Manic Miners V0.3: An in-progress complete Lego Rock Raiders remake (The Miners and machines update is here!)

baraklava

The_Wanderer_HTL
6 hours ago, baraklava said:

Officially speaking I want to keep it relevant to the 1999 era with a few exceptions (some extra female faces + the Power Miners) and I absolutely won't touch any licensed themes for obvious reasons. Working with newer themes can meddle with Lego's intention to make money, I think. Custom textures an accessories should be doable through modding later on though. In fact, custom textures would be really easy to implement but I just haven't gotten around to it

That makes sense. I am not attached to "Tony Stark", it was simply the only head that matched my hair style/color IRL. My avatar is from a game where I made my character look as close to how I look IRL as I possibly could. Any face, even an "original" face, would be greatly appreciated (but by no means required or demanded). More hair pieces in general would not go amiss.

OH! Do you plan on making a red construction helmet? I made 20 "Rock Raiders" with real LEGO pieces, but I took the liberty of giving them red construction helmets (the only color I could find in bulk) as I felt it was more realistic than bare heads. I would love to make my team look like that in-game.

I am so excited to see this project "finished"; it is the update/remaster that we all wanted but never thought we would get.

P.S. I got my first Chrome Crusher today and the drill/scanner are on the wrong sides. To be fair, the original instruction booklet got this wrong, too.

The_Wanderer_HTL

Update:
I am really enjoying Manic Miners, even more than normal LEGO Rock Raiders. It looks better, plays better (in most ways) and I cannot stress enough how much I love the team management and customization options.

There is one bug I have found, though. Quite often (but not every time) after reinforcing a wall, the miner gets stuck on/in that wall and cannot move or do anything until that wall is mined. So, for hard rock that means no using explosives and waiting for a digging vehicle before I can use those miners again. Also, I know this is a known issue, but all of the vehicles are so slow. Even the small ones, like the Tunnel Scout, Small Transport Truck, and Rapid Rider. Miners walk faster, which means I have stopped using Small Transport Trucks almost entirely. The game also runs sluggishly when vehicles are present; again, another known issue. Changing my graphical settings does not help.

Still, I love the game and I cannot wait until Manic Miners is fully built and complete.

Oh! I forgot (until I started the next level) that I did find another bug. Many times one or more of the construction barricades vanish upon being put down. They still count as placed and the building still completes, but the barricade(s) are invisible.

Another Update: My brother has a more powerful PC he built for gaming (mine is only slightly better than average) and the game runs so smoothly on his PC; I am jealous. He found the FPS counter and his game runs at about 60 FPS, on my PC it runs at about 10. The sluggish issue is clearly my hardware and not the game. He did not even change the default graphics settings; mine are all near the bottom!

Edited by The_Wanderer_HTL
Additional information

On 9/4/2020 at 12:54 AM, The_Wanderer_HTL said:

Update:
I am really enjoying Manic Miners, even more than normal LEGO Rock Raiders. It looks better, plays better (in most ways) and I cannot stress enough how much I love the team management and customization options.

There is one bug I have found, though. Quite often (but not every time) after reinforcing a wall, the miner gets stuck on/in that wall and cannot move or do anything until that wall is mined. So, for hard rock that means no using explosives and waiting for a digging vehicle before I can use those miners again. Also, I know this is a known issue, but all of the vehicles are so slow. Even the small ones, like the Tunnel Scout, Small Transport Truck, and Rapid Rider. Miners walk faster, which means I have stopped using Small Transport Trucks almost entirely. The game also runs sluggishly when vehicles are present; again, another known issue. Changing my graphical settings does not help.

Still, I love the game and I cannot wait until Manic Miners is fully built and complete.

Oh! I forgot (until I started the next level) that I did find another bug. Many times one or more of the construction barricades vanish upon being put down. They still count as placed and the building still completes, but the barricade(s) are invisible.

Another Update: My brother has a more powerful PC he built for gaming (mine is only slightly better than average) and the game runs so smoothly on his PC; I am jealous. He found the FPS counter and his game runs at about 60 FPS, on my PC it runs at about 10. The sluggish issue is clearly my hardware and not the game. He did not even change the default graphics settings; mine are all near the bottom!

I think these issues (miners walking up walls, weird barrier physics) are because of playing at higher game speeds. The game allows up to 3x speed but the way everything works then is really weird. This won't be as much of a problem when monsters are in the game as you would be decimated then if you play at speed 3x, but it is worth investigating in the future either way. I'm not sure it can be greatly optimized on the CPU side though, especially when the physics engine is what's causing the issue. In many cases, if your computer can't simulate all the physics properly at 3x speed, some actors will run faster than others, which is *really weird*, but that's just the way it works. 

For FPS, try turning off the post-processing, or use the Potato shortcut setting. More detailed graphics options will come, but for now potato settings should work for low-end hardware. I've successfully run this on a 5-years old non-gaming laptop on lowest settings but without vehicles (which are now more graphically and computationally demanding) enough to play the original campaign at least, but in general I rely on user reports for performance on low-end hardware. If you could note what hardware you have and what versions you've tested I'd know better what benchmark you've got here. 10 FPS sounds dreadful even for older hardware...

