The cut LRR Snack bar/Canteen actually makes an appearance in the cutscenes!

baraklava

So it might just be me who is really interested in cut content and things that is incredibly hard or impossible to recover, but if you've ever done some digging around in the LRR files, you've probably found a thing or two that does not appear in the game. One of those things is the Canteen, or Snack Bar, which appears to later have been cut in favour of the Support Station for feeding purposes. Contrary to the Tool Station (the beta Tool Store https://kb.rockraidersunited.com/Tool_Store#/media/File:Tool_Store_manual.png ) it does not appear to have an in-game model left over. This makes it immensely hard to recreate what it looks like. 

But lo' and behold, you can actually see (part of) it in one of the cutscenes! Take a look: 

w0wkAbX.png

...well, partly, at least! This might point to one of the buildings of the Canteen building being a crystal energy harvester, or for sending crystals to the LMS... or it's simply just that they repurposed the canteen.

YouTube link with timestamp: 

(If you're wondering how I found this, I'm currently meticulously studying the LMS architecture in order to try rebuilding the environments in Stud.io in glorious modern-day HD)

So what this means is that the "Canteen" which serves sanwiches instead is a storage for energy crystals. It must then flatten them, apply white paint, and hand them over to the sandwiches to the hungry RRs on the other side.

But wait! Only Rock Monsters eat Energy Crystals. Does this mean that Rock Raiders themselves are Rock Monsters? Given their familiarity with them and that they ride them from the inside, the only logical conclusion is that Rock Raiders are Rock Monsters, hungry for crystals.

This can be confirmed in the book "Save the Spaceship," whereby a Rock Monster manages to make its way onto the LMS Explorer after all the crystals are collected. This isn't a freak event - a Rock Raider accidentally turned back into his original form. But why this causes surprise among the Rock Raider team is then strange. Could it be that they don't know that what's on their fleet is none other than their enemies themselves? Is this merely a lure by the Rock Monsters? Obscure bits of lore from questionable sources mention that there were structures on Planet U that lent themselves to an alien civilization, but the Rock Monsters were too primitive. Perhaps these older, more advanced beings, are merely using the Rock Monsters as their minions, providing Chief with even an entire spaceship filled with their subordinates - but then, to what end?

You've found more out than you thought, baraklava :P

BrickDelver

Has anyone built any of these extra sort of 'builds' sprinkled through the game? Because I noticed the released set range is much narrower than the amount of stuff which you can put together in the LRR game!

43 minutes ago, BrickDelver said:

Has anyone built any of these extra sort of 'builds' sprinkled through the game? Because I noticed the released set range is much narrower than the amount of stuff which you can put together in the LRR game!

Many fans throughout the years have built the separate buildings, but the problem is that some are literally *impossible* to build correctly as their in-game model is not very good and the official renders are only from a front angle, so people have to make estimations of how they are built. I've actually just finished building them all myself and the amount of details in the builds is astounding, no wonder people miss some. Personally I couldn't get satisfied at all with the Large Mobile Laser Cutter, it's a real pain to build... 

One of the best collections can be found here: 

Although I don't think he has the Beta Tool Station like I do ;)

I07x1Ud.jpg

BrickDelver

I forgot about those old dynamite tiles!

Most of what I remember picking them up in were those indiana jones style sets, adventurers or whatever they called them

Orient Expedition I think it was?

@BrickDelver Yeah they were used in Adventurers sets. It was like Indiana Jones but in LEGOs and it was rebranded as a Orient Expedition in early 2000 :) Ahhh I got so nostalgic because I always wanted some of those sets but never got one until now in adulthood. I bought the Sphinx one in Bricklink and I'm happy about that deal. That set also have those dynamite plates :D 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, baraklava said:

Many fans throughout the years have built the separate buildings, but the problem is that some are literally *impossible* to build correctly as their in-game model is not very good and the official renders are only from a front angle, so people have to make estimations of how they are built. I've actually just finished building them all myself and the amount of details in the builds is astounding, no wonder people miss some. Personally I couldn't get satisfied at all with the Large Mobile Laser Cutter, it's a real pain to build... 

Nothing (images down :() is impossible for those with enough patience (images alive), and the lengths one can go to (at least one image alive) can be.... surprising.

Hardly 'impossible.' :P

I was going to say "Nothing is impossible," but then I realised that this really doesn't apply to the PC game Lego Rock Raiders.... for starters, 'behaving itself' and 'not crashing'

5 hours ago, aidenpons said:

Nothing (images down :() is impossible for those with enough patience (images alive), and the lengths one can go to (at least one image alive) can be.... surprising.

Hardly 'impossible.' :P

I was going to say "Nothing is impossible," but then I realised that this really doesn't apply to the PC game Lego Rock Raiders.... for starters, 'behaving itself' and 'not crashing'

Well, yes, but Jimbo's instructions are way out of date, and what I meant with impossible is that some models differ betwee the render, in-game model and the game files, and some geometry is outright impossible. Case on point: Tunnel Scout's baseplate where the wedge plate cuts into the dome plate, and the in-game docks which features ladder pieces in an impossible manner. However many of the modeling problems due to engine limitations, and with that in mind I've been able to get incredibly close to what the "true source model" would look like. I'll be posting my meticulously researched Stud.io files sometime in the future, where I've tried to triangulate the models as much as possible

... Hey wait, this is a thread about the Canteen, what is going on

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.