders. It is built to respect the original game without messing with the formula that made it memorable. It is designed to be applied over the Masterpiece edition of LRR and improves a number of aspects over the original game. See the Roadmap for things planned.

Screenshots

lrrce_launch.jpglrrce_load.jpg

lrrce_game.jpg

Release log

v1.0.3.1

• Fixed an exception on start when debug output is enabled.
  • Fixed cursor icon changing when mission brief switches.
  • Fixed limited bug where waking a monster caused a crash.
  • Improved level scrolling to mimic the original style.
  • Added "-datadir <dir>" exe parameter to change the relative Data folder path.
  • Added Hotkey "T" for teleport Rock Raider. (Not compatible with debug keys)
  • Removed some startup disc drive checks causing message boxes.
  • Removed a registry check for HAL Message.
  • Clean Up

Spoiler

v1.0.3.0

Note: This is the first resolution compatible release. With this version, the main menu, level select and in-game UI are now compatible with higher resolutions selected in Cafeteria. To use this feature you MUST download the "Community Edition Core" mod for Cafeteria. This can be downloaded from within Cafeteria by going to the Online Patch Library. You do not need Cafeteria to play CE in 640x480, but you will if you want to play it in a higher resolution. This version brings the resolution patches in line with the old PREVIEW 1 edition of CE.

• Adapts orebar to window width.
  • Forward/back button positions on mission brief now configurable.
  • Added Property: LegoRRCE::UI::BriefingPanel::NextButtonPos x,y
  • Added Property: LegoRRCE::UI::BriefingPanel::BackButtonPos x,y
  • Adapts ore/crystal amount text to window size
  • Adapts crystal slot images to window size
  • Adapts level select scrolling to window size.
  • Adapts menu background surface size to window size.
  • Default resolution in Mode Selection matches resolution specified with the -res parameter
  • LRR Bug Fix: Back button does not work on mission brief on the last panel.

v1.0.2.3

• Fixes block pointers not being detected in v1.0.2.2. (Fixes win conditions on a number of levels).

v1.0.2.2

+ Refactored CE properties paths from Lego*::CE:: to LegoRRCE::
+ Temporary Fix for crash when using more than 11 unit icons.
+ Misc changes.

v1.0.2.1

+ Fixed cfg path bug for HazardousLiquidTypes causing load crash on WindowsXP

v1.0.2.0

New Things
+ Added Lego*::CE::MonsterThrowDamage to change the damage incurred to a minifig. (Default 10.0)
+ Added Lego*::CE::UI::BuildPanel::SwitchSpeed to change how fast the build panel changes. (Default 750.0) 
+ Added Lego*::CE::HazardousLiquid section to configure Lava into different types of liquid. Now you can have differt types of eroding liquids. (See extra notes)
+ Added Lego*::Levels::HazardousLiquidType property to select the a liquid type.
+ RockFallStyles now supports 64 styles, up from only 4.

Milestone 1
+ Made Build Panel position relative to window size.
+ Matched Menu icon draw bounds to window size. 

Other Changes
+ Changed Error Message Box to only appear if logging is enabled.

[Notes]
Add new types of eroding liquids by adding this block to Lego*::CE in your Lego.cfg file. 
There is also a sample liquid added. You can set which liquid to use in a level with the 
property "HazardousLiquidType  <typename>". Files in the BMP path folder should have the 
same name as the name of the liquid type. For example Acid's BMP files must be 
Acid0.bmp, Acid1.bmp etc..

Lego* {
	CE {
        HazardousLiquidTypes {
            Acid {
                Tooltip           Acid
                SmokeStream       TRUE
                SmokeStreamRGB    30:255:30
                ErodeSmoke        FALSE
                SmokeStreamBMPCount     3
                SmokeStreamBMPPath      MiscAnims\SmokeAcid
            }
        }
    }
}

v1.0.1.0

+ Updated Mode Select layout and updated window Styles
+ Updated game icon.
+ LRR Window can be minimized.
+ Up to 100 WADs can be loaded. (Previouly 10 maximum)
+ Parameter -startLevel no longer requires the FrontEnd property to be disabled - (fixes UI softlocks when using this parameter).
+ Parameter -nointro has been added. Disables startup splash screens.
+ Parameter -log has been added. Shows a debug console with output.
+ Added Console window for log output.
+ Added logging for CFG Read,String,Bool,RGB,TiltMinMax
+ Added InitialOxygen property for levels.
+ Added UnpoweredCrystalRGB/PoweredCrystalRGB properties for levels.
+ Replaced window caption text with Community Edition and version number.
+ Added Debug Overlay including General/Registers/Camera modes. Press [~]+[1..3] to enable.
+ Matched avi video size to window size.
+ Added test fix: DivideByNeo to prevent some random crashes.
+ Added test fix: CryDrain to prevent Crystal Drain on hand lazer.