• 2 months later...
JediMasterKarumaas

Oh my god.

OH MY GOD. YOU JUST REMADE MY CHILDHOOD. I played the original game back in like 2005 so it was still a bit old then, but still. IT WAS MY CHILDHOOD AND YOU WENT AND REMADE IT.

I love it!

Now... if only I could play it! Heck, old Rock Raiders is too old for my computer and this is too new! I can't win! I can only run DX11 :-(

It looks amazing though, and hopefully I'll figure out how to run it - or somehow find enough money to buy a new computer so I CAN run it ;-)

7 minutes ago, JediMasterKarumaas said:

Now... if only I could play it! Heck, old Rock Raiders is too old for my computer and this is too new! I can't win! I can only run DX11 ?

In the download there should be an Alternate Versions folder. In there should be a DX11 shortcut, as well as a bit of other stuff you might want to read if that doesn't work.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
JediMasterKarumaas
On 11/5/2020 at 10:03 PM, aidenpons said:

In the download there should be an Alternate Versions folder. In there should be a DX11 shortcut, as well as a bit of other stuff you might want to read if that doesn't work.

OMG THANK YOU! I'm so dumb omg

1 hour ago, JediMasterKarumaas said:

Never mind, I can't find any "alternate versions" folder and I don't know how to force it to run with DX11...

I think the AlternateVersions folder accidentally got eaten up in the latest build - it's been there all other builds. The good news is that it's not very hard to re-create what it does:

In your ManicMiners folder, next to the .exe , right-click an empty space and select New -> Shortcut . In the box that comes up, paste in

%COMSPEC% /C start ManicMiners.exe -dx11

Hit Next, call it whatever you want and hit Finish - there should be a new shortcut sitting next to ManicMiners.exe

Right-click on your new shortcut, select Properties, and delete everything in the Start In box. You should end up with something like this:

Spoiler

large.shortcut.png.fafdbb4128055d1a1381b0516a66f5d3.png

(ignore that the folder has AlternateVersions.zip and AlternateVersions folder, as well as being not the most recent build - the idea's still the same regardless of what build you're on)

Hit OK, then double-click on your new shiny fancy shortcut to run it in DX11 (... I think).

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick status update: I have been very busy with personal stuff since V0.3 released, which I talked about in my dev update here last month, but monsters are now well underway! Here's a sneak peek of  a feature that aims to expand the functionality of monsters: Hearing! Exactly how this works will be detailed later, but it will only be related to how the monsters wake up, they will not forget where you are or anything like that. Also, it's worth pointing out there is no hardcoded triggers in the sequence above, the monster reacts to the drill sound and then goes for the crystal. The Rock Monster's model is now basically final, with the Ice Monster nearing completion. The current focus is on making proper animations coupled with the basic AI behaviour, and I won't make any promises on how long any of this will take, but you can be certain I'm working on it to the best of my ability.

• 2 months later...
berylliumquestion

This is a really cool project! I hope you'll make it open source eventually. I'd like to contribute, but 1 I'm a hobbyist and 2 I don't want to presume that I'm even wanted, as it is your project. Anyways, this looks awesome! Keep up the good work!

• 5 weeks later...

So I guess I'm not the only one who has spotted pizza both at the start menu (being cooked near the lava) and in-game (popping up at random chance). 

Really loving the minor details that went towards game play, from the ability to chuck around different materials, to grabbing dynamite from the Tool Store and either blasting any walls at your own volition or just fooling around with it. Since I recently unlocked Axle, I found some rare interaction between him and Bandit whenever Bandit goes into the Chrome Crusher. Not too sure if this is one of the few/many easter eggs in the game. 

Bandit: "Don't tell Axle."

Axle: "Tell me what?"

Bandit: "RRRRGGHHH!"

Stuff like this makes me feel giddy, like I'm my old adolescent self again. 

• 2 weeks later...

This is still going? Amazing! :)
I still need to look at all the recent and newer changes as it's been a while since I've followed the project.
So glad to see development continuing.

On 4/22/2021 at 4:20 PM, MrKalius said:

This is still going? Amazing! :)
I still need to look at all the recent and newer changes as it's been a while since I've followed the project.
So glad to see development continuing.

It is! Check out his subreddit

• 1 month later...

Just blowing some dust out of this thread: We're still going, but a bit slow! Last week I posted a status update detailing the current state of the project, if you're interested then read it here.

In short: Slow steady pace, but I also have gotten in contact with Lego officially so some nice things might be coming my way soon! :)  Stay tuned!

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Lara said:

Thanks 😍🤩

Same 🎈

Hey there, I'm still working hard on it! As I have a full-time job now compared to before it takes more time, but there is still plenty of progress being made that is just not posted in this thread as I don't hang around RRU often anymore. In fact, as you posted this I was about to start a development stream, which you can check out on my Twitch channel here: https://www.twitch.tv/baraklava

I announce streams and development progress on my Discord server so drop by there if you have a Discord account! And always feel free to drop a comment in here and I might drop by and let you know the status. Current status is that experimental builds will start being released very soon, so if you like testing out half-baked builds, stay tuned! (I will announce that here if I don't forget). I'm not sure I'd get the full V1.0 update out before year's end though...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.