Nothing works

wafflellama007

wafflellama007

I've really gotten the itch to play LEGO Racers 2 again, but for the life of me I cannot get the game to run on Windows 10. (graphics card GeForce GTX 760) I've tried everything I've found online about possible solutions for the problem. I've tried running the installer in Windows XP compatibility mode, to no avail. The compatibility workarounds seem to bypass the infamous "Not Enough Memory" error, but when I boot up the game I get a black full screen frame for a second which the promptly disappears. Also, when prompted to install the DirectX 8.0a and I accept it, I follow the prompts but eventually the button to install it on the panel doesn't do anything when clicked. 

I tried downloading an updated installer from a blog post on play old PC games  which made installation seem promising, only to get the black frame issue again. What really annoys me is that in the comments on YouTube videos showing how to fix the issue on Windows 7, people claim to get working for Windows 10, but I just can't. I feel like the only person in the world that has the problem sometimes. I'm really at a loss here, but I don't want to give up. Any tips or help appreciated. 

I would blame at least some of this on LR2 usually requiring the disk to run, which it doesn't like. Check out these two topics:

Additionally, as for the black screen... :S I have a functioning copy of LR2, almost entirely lagless, on Win10 and am not entirely sure how I did it.

It probably won't help, but try adding /windowed  to the Target box of a shortcut (right-click Lego Racers 2.exe -> create shortcut -> right click the new shortcut -> properties -> at the end of the Target box outside the quotes, put /windowed .

When you get this black frame issue, is it before or after the intro movies? Could it possibly be a crash due to not having the correct codec to play the movies? I know this occurs for some people playing LEGO Rock Raiders, but possibly could be a similar case with LR2.

wafflellama007

Thanks for taking the time to post advice guys, I appreciate it.

Aidenpons - I didn't have any luck with either the developer patcher or the archive editor. Then again, I am not too experienced with this type of thing so it could be operator error. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ The UNGTC program just opens the window for a millisecond then closes - ironically like my LR2.

The developer patcher always returned errors when I tried patching the installer or any other file, saying that the access to the file is denied.

The windowed trick didn't do it either. I have and am using my disc copy of the game.

jamesster - no luck there either :/

Cyrem - Before. I don't see even a single frame of the bricks moving to make the LEGO software logo. I didn't have the proper codec for the .mpg video files, but I got the extension from the Microsoft store and now I can watch the cutscenes if I open them straight from the files, but I still have the black screen error when attempting to start the game.

44 minutes ago, wafflellama007 said:

Aidenpons - I didn't have any luck with either the developer patcher or the archive editor. Then again, I am not too experienced with this type of thing so it could be operator error. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ The UNGTC program just opens the window for a millisecond then closes - ironically like my LR2.

The developer patcher always returned errors when I tried patching the installer or any other file, saying that the access to the file is denied.

The windowed trick didn't do it either. I have and am using my disc copy of the game.

If it's saying 'access is denied' that is probably because you installed it in Program Files, which Windows gets fussier about programs editing over the years. Try moving the LR2 installation anywhere else and giving the patcher another go?

Additionally, the first link did provide manual information on patching it, although this can be a little hard to do.

wafflellama007
16 hours ago, aidenpons said:

If it's saying 'access is denied' that is probably because you installed it in Program Files, which Windows gets fussier about programs editing over the years. Try moving the LR2 installation anywhere else and giving the patcher another go?

Additionally, the first link did provide manual information on patching it, although this can be a little hard to do.

I'm trying to uninstall it now but it just comes up with "an installation support file could not be installed - catastrophic failure" 

Also, the instructions in the first link don't lead me anywhere cause the UNGTC doesn't even launch.

Not even using a VirtualBox running Windows XP and installing LR2 doesn't do anything. The game simply doesn't launch.

kill me

edit: I can't see anything wrong with the actual disc itself either. I am the only person on the planet who can't get LR2  to run by any means

Edited by wafflellama007

dy_enforcer
On 7/13/2019 at 9:54 AM, wafflellama007 said:

I've really gotten the itch to play LEGO Racers 2 again, but for the life of me I cannot get the game to run on Windows 10. (graphics card GeForce GTX 760) I've tried everything I've found online about possible solutions for the problem. I've tried running the installer in Windows XP compatibility mode, to no avail. The compatibility workarounds seem to bypass the infamous "Not Enough Memory" error, but when I boot up the game I get a black full screen frame for a second which the promptly disappears. Also, when prompted to install the DirectX 8.0a and I accept it, I follow the prompts but eventually the button to install it on the panel doesn't do anything when clicked. 

From the bold and underline statement. This is one of the problems I encountered when I attempt to install lego racers 2 on Win10. This may not help you but based on my experience, you need to install direct x8.0 for the game to work. It will take at least 5-6 minutes to install but afterwards, it should be working. Also make sure you set the compatability mode to service pack 3.

