Manic Miners V0.3: An in-progress complete Lego Rock Raiders remake (The Miners and machines update is here!)

baraklava

On 5/20/2020 at 4:49 PM, shaggy08251993 said:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed and my hopes up because it isn't hard to tell how dedicated you are to this project. My only concern is that usually, "Development is slow right now..." are the infamous last words of projects that die :/ We understand though that schooling takes priority.

I'm aware, but development hasn't stopped. I'm still working on it almost daily, it's just a step down from what it used to be (which was a very high pace). Same thing happened over Christmas, really, but right now I need to focus on the Thesis for maybe three more weeks because there's more on the line. I should also note there has been a lot of progress I haven't shown off yet because I want it to be ready first.

• Like 2

Yesterday I had an anniversary stream to show the project is still going strong! A lot of first-person functionality was implemented, including drilling, clearing rubble, reinforcing walls, collecting and throwing resources, constructing buildings and eating sandwiches! Watch a quick demo here or watch the entire stream on my Twitch channel!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Dude, you're re-making one of the most beloved games of my childhood, you're awesome. ?

Do you accept donations to support your project or something, I wanna support this awesomeness.

On 6/12/2020 at 3:38 AM, Lefse said:

Dude, you're re-making one of the most beloved games of my childhood, you're awesome. ?

Do you accept donations to support your project or something, I wanna support this awesomeness.

Sorry but I accept no monetary donations under any circumstances, this is a passion project! There are probably other devs out there that needs your money more than I

• Guest unfeatured, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
shaggy08251993

Just saw this, so I signed in to give more encouragement since nobody has really commented on it in a month. Keep up the awesome work! Did the thesis go well?

On 7/11/2020 at 5:51 AM, shaggy08251993 said:

Just saw this, so I signed in to give more encouragement since nobody has really commented on it in a month. Keep up the awesome work! Did the thesis go well?

The thesis went well! I am currently not posting a lot of dev updates because I'm focusing hard on getting stuff done. First-person mode should be ready for public testing soon, so you're gonna have to wait a little while longer... ;)  After that, the update is basically done and would just need some polish

• 4 weeks later...
shaggy08251993

@baraklava, Just read the post. Awesome job! Looking forward to when this gets pushed out. Someone mentioned that you're crushing this at a blistering pace, and they're right! I mean I'm pretty sure it's been less than a year since I discovered this, and it sounds like you're probably about 75% done. That's a huge achievement! Especially since many projects like this get abandoned. AND you're doing this by yourself. As usual, keep up the awesome work :}

• 2 weeks later...
The_Wanderer_HTL

Just wanted to post here that I am aware of the project and looking forward to when it is fully realized. I loved this game as a kid and love it just as much now. Rediscovering it encouraged me to use Bricklink and eBay to complete my LEGO RR collection and so I look forward to a "modern remake" of this classic game. Keep up the good work, I am eager to see the completed project!

On 8/8/2020 at 12:34 AM, shaggy08251993 said:

@baraklava, Just read the post. Awesome job! Looking forward to when this gets pushed out. Someone mentioned that you're crushing this at a blistering pace, and they're right! I mean I'm pretty sure it's been less than a year since I discovered this, and it sounds like you're probably about 75% done. That's a huge achievement! Especially since many projects like this get abandoned. AND you're doing this by yourself. As usual, keep up the awesome work :}

I've been working a lot behind the scenes but the major update should be out within a week now... Got quite a few secrets ;) 

On 8/21/2020 at 8:02 PM, The_Wanderer_HTL said:

Just wanted to post here that I am aware of the project and looking forward to when it is fully realized. I loved this game as a kid and love it just as much now. Rediscovering it encouraged me to use Bricklink and eBay to complete my LEGO RR collection and so I look forward to a "modern remake" of this classic game. Keep up the good work, I am eager to see the completed project!

Glad you're joining us, owning the sets IRL is magnificent!

It's been a long while, but today I'm delighted to announce the largest update so far for Manic Miners! The vehicles are here, together with an extensive miner customization system and many surprises and improvements. The only thing missing are the monsters... so stay tuned!

shaggy08251993

@baraklava This is great! I'm playing the newest version right now. I've been following the progress but haven't actually played any released versions for probably 8 months or so. Everything looks fantastic and super polished. Can't wait for the monsters! I do have a possible bug report and a question. I'm doing Driller Night right now, and the voice-over for hovering on buttons seemed kinda quiet compared to the music. So I went to the audio settings to increase the "sound effects" which I guess defaults at .667. After hitting save though, the settings keep reverting to .667. Changing settings on the other screens worked (at least while I was on the main menu they did). I'm also wondering if you plan to add mouse sensitive options? The controls are super snappy, which is good! but I was hoping to have it a bit slower like in the classic version. As always, keep up the awesome work, we appreciate you!

Edit: Whoops! Found the camera speed settings after messing with the in-game UI, haha. My bad! Still wondering about the sound issue though, if it's a bug or if I'm just a dummy.

Edit 2: Sparks just ate a pizza instead of a sandwich! COOL! Is it random, or are there conditions to cause that?

