Cannot Play LEGO Rock Raiders (Win 7)

CorinthMaxwell

CorinthMaxwell

Well, then........Seeing as how I always seem to be the last person to know about something, I had no idea at all that there was an entire website and message board dedicated to getting older (re: pre-TT) LEGO PC games to run properly on newer computers. Nonetheless, my current predicament applies to only one of those games, which is "LEGO Rock Raiders".

My problems begin thus: I have installed the latest version of the Cafeteria launcher because I want to be able to use mods with my game -- specifically, the ones that fix a bug preventing you from getting 100% completion (which is something I hadn't even heard of before last WEEK, and I've had this game since the late 90s!). My first major issue is that Cafeteria will not display the game properly on my Windows 7 laptop with any resolution support greater than 640x480 Full Screen.

Apparently, the game will also not allow itself to be run in windowed mode for any resolution at all -- for example, the option to click "OK" when force-selecting a higher resolution in windowed mode through the launcher is completely ghosted, and causes the launcher itself to freeze. And before you ask, the answer is "yes"......I have tried the DGVoodoo control panel to fix the resolution problems, but that seems to have brought along its own set of complaints, as I keep getting an error message for "DirectX 6" every time I attempt to launch through Cafeteria (apparently, removing all DGVoodoo files fixes this). 8S

The second major issue that I have is what happened when the game actually did run through the launcher. I opened the first tutorial so that I could re-orientate myself with the basic controls and gameplay, and I couldn't even get past the tutorial opening because the button that you're supposed to click to move the tutorial forward became unclickable, probably due to how Cafeteria or one of the mods that I'm using alters the game screen. Needless to say, this is a problem because as far as I know, without Cafeteria launching the game, I will not be able to use any mods with the game at all.

I don't know if these issues have been addressed by anyone prior to this topic being created, but I hope that anyone with any information on what I'm dealing with can help me with them. Thanks for having this site available for people like me to find help & support for older LEGO games like this.

Hey @CorinthMaxwell

I assume before attempting to play in window mode, your display mode has been set to 16bit colour? (as that is the only mode it will work in)

Anyway, regarding cafeteria, I see you're using the previous version. Things have changed a lot since that version. I recommend trying LRR:CE which includes a new version of Cafeteria along with it. I recommend trying it on a clean install of LRR to avoid any needless issues of copy pasting over the old cafeteria. Follow the instructions in the topic.

CorinthMaxwell

Started over from the beginning with the new launcher. Apparently, the game doesn't care what you run it as, as long as you're not trying to use W98 compatibility. Unfortunately, my problems have yet to be ended.

This is what happens when I load the Training Missions menu now. Note how the mouse cursor is constantly trying to embed itself into the screen.

This is what I get when I actually load a mission. It's great that the message screen is now properly working, at least. 8S

Clearly, I'm still missing something, but I'm not sure what that something is yet.

10 hours ago, CorinthMaxwell said:

This is what happens when I load the Training Missions menu now. Note how the mouse cursor is constantly trying to embed itself into the screen.

This is what I get when I actually load a mission. It's great that the message screen is now properly working, at least. 8S

1. This is expected as the training missions screen and save game screens are not yet adapted to higher resolutions. It doesn't look pretty, but it is functional.

2. The black screen is something that seems to occur often in training missions, we don't know the cause exactly, but I found enabling vsync in dgvoodoo to help. How are the actual game levels?

CorinthMaxwell
1 hour ago, Cyrem said:

2. The black screen is something that seems to occur often in training missions, we don't know the cause exactly, but I found enabling vsync in dgvoodoo to help. How are the actual game levels?

No idea, actually. I've reinstalled dgVoodoo to see if it would fix anything, and now I'm being told that DirectX version 6 needs to be installed yet again.

