How Does Rock Raiders Use Map Tile Heights [SOLVED]

elrunethe2nd

Can someone explain to me how Rock Raiders determines what a tile's height is, and in particular, how it does this on a per-vertex basis?

My initial guess was that the values associated with tiles in high_12.map constitute an average tile height, such that the height of a map tile's vertex will be the average of the tile heights of the tiles adjacent to it. Like so (black numbers are fake tile heights):

86jara0.jpg

In level 12 of Rock Raiders (Water Works, off to the left of the starting area), this would produce the following:

3ytzElY.png

Whereas the game actually looks like so:

zNKmAXe.png

Your thoughts appreciated.

Edited by elrunethe2nd
Problem Solved

The height value corresponds to the top left corner. One of the more useful results from this is that if you want a flat tile, that tile, the one below it, the one to the right, and the one below and to the right must all be at that same value you want it to be flat at; have an ASCII schematic

I want the tile labelled E to be flat at 9, and everything else slope accordingly to 0.

A B C			0 0 0
D E F			0 9 9
G H I			0 9 9

More info here.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, aidenpons said:

The height value corresponds to the top left corner. One of the more useful results from this is that if you want a flat tile, that tile, the one below it, the one to the right, and the one below and to the right must all be at that same value you want it to be flat at; have an ASCII schematic

I want the tile labelled E to be flat at 9, and everything else slope accordingly to 0.

A B C			0 0 0
D E F			0 9 9
G H I			0 9 9

More info here.

Yeah, that fixed it right up. Guess I was overthinking it. Thanks for that.

0DPG5ML.png

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.