Manic Miners V0.3: An in-progress complete Lego Rock Raiders remake (The Miners and machines update is here!)

baraklava

On 12/28/2019 at 3:52 AM, shaggy08251993 said:

@baraklava, I'm not a super active member of this community, but have followed it on/off for like 7 years now. I logged in just so that I could say that you're doing God's work, and this is incredible. I'm rooting for you and this project till the end. Keep up the awesome progress! I'm really looking forward to this. It also sounds like you're building this from the ground up from scratch...not sure if there'd be legality issues, but if not, I'd totally pay for this game.

Edit: In addition, this was one of my favorite childhood games and holds a special place in my heart. I'd be fine playing the old version if I didn't have that damned bug that causes the video freezing. This was also the first game that I ever learned how to mod thanks to the awesome community here.

Thanks bud, I'm aware some would pay for this but I would rather make a proper independent sequel that people can buy instead, and keep this a Rock Raiders tribute, so stay tuned after I'm finished with this :)  if you are having troubles running LRR there are several troubleshooting guides to help, and also the LRR Community Edition project where they've decompiled the original exe file and are trying to fix the crashes, which will hopefully get better down the road

@baraklava first thing first : MAN YOUR WORK IS AWESOME OMGGGGG
It's what we have all been looking for for years *-*
I see you have put a map editor, so do you plan to release a level editor with possibility of implementing a plot and this kind of stuff, maybe offering the possibility to create new campaigns (just wanted to know if you have that in mind, i don't want to pressure you to know when it's supposed to be released or whatever :3 )

Then do you plan to release modding tools, so we can propose and implement new mods aswel (maybe helping u for the ones who have the will and skills for this)

And last question, do you plan to do this kind of awesome work for other Lego Classic games, like Lego Racers, or else, or move on to totally differents things after you are satisfied with your great work here ?

Hope I am not bothering u with my questions ;)

9 hours ago, TheOtterWay said:

I'm not Baraklava, but I can think I can answer these :P

I see you have put a map editor, so do you plan to release a level editor with possibility of implementing a plot and this kind of stuff, maybe offering the possibility to create new campaigns (just wanted to know if you have that in mind, i don't want to pressure you to know when it's supposed to be released or whatever :3 )

I'm fairly sure this will be a thing, yes. The level editor is fully functional and allows you to make any of the MM levels (and is what was used to make the levels! ... well, mostly), so there aren't any features the level use that you don't have access to.

It's not in yet, but I'm sure you'll be able to create your own campaigns.

Then do you plan to release modding tools, so we can propose and implement new mods aswel (maybe helping u for the ones who have the will and skills for this)

Modding is definitely on the cards - already you can make your own level mods. But as for vehicles and buildings, Baraklava is continually muttering about modding - the next question is then what's the best way for people to able to implement it. He'd been making leaps and bounds whenever I hear from him, but there's nothing concrete.

And last question, do you plan to do this kind of awesome work for other Lego Classic games, like Lego Racers, or else, or move on to totally differents things after you are satisfied with your great work here ?

I think Baraklava was also interested in making a Lego Racers game, but that's much later down the track...

10 hours ago, TheOtterWay said:

Hope I am not bothering u with my questions ;)

Hi man, I'd say basically the answer to all of these questions are "Yes":

- Campaigns: I am planning a "Campaign editor" where you put several level files and other assets into a folder and it's read dynamically. Custom sound/voice clips and between-levels-dialogue are good examples of what I want here, which highlights the complexity as it all has to be read from a single level file dynamically = lots of places to go wrong. This will take quite some time to get right and I'm planning on demonstrating it in the V1.0 release by doing a new story. All the things I want to do here have not been explored though, so I can't say for sure how the end result will look.

- Modding: The way the game is programmed opens up for modding, and I currently have a plan to set this up for the next major release in perhaps a few months. The only things I'm not sure how to handle properly are restrictions: On a level where, say, the Support Station is disabled in the level file, should you be allowed to build modded buildings that can give air instead? Currently leaning towards a "Disable modded content" setting in the level file. Modding will all take place in Unreal Engine's blueprint editor, which is very intuitive, and I'll push out modding tutorials of a complete pipeline on the YouTube channel when it's ready. This allows custom vehicles and buildings, but a goal further ahead could be custom game modes etc. Spawning modded content from a level file will be possible, and I've already made sure this works.

- Further projects: I'm a Lego Racers fan and will consider working on a game in that series next. That project will likely not be a solo project however. 

1 minute ago, aidenpons said:

I'm not Baraklava, but I can think I can answer these :P

Bad timing, aiden ;) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

While I'm still hard at work implementing tasks for the Vehicles, which should honestly be pretty quick since I'm basically just copy-pasting the code from the Miner, I wanted to share one of those details that you can't get in LRR whatsoever: Physically simulating the Ore/crystals in a Vehicle Tray!