Requirements

You need your original copy of LEGO Rock Raiders to play this.

Download Links

Installing

1. Backup your original LRR game.

2. Extract the package into your LRR install directory. (Replacing any files)

3. Enjoy.

Enhance Your Game!

Beyond Community Edition you can enhance your game even further with these tools and extra's!

Cafeteria - Mod Loader/Installer + Higher resolutions!

While not required at this time to play with LRR:CE, Cafeteria is a great way to play mods made by this community without much effort to install them.
Download Cafeteria

Music Fix

LRR traditionally requires a disc to be inserted so that music can be played. With this, you can play local music!
Install the Music Fix

DirectX Wrappers

Having difficulty running LRR? or is it super laggy? You probably need a DirectX wrapper to resolve it. You have two options depending on your needs, DDrawCompat and dgVoodoo 2. DDrawCompat speeds up DirectDraw calls, it's the best way to experience LRR in it's original form without any extra fancy options. dgVoodoo goes further giving you a whole host of graphics improving features, you can even combine it with Reshade and get some special shader effects!

Feedback/Bugs/Suggestions

All feedback is welcome. Post ideas or suggestions in the Roadmap topic and post bugs in either this topic or a new forum topic inside the CE forum.

Special thanks to Slimey Slug, Frozen Snow, Cirevam & aidenpons who have done countless tests for me.

aidenpons

:gasp:

giphy.gif

13 hours ago, Cyrem said:

Added InitialOxygen property for levels.

O.O I can immediately see a use for this. Heck, with this, I'll be able to tie victory to getting the oxygen back to up full: (a la A Breath of Fresh Air). I can even do trolling stuff of opening up caverns with invisible monsters with an OxygenCoef of 10 to force the air to drop regardless of your RR count :smug: This was always possible but would behave extremely clunkily with oxygen starting at its maximum.

13 hours ago, Cyrem said:

+ Added Debug Overlay including General/Registers/Camera modes. Press [~]+[1..3] to enable.

:gasp: I can also see an immediate use for this as many of my scripts use a register to work out where they are in the level, and this frequently plays up. Being able to print register values is going to be super handy.

+ Added test fix: DivideByNeo to prevent some random crashes.

If this fixes what I think it fixes you will very shortly have happy Aiden noises (not that you don't have those already!) It's my understanding that this does something to alleviate Disappearing Raiders.

why do I have to work on final year projects today can't I just play and mod CE, ugh, final year project should have been 'design and build a novel map utilizing unexplored technology in Rock Raiders', not this crummy noise barrier design I've got to work on. Forget running simulations in MATLAB, just run simulations in LRR

chunkles

The link you have for 1.0.2.0 is linking to the 1.0.1.0 download.

And let me just thank you for all the work you have done around this forum in making LRR playable on modern machines.  I have really fond memories of LRR from growing up and without this forum and the guides you've posted probably wouldn't have gotten it working again to enjoy today.

I'm still having some issues getting higher resolutions to play nicely, but I'm working through some of the forum posts and have hopes that I'll get there.

Cyrem

Minor Update v1.0.2.1

Fixes a crash effecting 1.0.2 on Windows XP.

---

On 10/1/2019 at 3:54 PM, chunkles said:

The link you have for 1.0.2.0 is linking to the 1.0.1.0 download.

And let me just thank you for all the work you have done around this forum in making LRR playable on modern machines.  I have really fond memories of LRR from growing up and without this forum and the guides you've posted probably wouldn't have gotten it working again to enjoy today.

I'm still having some issues getting higher resolutions to play nicely, but I'm working through some of the forum posts and have hopes that I'll get there.

Glad you've been able to enjoy this gem again. Thanks for letting me know, I fixed the link. For resolutions, you're probably looking for the "Preview 1" branch of LRRCE which supports that.

aidenpons

I've noticed a massively increased crash rate with CE. On LRR it's usually about an 80% chance I'll make it through a level. On CE, I haven't managed to finish a single level before the game crashes. This sucks, because CE adds new stuff... which... I can't play with because it crashes so often. :( I've tried with and without the fixes, tried multiple times, and I don't think it's just luck. But I really don't know what could be causing it.

On 9/26/2019 at 7:45 PM, Cyrem said:

Added Lego*::Levels::HazardousLiquidType property to select the a liquid type.

FYI, the correct parameter is actually HazardousLiquid. I found this out while discussing with Cyrem why it wasn't working. :P

chunkles

For me the crash rate has been reduced by about 80%, so I am seeing the opposite of aidenpons.  I am running a completely vanilla install except for the music patch, dgVoodoo (v2.62.1) and CE.

One issue that I did have was that the mission 'Run the Gauntlet' would not complete with the CE version after three attempts, I reverted to the vanilla launcher and was able to finish first try.

