Sign in to follow this  
Hamhock666

LEGO Island .wdb Extractor

Hamhock666

I don't know if anyone is still interested, or this has already been done, but I made a ripper for the WORLD.WDB file. It extracts most of the models and textures and outputs them in .obj format. I think it's just the models with animations that don't extract. Also the normals for the model faces will need to be inverted.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3tdaozqaqvkgni2/wdb_ripper.zip?dl=0

Mysteli
18 hours ago, Hamhock666 said:

I don't know if anyone is still interested, or this has already been done

Always, and not really. At least not the models part.

That's interesting. The World.wdb file you included is 1763[dec] bytes larger than mine.

Anyhow, this is great, here's a screenshot of the island:

LEGO_Island_Render.png

Edited by Xiron
Uploaded better image

Hamhock666

I'm not sure if you saw, but there are separate hi def textures for the island, it was sort of an exception in world.wdb. The higher resolution texures are prefixed with "hide_^", which would probably fix the problem of all the rock textures in the picture being black.

I might try to make a tool to reverse the process and put models back into the world.wdb, but im not sure how well Lego Island would accept it.

Mysteli

I'm aware, also, I didn't finish setting the hi-def textures because I was in a bit of a hurry. ;P Also, some of the black was caused by horrible lighting.

A reverse way would be awesome. Although in the island's case it would be handy to know how world boundaries work in this game.

Are walk-ables defined by textures, or by other means, etc.

I get several models giving an "invalid texture index" error on import (at least in 3dsMax, Blender can handle it).

Mysteli
14 hours ago, lordtobi909 said:

May I bump this old post?

Only if the reason is good enough, and that was decent enough.

I'll PM my WDB to you.

Mysteli

Was it? Apologize, either I made a typo or mixed the two up when initially posting that.

Who knows? Your guess is as good as ours. Also, are you sure Hamhock's version is older? I believe mine is an original disk. Getting removed later might make more sense if it was an unnecessary file.

mumboking
On 27/12/2015 at 3:51 AM, Xiron said:

Anyhow, this is great, here's a screenshot of the island:

LEGO_Island_Render.png

I must be doing something wrong... If I import the island (or any other mesh) into blender, the lighting is... how do I say this?... reversed? It's also upside down. :?:

Hamhock666
9 minutes ago, mumboking said:

I must be doing something wrong... If I import the island (or any other mesh) into blender, the lighting is... how do I say this?... reversed? It's also upside down. :?:

I think that is because the normals are inverted. I'm not sure why but when I was figuring out the file format, the normals for the faces were all pointing in from the faces. So you need to invert the normals to get the faces facing the right way. In blender, you want to select everything, go into edit mode, then hit W and click Flip Normals.

mumboking
28 minutes ago, Hamhock666 said:

I think that is because the normals are inverted. I'm not sure why but when I was figuring out the file format, the normals for the faces were all pointing in from the faces. So you need to invert the normals to get the faces facing the right way. In blender, you want to select everything, go into edit mode, then hit W and click Flip Normals.

I tried flipping the normals, the reversed lighting still remains.  :-/

Mysteli

Hmmmm, I'll have to double check what I did when I get home.

@hamhock666 Any chance on an update? I think a lot of people would like one.

Hamhock666
9 minutes ago, Xiron said:

Any chance on an update? I think a lot of people would like one.

Yea, I was taking a look at the files, and I realized that my program did not extract all of the files that it could have. There are some files that contain more than one model, and I just didn't know how to read them, but I have made progress on extracting them, its pretty similar to the other ones. I will probably get it working soon and upload it.

And then theres the whole putting these models back into the game, im not sure whether people are more interested in modding the game or just extracting the models for their own use.

bphillips09
5 hours ago, Hamhock666 said:

Yea, I was taking a look at the files, and I realized that my program did not extract all of the files that it could have. There are some files that contain more than one model, and I just didn't know how to read them, but I have made progress on extracting them, its pretty similar to the other ones. I will probably get it working soon and upload it.

And then theres the whole putting these models back into the game, im not sure whether people are more interested in modding the game or just extracting the models for their own use.

I noticed when I was going through them that some models were missing but the materials were there. I think the main ones were the racetrack, police station, jail, cave, and hospital. 

mumboking
39 minutes ago, Xiron said:

@mumboking

So is this your problem? Flat textures? If not, I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "reversed lighting" (screenshot?)

No. Hmm...

Okay.

This is the island freshly imported with a sun light and the viewport shading set to "Material".

Screenshot%2028.png

You'll notice that the island is pretty much completely black.

This is the underside of the island... Lit up by the sun...

Screenshot%2029.png

Now you see that the island is inverted/mirrored/whatever.

Mysteli

I don't have a sun or any light source in my scene shown above.

I know this is going to sound very stupid, but have you tried rotating the island 180° to face up and moved the light source to be above it?

Needed to check that image again, so the sun is above hmm? Hmm.