LRR not saving problem. Help

JoseFlombardo

JoseFlombardo

Hello everyone! This is the first time I post here and I am doing so because I have a little problem.

Last week I downloaded Lego Rock Raider (One of my favorites games from my childhood) on my old Windows 7 computer, and after many problems and fixes (That´s how I got here), I was able to install it and run it properly after I replaced it with the " Masterpiece edition" (https://www.rockraidersunited.com/files/lego_rock_raiders/resources/lrr-masterpiece-edition-exe-r249/), and added the "D3DRM.DLL" file. Finally I was able to play it again!!

Sadly, I took a break after a few levels and when I reopened the game, it didn´t save any file! I had to go through the levels again and I don´t know why. I have not found any information about this problem anywhere (It says that it saves the game once a level is complete, but all files are empty after I close the game). I also checked if the folder existed, an it does, with seven files (0.sav; 1.sav; 2.sav; 3.sav; 4.sav; 5.osf and 5.sav).

Can someone help me with this? Any suggestion? I will very much appreciate any information.

(I apologise for any misspell or weird expression. I´m actually from Argentina)

Thanks!!

lol username
5 hours ago, JoseFlombardo said:

(It says that it saves the game once a level is complete, but all files are empty after I close the game)

Just to clarify - the game doesn't autosave; you have to use the save button on the level complete screen. It sounds like that's what you're doing, but just want to confirm.

Also, if you're not already, you may want to run the the game as admin so the save files are placed in the expected location (right click the exe, select Properties, then in the Compatibility tab, tick the box for "Run this program as an administrator"). Otherwise, they'll be sent to the VirtualStore.

TXzJ2yu.png

I can also recommend installing the game to somewhere that isn't Program Files. Windows has become more and more picky with its permissions in ProgramFiles over the years and sometimes old games don't have proper write permissions to write their own save file (while VirtualStore exists and I think LRR is able to use that, I know of other games which don't). Unfortunately most things like to install to ProgramFiles by default...

I like to create a new folder called C:\Games or something like that, and just dump everything in there. In LRR's case you won't need to reinstall: just copy the files across. You will need to make some new shortcuts though, but nothing more.

Failing that, you can apply the command line parameter -testlevels which will unlock all levels. To do this, create a shortcut, right-click -> properties, then in the Target box put
-testlevels
on the end.

(P.S. I recall needing to use 'compatibility for WinXP' not 'run as admin' to fix the save file shenanigans on another game, but I could be wrong here. Tick both, I suppose :P)

EDIT: oh yes, one more thing: your English is fantastic!

Edited by aidenpons

lol username
9 hours ago, aidenpons said:

(P.S. I recall needing to use 'compatibility for WinXP' not 'run as admin' to fix the save file shenanigans on another game, but I could be wrong here. Tick both, I suppose :P)

Running as admin wouldn't be expected to fix this issue, it just makes sure they actually get saved to Program Files (thus avoiding having to install/move to another folder like you mentioned), which could make it easier to figure out what's actually happening.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.