Edit:

I am running an AMD Ryzen chip and NVIDIA graphics card.  I know AMD vs Intel has been a point of discussion on the forums before.

Edited by chunkles
added info about computer

aidenpons
12 hours ago, chunkles said:

For me the crash rate has been reduced by about 80%, so I am seeing the opposite of aidenpons.  I am running a completely vanilla install except for the music patch, dgVoodoo (v2.62.1) and CE.

That's really interesting.

My CPU is Intel and I don't have a dedicated graphics card (don't ask me how it works, I don't know, I just put the parts in and it worked :P), so maybe that has something to do with it?

12 hours ago, chunkles said:

One issue that I did have was that the mission 'Run the Gauntlet' would not complete with the CE version after three attempts, I reverted to the vanilla launcher and was able to finish first try.

Can you also try Explosive Action? That has a very similar win condition, and I'd be interested if it was breaking too.

Cyrem
On 10/17/2019 at 3:37 PM, aidenpons said:

I've noticed a massively increased crash rate with CE. On LRR it's usually about an 80% chance I'll make it through a level. On CE, I haven't managed to finish a single level before the game crashes.

Personally have not had any increase of crashes, the opposite really. I also test this on Windows XP. On-board Graphics probably isn't the best.

---

v1.0.2.2 Released

Adds a temporary fix for crashing when using over 11 icons on the build panel. Temporary because it only uses up to panel surround image 11, which will be fixed properly later. This will at-least allow play-ability with more unit types.

IMPORTANT: Exe was renamed LegoRRCE. New CE properties (except for per-level ones) now go under the root block "LegoRRCE" (this matches the EXE name). E.g in LEGO.cfg, at the end of the file you would have...

Lego* { ... }

LegoRRCE {

Main {...}

UI {...}

HazardousLiquidTypes {...}
}

This separates new CE properties from the default game ones to prevent confusion.

chunkles

v1.0.2.2 will not load into the game.

The launcher window shows up and I can select from the options but hitting launch results in no game window and nothing under task manager.

I usually only run in reduced color mode, but I did try with Windows XP compatibility mode with no luck.

Do you generate a debug log for the CE edition that I could provide?

v1.0.2.1 'Explosive Action' also fails to complete using the CE launcher.

Cyrem
2 hours ago, chunkles said:

v1.0.2.2 will not load into the game.

Theres no log as to the cause of this, but can you confirm these:

- Does it crash with No Splash Screens enabled?

- Your exe is still named LegoRRCE?

- Try launching the game with parameter -log. If you can, tell me what you see in the window just before crash.

chunkles
2 hours ago, Cyrem said:

Theres no log as to the cause of this, but can you confirm these:

- Does it crash with No Splash Screens enabled?

- Your exe is still named LegoRRCE?

- Try launching the game with parameter -log. If you can, tell me what you see in the window just before crash.

- Using 'No Intro Splash' still causes the crash

- I did not change the exe name, it is still named LegoRRCE

- With the -log parameter 

lrr-log.png

There is a very good chance that I am doing something wrong, let me know if there is any more information I can provide.

Also, I don't have the Interface folder inside of Data.  Should that folder exist?

Cyrem
46 minutes ago, chunkles said:

Also, I don't have the Interface folder inside of Data.  Should that folder exist?

Yeah it looks like your install is broken. That occures when data is missing from the Data folder.

Are you using Cafeteria? Do you have a DataSource folder? Click rebuild in Cafeteria if you do and it should fix the Data folder unless theres data missing from the DataSource.

If that fails start fresh or put both wads back into the install directory and delete the cafeteria folder. Start cafeteria again and it should popup with "setup" and it does the rest.

chunkles
14 hours ago, Cyrem said:

Yeah it looks like your install is broken. That occures when data is missing from the Data folder.

Are you using Cafeteria? Do you have a DataSource folder? Click rebuild in Cafeteria if you do and it should fix the Data folder unless theres data missing from the DataSource.

If that fails start fresh or put both wads back into the install directory and delete the cafeteria folder. Start cafeteria again and it should popup with "setup" and it does the rest.

I was not using Cafeteria. A fresh install from the CD only has two folders in the Data directory, 'AVI' and 'Sounds'.

Adding Cafeteria Beta1, I was able to rebuild and it added a significant number of folders to Data and I am able to successfully launch CE.

Thanks for your help!

Cyrem

v1.0.2.3 Released

Fixes win condition issue in previous v1.0.2 versions.

On 10/25/2019 at 4:41 AM, chunkles said:

v1.0.2.1 'Explosive Action' also fails to complete using the CE launcher.

Try the latest version now.

aidenpons
10 hours ago, Cyrem said:

v1.0.2.3 Released

Fixes win condition issue in previous v1.0.2 versions.

That was causing me a lot of headaches. Thanks for fixing that.