EDIT: When I play LR2, there are times that it goes black screen and for at least a second, it went back to windows screen. Again not sure if its the same as your problem but if it is, Try going to My Documents and look for Lego Racers 2 folder, go there and go to Install folder and click on Lego Racers 2.exe It will play LR2 there instead on Program Files.

wafflellama007
18 hours ago, dy_enforcer said:

From the bold and underline statement. This is one of the problems I encountered when I attempt to install lego racers 2 on Win10. This may not help you but based on my experience, you need to install direct x8.0 for the game to work. It will take at least 5-6 minutes to install but afterwards, it should be working. Also make sure you set the compatability mode to service pack 3.

EDIT: When I play LR2, there are times that it goes black screen and for at least a second, it went back to windows screen. Again not sure if its the same as your problem but if it is, Try going to My Documents and look for Lego Racers 2 folder, go there and go to Install folder and click on Lego Racers 2.exe It will play LR2 there instead on Program Files.

Where do you install DirectX 8.0a from? None of the versions I've found online work.

dy_enforcer
13 minutes ago, wafflellama007 said:

Where do you install DirectX 8.0a from? None of the versions I've found online work.

From LR2 install. After you install the game, it prompt you to install microsoft Directx 8.0, click on yes and accept legal terms and it would say in the Directx setup box, Install and close. It won't respond at first when I click install once but wait for a few minutes and it should say Directx setup has completed successfully.

EDIT: Worst case scenario would be more than 10 minutes to install Directx8.0. I learn that with my Dell Inspiron Laptop with Win10.?

wafflellama007
35 minutes ago, dy_enforcer said:

From LR2 install. After you install the game, it prompt you to install microsoft Directx 8.0, click on yes and accept legal terms and it would say in the Directx setup box, Install and close. It won't respond at first when I click install once but wait for a few minutes and it should say Directx setup has completed successfully.

EDIT: Worst case scenario would be more than 10 minutes to install Directx8.0. I learn that with my Dell Inspiron Laptop with Win10.?

When I accept the legal agreement, this panel shows up: https://imgur.com/a/oy4GUgD

I click on install and then close as you said, but neither seem to do anything. After I clicked install I waited like 15 minutes and nothing happened. The panel just stayed there. I can only close it through task manager.

dy_enforcer
2 hours ago, wafflellama007 said:

When I accept the legal agreement, this panel shows up: https://imgur.com/a/oy4GUgD

I click on install and then close (?) as you said, but neither seem to do anything. After I clicked install I waited like 15 minutes and nothing happened. The panel just stayed there. I can only close it through task manager.

You click close? Its just click install and wait for a few minutes. When you click install, did the cursor(pointer) push the box?

Edit: If in case it does not work, try going to my documents and look for LEGO Racers 2 folder, look for install folder and try to find a directx8.0 folder. If you find it, DON'T DO ANYTHING YET. Let me know first. ?

wafflellama007

19 hours ago, dy_enforcer said:

You click close? Its just click install and wait for a few minutes. When you click install, did the cursor(pointer) push the box?

Edit: If in case it does not work, try going to my documents and look for LEGO Racers 2 folder, look for install folder and try to find a directx8.0 folder. If you find it, DON'T DO ANYTHING YET. Let me know first. ?

Yea it pushed the install button. Then I waited 15 minutes and nothing happened. 

My computer didn't save the game to Documents. The path to get to the LR2 folder is:

This PC -> Windows8_OS ->  Program Files x86  - > LEGO Media -> Lego Racers 2

But there is no installation folder or anything about DirectX 8.0a

Edit: I closed out of the DirectX(R) panel and tried booting up the game from the folder on the PC (not disc) and ran compatibility settings but I still got the black window that opens for a second then closes.

• Sad 1

dy_enforcer

Have you tried to install directx from the LR2 installation menu? Try that and let me know if it works.

EDIT: If possible try uninstalling it or use add or remove programs to remove lego racers 2 and restart your computer and then reinstall again but I recommend to try installing Directx first from LR2 menu

I think you may check this link as it may be related to LEGO Racers 2 as well:

wafflellama007
22 hours ago, mumboking said:

I tried it to no avail. Thanks though.

On 7/17/2019 at 6:08 PM, dy_enforcer said:

Have you tried to install directx from the LR2 installation menu? Try that and let me know if it works.

EDIT: If possible try uninstalling it or use add or remove programs to remove lego racers 2 and restart your computer and then reinstall again but I recommend to try installing Directx first from LR2 menu

I think you may check this link as it may be related to LEGO Racers 2 as well:

I deleted everything LR2 related from my PC and ran the setup.exe in XP compatibility and as administrator. The game files are installed fine but when I try to install DirectX8.0a from the setup.exe menu I have the same issue where it pushes the install button and I wait more than 10 minutes only to have absolutely nothing happen. The link you posted may be the source of the problem, but it seems the only way to bypass it is to reactivate a driver which makes your PC far more susceptible to viruses and that's a risk I'd rather not take....

Anyway, if I can't get it running on PC, I do have a contingency plan. I ordered a PlayStation 2 copy off Amazon as I still have my PS2. It is possible I could get it to run through a PS2 emulator like PCSX2 on the PC.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.