Edit 3: Looking at the Manage Crew screen and found a typo. When hovering over the bar at the top-right, the tooltip has "slow" that I assume is supposed to be "slot".

Edit 4: I noticed that when raiders are idle, they always go back to the Tool Store. I tried moving several of them away from the Tool Store just to space them out, but they always run back. Is this intended so that you don't 'lose' them?

Edit 5: Spiders are set to Squish rather than Slip, but is still causing a Slip when playing as a raider in 1st person view. (Update: Actually, it looks like Squish mode just doesn't work. Even in sky-view raiders still slip on them)

Edit 6: In 1st person view, right-clicking to switch to world-clicking while retaining 1st person view works, but right clicking again to toggle between modes isn't working. For smooth camera movement, I end up having to hold RMB to control camera angle. Only way to fix currently is by exiting and re-entering 1st person view. When attempting to toggle back to smooth movement from world clicking mode, the cursor will reset to where the center reticle is, but just stays in world-click mode. I hope this makes sense lol

19 minutes ago, shaggy08251993 said:

@baraklava This is great! I'm playing the newest version right now. I've been following the progress but haven't actually played any released versions for probably 8 months or so. Everything looks fantastic and super polished. Can't wait for the monsters! I do have a possible bug report and a question. I'm doing Driller Night right now, and the voice-over for hovering on buttons seemed kinda quiet compared to the music. So I went to the audio settings to increase the "sound effects" which I guess defaults at .667. After hitting save though, the settings keep reverting to .667. Changing settings on the other screens worked (at least while I was on the main menu they did). I'm also wondering if you plan to add mouse sensitive options? The controls are super snappy, which is good! but I was hoping to have it a bit slower like in the classic version. As always, keep up the awesome work, we appreciate you!

Edit: Whoops! Found the camera speed settings after messing with the in-game UI, haha. My bad! Still wondering about the sound issue though, if it's a bug or if I'm just a dummy.

Edit 2: Sparks just ate a pizza instead of a sandwich! COOL! Is it random, or are there conditions to cause that?

Settings are in need of an overhaul, and I agree some sounds are too low. It's hard to hear the total balance of everything when the game changes weekly!

Eating a pizza is random, just a fun little visual Easter Egg, but might become something more in the future :)

shaggy08251993

Cool, thanks for the info! I've made a few edits to my post but only just now refreshed the page to see your reply. I'll keep adding possible bugs as I come across them if it helps. Perhaps you're already aware of them though.

I'm so glad someone is actually doing this finally. - I tried a couple of years ago but chickened out because my perceived likelihood of a cease & desist from Lego was high - good luck to you in this regard :)

19 hours ago, shaggy08251993 said:

Cool, thanks for the info! I've made a few edits to my post but only just now refreshed the page to see your reply. I'll keep adding possible bugs as I come across them if it helps. Perhaps you're already aware of them though.

I wasn't aware of the spider squish option not working, so I'll look into that when I have time! Across the board, it seems to be no game-breaking bugs so I'll be taking my time with a patch while resting up and planning the next roadmap.

28 minutes ago, Rogod said:

I'm so glad someone is actually doing this finally. - I tried a couple of years ago but chickened out because my perceived likelihood of a cease & desist from Lego was high - good luck to you in this regard :)

Oh hey, I recognize that! I wasn't here back then but it got a lot of attention in such a short amount of time, even more than Manic Miners has, but I think RRU was more active back then. Nice to see you're back! I wagered Lego would not care, and so far it has proven to be right. They even recently officially endorsed another fan game: Quest for Mata Nui, so I'm hoping they won't do anything with this game for the last months I need to implement monsters. Join us on the Discord if you like :D 

shaggy08251993

Totally understandable, and definitely not game-breaking. Just wanted to make you aware in case you weren't already :} I love everything that I saw. Didn't go past the first two missions, but that's just because I want to wait till monsters are out before I give it a real spin :}

9 minutes ago, shaggy08251993 said:

Totally understandable, and definitely not game-breaking. Just wanted to make you aware in case you weren't already :} I love everything that I saw. Didn't go past the first two missions, but that's just because I want to wait till monsters are out before I give it a real spin :}

Understandable, they'll take a while to implement but are 100% the next priority. I'll probably do like the vehicles update: Implement enough about the monsters to make them usable publicly, then release experimental builds with that while working on other things in the background. A more detailed roadmap will come some time this week and I'll post it here too!

The_Wanderer_HTL

I second the observation that spider squish is not working. I also had some questions about character customization:

1. If I have multiple "teams", how do I know which one the game is pulling from? I have 20 named and trained Rock Raiders; five named after myself and best friends, and fifteen named after rock puns (Rocky, Onyx, Ruby, Jade, etc). I have them split up that way, as well as a group with all twenty in the same group. How do I know which of the three lists the game is pulling from?

2. If the Rock Raiders get teleported out due to damage, does it "delete" them like in the classic game? I was trying "Rubble Trouble" and the rock slides took out the Rock Raider named for my Fiance. Which is a perfect time to mention a "bug(?)", the rock slides are way too fast. I nearly lost a few men in "The Path to Power" and I did lose two in "Rubble Trouble." Often times two rockslides would hit while a dude was hammering on the wall. Perhaps slow down the slides a little bit.