On 10/17/2019 at 6:37 PM, aidenpons said:

I've noticed a massively increased crash rate with CE. On LRR it's usually about an 80% chance I'll make it through a level. On CE, I haven't managed to finish a single level before the game crashes. This sucks, because CE adds new stuff... which... I can't play with because it crashes so often. :( I've tried with and without the fixes, tried multiple times, and I don't think it's just luck. But I really don't know what could be causing it.

Well, I added compatibility mode for XP SP2 and the crashes have entirely disappeared. So, uh, try that, I guess?

Still got to make use of those nice HazardousLiquidTypes you specified.... >:)

Cyrem

v1.0.3.0 Released!

Note: This is the first resolution compatible release. With this version, the main menu, level select and in-game UI are now compatible with higher resolutions selected in Cafeteria. To use this feature you MUST download the "Community Edition Core" mod for Cafeteria. This can be downloaded from within Cafeteria by going to the Online Patch Library. You do not need Cafeteria to play CE in 640x480, but you will if you want to play it in a higher resolution. This version brings the resolution patches in line with the old PREVIEW 1 edition of CE.

Change log in first post.

To prepare your game to play at a higher resolution please follow the following steps:

1. Download CE 1.0.3.0 and update your existing copy of CE.
  2. Download Cafeteria 1.0 BETA 6 and replace your old version of Cafeteria (WARNING: Do not replace anything older than Cafeteria 1.0 BETA 3, instead just install a new copy of LRR, it'll save you heaps of trouble.)
  3. Start Cafeteria and do any required setup.
  4. Click the "settings" tab and choose a LRR Resolution you want.
  5. Get Community Edition Core: Follow this: http://prntscr.com/pzwcsn
  6. Start the game and play.

Only the Main Menu, Level Select and Game UI is resolution adapted. Please do not report that  the Load Save Game/Tutorial Missions & Reward screen look broken.

Cyrem

v1.0.3.1 Released!

• Fixed an exception on start when debug output is enabled.
  • Fixed cursor icon changing when mission brief switches.
  • Fixed limited bug where waking a monster caused a crash.
  • Improved level scrolling to mimic the original style.
  • Added "-datadir <dir>" exe parameter to change the relative Data folder path.
  • Added Hotkey "T" for teleport Rock Raider. (Not compatible with debug keys)
  • Removed some startup disc drive checks causing message boxes.
  • Removed a registry check for HAL Message.
  • Clean Up

This is a normal update to the previous version, just overwrite the files.

Cyrem

Just an update on the progress of the next version (1.1.0). Development has been going well and I'm pleased to announce that v1.1 will support the running of LRR in 32bit colour space, no longer requiring the game to be set to 16bit colour mode (in compatibility settings).

In addition to this....

• 32 Bit colour mode by default (16 to remain an option for now).
  • 24Bit BMP Support for GUI and menu's.
  • Light dithering will now be much smoother as a result of the bit change.
  • Increased performance in some areas due to the bit change.
  • LRR window now works on secondary displays without needing a graphics wrapper.
  • DirectInput 5 API upgraded to DirectInput 8

Cyrem

Back for my monthly update. I've continued working on the underlying engine upgrades and have more to add/update about v1.1.0.

- 32 Bit only.... 16bit support removed, it would be a pain to keep backward compatibility whilst trying to use new tech.

- Alpha channel support for PNGs now added. 

- Vast performance increases in relation to UI drawing.

- Much DirectDraw drawing has been upgraded to Direct2D, utilising hardware acceleration. (This should resolve bugs related to DD, such as corrupted ui, bleached ui, ui surface loss from Windows Smart Screen)

- Minimum OS support currently sits at Windows 7, as Direct2D is now being used.

- You can set the alpha for the crystal model. (CFG)

Probably more to come... or a release.

aidenpons

Sounds coooooool!

5 hours ago, Cyrem said:

32 Bit only.... 16bit support removed, it would be a pain to keep backward compatibility whilst trying to use new tech.

Does this mean all textures / menu bitmaps / everything has to be recolored to 32-bit? How easy (or not-easy) is this to do?

Cyrem
1 hour ago, aidenpons said:

Does this mean all textures / menu bitmaps / everything has to be recolored to 32-bit? How easy (or not-easy) is this to do?

Nope, it will load all existing bitmaps just fine.

JimbobJeffers

Daaayuuum they sound like amazing features, I'll definitely give it a go on 1.1's release! Really looking forward to it :)

shaggy08251993

I don't wanna jinx myself, but I think you just saved my gave with the widespread issue of video freezing with dgvoodoo. I hadn't previously heard of DDrawCompat, but gave it a shot after seeing you mention it. Played through a whole level without it freezing once. I'm actively tracking the Manic Miners project, but hopefully this will be my saving grace until then. Thanks!

Only issue now seems to be minor lagging during the mission briefings, building placement, and after getting several buildings and raiders.