Anyone else hate the voice acting?

RobberBaron

RobberBaron

I play most of the TT Lego games, but I really don't like the voice acting and the trend to make it more and more 'cinematic'. I preferred the miming and visual gags.

I think that was funnier than the kid-friendly dialogue we get. Either that, or we get audio clips straight from the movie like Lego Avengers, which just looks really odd. Then they have really long cutscenes that do nothing but recreate the movie. It has an uncanny valley effect, when Lego should be spoofing the source material and should just be lighthearted and fun.

Also, some of the clips are used in really weird ways: I remember playing as Scarlet Witch and she just mutters "You're a madman" every minute or so for no reason! And then her mortal scream from the film is played every time she uses her special power, gets a bit much.

Then again, maybe I'm only saying that because I grew up with the originals!

• Like 2

I've only played Lego The Hobbit, Lego LoTR, and LSW1&2, as well as watching (not playing) a full playthrough of Lego DC Super Villains, so keep that in mind;

The voice acting is fine. With a couple of notable exceptions, it doesn't detract any more from the game than some of the stupendous sound and absurd gameplay (driving pigs through checkpoints in Lego LOTR, anyone?). Similarily, it doesn't add much more to the game than the above - there have only been a couple of (no, wait, one) cutscenes where I thought the voice acting was good.

Cases where voice acting has been annoying:

- Perhaps I could indulge you in a little trade / What time is it? It's trade-o-clock (Lego The Hobbit, NPC open world dialogue) - extremely repetitive, obnoxious, and LOUD not to mention an absurd feature of gameplay

- Come on hobbits! Long ways to go yet. Come on hobbits! Long ways to go yet. Come on hobbits! Long ways to go yet. Come on hobbits! Long ways to go yet. Come on hobbits! Long ways to go yet. Come on hobbits! Long ways to go yet. Come on hobbits! Long ways to go yet. Come on hobbits! Long ways to go yet. Come on hobbits! Long ways to go yet. (Lego LoTR, in-level) please just shut up Gollum (this is combined with terrible level design)

- P'raps you could get me a methreal trowel to replace me tatty old one? (Lego LOTR, fetchquest dialogue) really out of place and makes no sense combined with an extremely annoying mechanic

Cases where voice acting has been good:

- one cutscene in Lego LoTR of the counsel after Minas Tirith was well done, condensing a lot of dialogue and plot points into something very small

- the dialog that occurs during gameplay in Lego DC Super Villains (we go up while keeping a low profile!)

Picking apart the voice acting just seems a little irrelevant compared to picking apart other design decisions... like the forced replayability by minikit hunting, endgame content and a lack thereof into the non-endgame (to smash Mithril in Lego LOTR, you need Saruman or the Beserker, both of whom are only available after the last level is won, utterly defeating the point of replaying any levels mid-game), too many characters with too many abilities (Lego The Hobbit - uh so this dwarf has this no wait it's that dwarf and I need to hold U to open the inventory and switch to that so I can finally press K for that one ability), too many characters with no abilities, bugs (Lego The Hobbit - Riddles in the Dark, crashes aside Gandalf will often never appear for the midboss), or tedious level design (Lego LOTR - Dead Marshes, doing the same thing over and over and over again), or really anything else about the TT games.

I have played only some of LEGO TT games from past and I didn't even know new ones have voice acting ? Oh man... I always thought that without voice acting every child would enjoy the stories without language barrier. Like when I was playing the LEGO Star Wars series I completely understood the basic concept of the story and later I watched the movies and thought that TT made pretty good job.

I haven't heard how awful the voice acting really is so I can't say yay or nah. I'll just state that I have always thought that LEGO games identity is that they are easy to understand and have some LEGO humour on them :) 

This is something that has been mildly annoying in my opinion about many of TT's games. I much prefer the expressive sounds minifigs made in the first games that they created. When I've played the games without voice acting, you sort of imagine the dialogue that's taking place. That, and there's something a little strange about hearing human voices out of plastic heads.... :blank:

• 3 weeks later...
MinifigRenderer

Talking about storylines, they completely destroyed the original storyline of the Lego movie 2. They completely did a different story, only did small references to the movie and had no original cast members unlike the first game. It's one of the reasons I'm disappointed in Star Wars: Skywalker Saga. There are plenty of Star Wars actors that would probably love reprising their roles like Anthony Daniels (C-3PO), Ian Mcdiamond, and Mark Hamill.

1 hour ago, LDD Mods said:

Talking about storylines, they completely destroyed the original storyline of the Lego movie 2. They completely did a different story, only did small references to the movie and had no original cast members unlike the first game. It's one of the reasons I'm disappointed in Star Wars: Skywalker Saga. There are plenty of Star Wars actors that would probably love reprising their roles like Anthony Daniels (C-3PO), Ian Mcdiamond, and Mark Hamill.

Wait, they're doing the same thing in the new STAR WARS game that they did with The LEGO MOVIE 2 game? Does that also include the LEGO Worlds-like format? 

MinifigRenderer

I watched an interview with one of the developers on YouTube and majority I got was that they're having no original cast members. I was a bit annoyed after this was said so I didn't really pay much attention to anything else said

21 hours ago, LDD Mods said:

I watched an interview with one of the developers on YouTube and majority I got was that they're having no original cast members. I was a bit annoyed after this was said so I didn't really pay much attention to anything else said

If they got rid of the voices and returned to expressive sounds they wouldn't need worry about casting voice actors all that much.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.