EDIT: Changing the DirectX options to "passthru to real DirectX" just gives me the same blacked out screen. :/

Edited by CorinthMaxwell
Additional information

It's a bit late to say this but I was sure I posted it earlier. Evidently not. At least the post saved. :P

On 6/4/2019 at 5:13 AM, CorinthMaxwell said:

The second major issue that I have is what happened when the game actually did run through the launcher. I opened the first tutorial so that I could re-orientate myself with the basic controls and gameplay, and I couldn't even get past the tutorial opening because the button that you're supposed to click to move the tutorial forward became unclickable, probably due to how Cafeteria or one of the mods that I'm using alters the game screen. Needless to say, this is a problem because as far as I know, without Cafeteria launching the game, I will not be able to use any mods with the game at all.

This happens with the older version of Cafeteria (v0.9.3) but is fixed in Cafeteria CE. LRR's not a terribly difficult game to work out how to play in any case :P and the Sonic Blaster on the final tutorial mission still crashes the game for some of us :P

Also, if you're referring to this mod, it doesn't have a Cafeteria version off the bat: you can bodge it into existence by making the "vanilla" LegoRR0 and LegoRR1.wad files contain that modded Lego.cfg. This one does, and so does this one, but neither of those address the 100% score issue (mostly because myself and Cyrem, the creator of those mods respectively, mostly forgot that score is a thing in LRR :D)

As for actually getting LRR running, I'd recommend first trying to get it running without Cafeteria. Cafeteria can make some massive QOL improvements but it can't actually get the game running if it isn't already. I made this as a troubleshooting guide:

although my initial approach of 'one-guide-fits-all' has proved not to be the case, although it does mean we don't need to ask you the basics :P I see you've already tried dgVoodoo, but I can't quite see if you tried to run it in windowed mode (which for some reason tends to work better than fullscreen) - and I mean LRR's inbuilt windowed mode, not playing around with dgVoodoo's settings. (Information's in that guide).

21 hours ago, Cyrem said:

To my knowledge the black screen seems to occur when SetCameraGotoTutorial is called - which is basically all the time in training missions. :P  (It's a command that moves the camera) However calling it doesn't always cause a black screen. As Cyrem said, do the actual game levels work any better?

CorinthMaxwell
1 hour ago, aidenpons said:

To my knowledge the black screen seems to occur when SetCameraGotoTutorial is called - which is basically all the time in training missions. :P  (It's a command that moves the camera) However calling it doesn't always cause a black screen. As Cyrem said, do the actual game levels work any better?

No, they are not working any better. In fact, the first mission is just as blacked out as the training missions, so now I'm wondering just what it is that's causing the problem.

3 minutes ago, CorinthMaxwell said:

No, they are not working any better. In fact, the first mission is just as blacked out as the training missions, so now I'm wondering just what it is that's causing the problem. 

This suggests that LRR is being silly along all domains. Have you tried windowed mode yet? Not with dgVooodoo nor in Cafeteria, just standard Windowed Mode as reccomended by this guide:

CorinthMaxwell

Just got finished playing through the first mission. Apparently, the game can and WILL run just fine, so long as I ignore the existence of the training missions. :buh:

Looks like my playthrough of this game is going to be a literal "trial by fire". :old_meh: Thanks for all of the help......I'll reply here again if I have any other unfortunate mishaps. ;P

4 minutes ago, CorinthMaxwell said:

Just got finished playing through the first mission. Apparently, the game can and WILL run just fine, so long as I ignore the existence of the training missions. :buh:

Looks like my playthrough of this game is going to be a literal "trial by fire". :old_meh: Thanks for all of the help......I'll reply here again if I have any other unfortunate mishaps. ;P

Huzzah! It works! :D

Don't worry, the training missions just show you most of the controls. And the early levels are basically sandboxes. Things that might be a little uninuitive:

- Explosive Experts, needed to dynamite Hard Rock, can only be trained from a Level 2 Tool Store

- Press Action Stations up the top right and any raiders with hand weapons will run off to shoot slugs/monsters

- Sonic Blasters are supposed to scare slugs and must be dropped manually. However there's a 50% chance doing so will crash the game.

