Ninja-Trix

Lego Chess Crash Fix?

Ninja-Trix

One of my favorite classic Lego games was and still is Lego Chess, but running it on Windows 10 is nearly impossible. I installed the patch to fix the disc read error and can play the game but after certain random actions it just crashes. I also am forced to run the game in a lower resolution due to a lack of options. If anybody has any tips to lower the crash rate or stop it altogether I am all ears.

Summary: Game boots and is playable but crashes often.

aidenpons

To my knowledge the crash rate cannot be avoided.. I think I got it working on Win10 but didn't play it. I did play it more extensively on its "original hardware," a WinXP machine - and even then, it still crashed.

IIRC Lego Chess does have a save-load function, so you can just save every few turns or so. But doing so can be slow and annoying - and it's really demoralizing to lose your progress and your chain of thought, regardless of how much is lost.

Not sure what can be done about the resolution though.

mumboking

For me, it's crashed on everything I've attempted to run it on, except the Windows 98 PC I played it on a lot as a kid.

LDD Mods

It doesn't crash if you save the game after every move on a virtual Windows XP PC. Also worked alright and with cutscenes on my old XP machine back in early 2000s

I have a graphics issue with a couple of the old LEGO games in my collection. One is creator kk not showing cutscenes but playing audio, or not showing tutorial levels properly on screen, the other is chess with vertical lines in game and no cutscenes except the in game animated cutscenes. One day either me or someone else will get cutscenes working.