• Like 1
  • Cool Bro 2

Cyberbrickmaster86

I'm so glad I found this after having so much trouble getting the original to work again! It already has the potential to be even better than the vanilla game! If you had some talented voice actors, they could be useful for the new campaign in addition to redubbing the classic levels and tutorial missions. I wouldn't mind since the original voice acting isn't so good, especially the captain!

baraklava. You are the man. I can hardly express how much I love Manic Miners so far. It's all so pretty to look at, love the addition of the PS game OST, and I'm honestly pretty impressed with the workarounds you have for certain things,  for example, how dynamite is implemented right now. Playing in full resolution is amazing too, I can only get my original LRR to run in a little 640x480 square on my monitor (scaling would be nice but I'm just content I got it to work lmao).

But yeah. every once in a while, I'd remember LRR exists, and I'd give it a go. This last time around a couple weeks ago, I finally beat it for the first time and that left me so empty. Then I found Rock Raiders United and felt refreshed all over again, reading the posts of like-minded people. And then.

Then. I found Manic Miners, and I've been obsessed ever since. I love how you can keep building and exploring after the main objective is done, I love the new menus, and I'm even a fan of your new UI (although I do admit to liking the original just a little more). It's all just so f****ing lovely and I am hoping with all my heart you complete this project!!!

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Akorax said:

Dude, looks amazing. Keep up the work please, this is the most promising remake project to date! If you need help with anything just ask.

Hello, it depends on what you want to help with! I'm in need of voice actors and potentially CG animators if one were to remake or expand the cutscenes system that the original game had, otherwise with programming and modeling and such, I will handle that myself :) Also nice to see a fellow Swede here, is there a secret group of Swedish LRR fans somewhere that I can join?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2020 at 7:19 PM, baraklava said:

Hello, it depends on what you want to help with! I'm in need of voice actors and potentially CG animators if one were to remake or expand the cutscenes system that the original game had, otherwise with programming and modeling and such, I will handle that myself :) Also nice to see a fellow Swede here, is there a secret group of Swedish LRR fans somewhere that I can join?

Now we are two at least. I could try with voice acting, never done it before though. I'm sure there are some people on these forums that have a bit of CG skill. Personally I haven't practiced that much in the last 15 years so I probably wouldn't be much help there. (sry for the late reply, I don't check in here that often)

Cyberbrickmaster86

I really like what you've done with this remake so far. Not only is it much more accessible on modern computers, but it also fixes the annoyances that held the game back, making it better than the original. I hope you'll be able to give the characters helmets when updating the character animations, as that never made sense in the original game for them to not wear helmets in space.

14 hours ago, Cyberbrickmaster86 said:

I really like what you've done with this remake so far. Not only is it much more accessible on modern computers, but it also fixes the annoyances that held the game back, making it better than the original. I hope you'll be able to give the characters helmets when updating the character animations, as that never made sense in the original game for them to not wear helmets in space.

Hello, the current plan is that you can alter what your basic miners look like in addition to customizing individual miners, not just naming them. That system will start getting worked on soon!

• 3 weeks later...

I found this place by trying to find how to play the old game again. You sir are a saint. I showed my buddy and we both played your game for several hours with childhood memories just flooding in. I cant thank you enough for doing this. Its updated in the right ways but still holds true to the old games bones. Amazing work!

On 3/19/2020 at 3:07 PM, MrGouvion said:

I found this place by trying to find how to play the old game again. You sir are a saint. I showed my buddy and we both played your game for several hours with childhood memories just flooding in. I cant thank you enough for doing this. Its updated in the right ways but still holds true to the old games bones. Amazing work!

There is more to come :) The vehicles are pretty stable on the Discord now, but as the link gets obsolete quickly I don't want to post it here

The Geologist training has been implemented! This makes Manic Miners the first remake to date to have the scanner system, yay!

As a status update: Vehicles are very stable right now, and work on Miner customization as well as Level scripting has started. The fully polished major update is slated for release some time in April.

You can always reach the latest builds on the Discord channel!

• 3 weeks later...
shaggy08251993

Been about 4 months since I posted, but just wanted to say again to keep up the good work! I'm sure there are more people tracking this than just us who are commenting on the thread :}

On 4/20/2020 at 11:08 PM, shaggy08251993 said:

Been about 4 months since I posted, but just wanted to say again to keep up the good work! I'm sure there are more people tracking this than just us who are commenting on the thread :}

Cheers! A lot of discussion is taking place on the Discord, but the game is kind of on hold right now due to me having to work through my Master Thesis, among other things.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, baraklava said:

Development is currently slow due to me having to spend a lot of time on my Master's thesis, but I fully expect to pick up the pace soon and release the full "Vehicles update".

But for now... Here's a quick look at some working first-person controls with forced low ambient lighting. Do I need to say more?

Lol! Get hired by Lego Media already.

• 2 weeks later...
shaggy08251993

I'm keeping my fingers crossed and my hopes up because it isn't hard to tell how dedicated you are to this project. My only concern is that usually, "Development is slow right now..." are the infamous last words of projects that die :/ We understand though that schooling takes priority.

• Guest unfeatured, featured and unfeatured this topic

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.