- Commands to drill walls can either be issued by a) clicking the unit and telling it to drill the wall, or b) clicking the wall and giving it a drill order

- Electric Fences can be placed to OKHO monsters, but they will not damage slugs

Things that the tutorials don't tell you anyway:

- Crystals drained by slugs and lasers need recharging at a Recharge Seam

- Reinforcing walls stops monsters emerging & landslides

- Change Priorities around for best results (I like these - bonus plug, this is changed by default in my Improvements Pack :P). This is particularly important when it comes to reinforcing, which unless it's above shovelling and ore LRRs will never do manually

- Erosion (you get a mission on this and Chief's briefing is quite in-depth)

- Oxygen (you also get a mission on this and Chief explains what to do)

I'm generally rather impressed with LRR: if none of your LRRs have a shovel and rubble appears, they'll automatically go to the Tool Store to pick one up. I'm unimpressed with a lot of other things, but it's impressive how the AI responds to new tasks.

CorinthMaxwell
2 hours ago, aidenpons said:

Huzzah! It works! :D

Don't worry, the training missions just show you most of the controls. And the early levels are basically sandboxes. Things that might be a little uninuitive:

- Explosive Experts, needed to dynamite Hard Rock, can only be trained from a Level 2 Tool Store

- Press Action Stations up the top right and any raiders with hand weapons will run off to shoot slugs/monsters

- Sonic Blasters are supposed to scare slugs and must be dropped manually. However there's a 50% chance doing so will crash the game.

- Commands to drill walls can either be issued by a) clicking the unit and telling it to drill the wall, or b) clicking the wall and giving it a drill order

- Electric Fences can be placed to OKHO monsters, but they will not damage slugs

Things that the tutorials don't tell you anyway:

- Crystals drained by slugs and lasers need recharging at a Recharge Seam

- Reinforcing walls stops monsters emerging & landslides

- Change Priorities around for best results (I like these - bonus plug, this is changed by default in my Improvements Pack :P). This is particularly important when it comes to reinforcing, which unless it's above shovelling and ore LRRs will never do manually

- Erosion (you get a mission on this and Chief's briefing is quite in-depth)

- Oxygen (you also get a mission on this and Chief explains what to do)

Like I said, trial by fire. Most of these things I've essentially learned on the fly in the past hour or so, and I've since been wondering if I always already knew that most of those things could be done in the base game or not. :old_geek:

EDIT: Ok, then.....now I'm just plain annoyed.

Using dynamite on the rubble nearest to where the Tool Store is located at the beginning of "The Path to Power" automatically crashes the game (for whatever ridiculous reason). Tried it again whilst thinking that "if it's not shown on screen, then the error can't appear".......apparently, it CAN. Either the game just has it in for me, or it somehow can't reconcile that my team has access to high explosives that can destroy rock walls this early in the game.

On 6/7/2019 at 1:15 PM, CorinthMaxwell said:

Like I said, trial by fire. Most of these things I've essentially learned on the fly in the past hour or so, and I've since been wondering if I always already knew that most of those things could be done in the base game or not. :old_geek:

EDIT: Ok, then.....now I'm just plain annoyed.

Using dynamite on the rubble nearest to where the Tool Store is located at the beginning of "The Path to Power" automatically crashes the game (for whatever ridiculous reason). Tried it again whilst thinking that "if it's not shown on screen, then the error can't appear".......apparently, it CAN. Either the game just has it in for me, or it somehow can't reconcile that my team has access to high explosives that can destroy rock walls this early in the game.

Usually dynamite only crashes the game if it was dropped/reordered/something silly happened en route. I say 'usually' because... it's LRR. :P

The Sonic Blaster is an entirely difficult kettle of fish, and crashes the game unreliably for about 50% of users.

Oh, and one more thing: if you want to read what Chief would say in the tutorials unpack your WADs and poke around LegoRR0\Levels\GameLevels\TutorialLevels\some_name_goes_here\something_something.txt . Just open those up with Notepad; they're the dialog Chief says.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.