Other than that, I love this project. I absolutely love the level of character customization; that and the ability to keep playing after meeting the mission requirements are my favorite quality of life improvements. The graphics are great, but even after I lowered them the game runs sluggishly on my computer, where the 2.7 build did not. Je ne sais pas. Keep up the good work, mate!

14 minutes ago, The_Wanderer_HTL said:

I second the observation that spider squish is not working. I also had some questions about character customization:

1. If I have multiple "teams", how do I know which one the game is pulling from? I have 20 named and trained Rock Raiders; five named after myself and best friends, and fifteen named after rock puns (Rocky, Onyx, Ruby, Jade, etc). I have them split up that way, as well as a group with all twenty in the same group. How do I know which of the three lists the game is pulling from?

2. If the Rock Raiders get teleported out due to damage, does it "delete" them like in the classic game? I was trying "Rubble Trouble" and the rock slides took out the Rock Raider named for my Fiance. Which is a perfect time to mention a "bug(?)", the rock slides are way too fast. I nearly lost a few men in "The Path to Power" and I did lose two in "Rubble Trouble." Often times two rockslides would hit while a dude was hammering on the wall. Perhaps slow down the slides a little bit.

Other than that, I love this project. I absolutely love the level of character customization; that and the ability to keep playing after meeting the mission requirements are my favorite quality of life improvements. The graphics are great, but even after I lowered them the game runs sluggishly on my computer, where the 2.7 build did not. Je ne sais pas. Keep up the good work, mate!

1. The crew teleported down is the one you selected in the dropdown list. There is an info button in the LMS that should describe it in more details.

2. Teleporting out a Rock Raider makes them sit out for that mission, they are only teleported down once.

In terms of performance, I haven't made a full performance analysis but I'm aware the vehicles can hog performance quite a bit more than miners, and the detailed models might put a strain on the GPU too. In terms of CPU things should run quicker overall though, but it definitely follows that more demanding features require more resources. Do you think it's the graphics or not? The "Post-processing" setting can be a real game changer on weaker PCs, and I am going to overhaul the graphics settings in the future

Glad you like it either way!

The_Wanderer_HTL
31 minutes ago, baraklava said:

1. The crew teleported down is the one you selected in the dropdown list. There is an info button in the LMS that should describe it in more details.

2. Teleporting out a Rock Raider makes them sit out for that mission, they are only teleported down once.

In terms of performance, I haven't made a full performance analysis but I'm aware the vehicles can hog performance quite a bit more than miners, and the detailed models might put a strain on the GPU too. In terms of CPU things should run quicker overall though, but it definitely follows that more demanding features require more resources. Do you think it's the graphics or not? The "Post-processing" setting can be a real game changer on weaker PCs, and I am going to overhaul the graphics settings in the future

Glad you like it either way!

Thanks, that makes sense. It sucks that I spent all that time training 20 Rock Raiders and coming up with rock-pun names and I can only use 6 at a time (for now). C'est la vie.

Honestly, I am not sure what is making it run slowly. I will keep investigating. I am not far enough yet for vehicles, so that cannot be the issue.

I forgot to ask; any chance on adding LEGO minifigure parts from post-1999? I have a LEGO "me" that I use for MOCs and I would love to make him in Manic Miners. Unfortunately, he uses the black ponytail that (LEGO Ninjago) Klaus, (Star Wars) Bodi Rhuk, and others use. He also uses the Tony Stark face print (with a neutral face, not the ones with facial expressions). Not a huge deal, just curious. I noticed you can make the face/hands "flesh colored", so not everything is from pre-1999...

38 minutes ago, The_Wanderer_HTL said:

Thanks, that makes sense. It sucks that I spent all that time training 20 Rock Raiders and coming up with rock-pun names and I can only use 6 at a time (for now). C'est la vie.

Honestly, I am not sure what is making it run slowly. I will keep investigating. I am not far enough yet for vehicles, so that cannot be the issue.

I forgot to ask; any chance on adding LEGO minifigure parts from post-1999? I have a LEGO "me" that I use for MOCs and I would love to make him in Manic Miners. Unfortunately, he uses the black ponytail that (LEGO Ninjago) Klaus, (Star Wars) Bodi Rhuk, and others use. He also uses the Tony Stark face print (with a neutral face, not the ones with facial expressions). Not a huge deal, just curious. I noticed you can make the face/hands "flesh colored", so not everything is from pre-1999...

Officially speaking I want to keep it relevant to the 1999 era with a few exceptions (some extra female faces + the Power Miners) and I absolutely won't touch any licensed themes for obvious reasons. Working with newer themes can meddle with Lego's intention to make money, I think. Custom textures an accessories should be doable through modding later on though. In fact, custom textures would be really easy to implement but I just haven't gotten around to it

They even recently officially endorsed another fan game: Quest for Mata Nui, so I'm hoping they won't do anything with this game

Oh that is actually really good news :D!

Still, you've done a far better job than I could have with RockRaiders, so I look forward to the completion of this project. - What I saw briefly earlier looked very promising ;D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.