The Ultimate LEGO Book: Rock Raiders prototypes

baraklava

So I just found out that the Rock Raiders prototype images come from a 1999 book called "The Ultimate LEGO Book"and I got interested in reading the rest of the Rock Raiders pages but I can't find it online anywhere, apart from the 3 well known prototype images (Granite Grinder, Loader Dozer, Rock Monster attack. However I'd really like a close-up of the other images and prototype parts as well! Does anyone know if there possibly is a scan of the book where I can find a larger-scale version of these pages? 

And also, if there are more prototype materials like this I'd really like to see it as I thought I had seen everything Rock Raiders until this morning when that Granite Grinder prototype jumped into my face

Here's a YouTube video showing the page in question, but at a very low resolution:

Well, until somebody finds a proper scan of the entire book/page, these crummy photos I took of my copy of the book will have to do:

lOJlyYQ.jpgFXK0Uqd.jpg

Here's some close-up photos:

Spoiler

UqBLAH1.jpg

1WSm37y.jpg

MwiYMZg.jpg

gBj691U.jpg

Hxbfkgp.jpg

I know these look like photos of the retail Rock Raider sets, but I'm posting them anyway because - after looking at the models closely - there's some differences between these models shown in the book and the final retail set (it's only minor things like using different bricks for the roll-cage hinge or some bricks being in different colours, but still):

vjfnFrU.jpg

xrfqmKR.jpg

Admittedly I left out the prototype models and the big piece of concept art, mainly because all three of those have already been on the internet for yonks.

7 hours ago, Ben24x7 said:

Here's some close-up photos:

Reveal hidden contents

UqBLAH1.jpg

1WSm37y.jpg

MwiYMZg.jpg

gBj691U.jpg

Hxbfkgp.jpg

I know these look like photos of the retail Rock Raider sets, but I'm posting them anyway because - after looking at the models closely - there's some differences between these models shown in the book and the final retail set (it's only minor things like using different bricks for the roll-cage hinge or some bricks being in different colours, but still):

vjfnFrU.jpg

xrfqmKR.jpg

Admittedly I left out the prototype models and the big piece of concept art, mainly because all three of those have already been on the internet for yonks.

Thanks, that's excellent!!

I'm spotting a hovercraft I've never seen before next to the computer and a monstrous vehicle in the table photo, like a scorpion-type Chrome Crusher. Also I love seeing those design buckets, it seems they actually went more according to the concept art in the beginning! 

It would be so awesome to find some of those old prototypes...

dcbstudios

Geez I haven't seen this book in forever! The memories this brings back. I remember getting this book about the same time I had gotten the Chrome Crusher set, the Rock Raiders game (currently playing in the background while my dudes grab some ore) and Lego Island... Such simpler times.  Thanks for the throwback. If me getting Rock Raiders running again wasn't enough of a nostalgia overload ? 

If you hadn't gotten to look through the book (PDF or original), I'd take a minute and peer through... It was chock full of some amazing stuff! 

If I can find a pdf to share I'll try to get it on here for you all. 

9 minutes ago, baraklava said:

I finally found some Hi-Res images of the rest of the prototypes! Not the entire book though:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=5649564

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=5649533

That scorpion seems fairly buildable at this resolution

The rest of the album is RR PC beta, worth checking out for people who haven't

Lair (The owner of the album) is a long time member here. Most, if not all these photo were shared on this forum and wiki at some point.

I have the book if you still need scans?

Just now, Cyrem said:

I have the book if you want actual scans?

I mean, if the book isn't on the Internet, it should be on the Internet, right? Do it if you feel like it, otherwise I'll probably just buy the book at some point :)

Just now, baraklava said:

I mean, if the book isn't on the Internet, it should be on the Internet, right? Do it if you feel like it, otherwise I'll probably just buy the book at some point :)

Ahh. Well that'd be up to the publisher, Dorling Kindersley.... and I don't think they care too much about digitizing their old books unfortunately.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

I worked on the Rock Raiders games and was given a model of the Chrome Crusher. It's clearly not a finished one as there are some differences (robot keyrings used as the minifigs weren't ready, the laser has no internal electronics). 

Also there is a label on the bottom of the model (maybe the builder/designer?)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xJRJ72KUCqCvUkLv5

7 hours ago, Xboxnang said:

Hi all,

I worked on the Rock Raiders games and was given a model of the Chrome Crusher. It's clearly not a finished one as there are some differences (robot keyrings used as the minifigs weren't ready, the laser has no internal electronics). 

Also there is a label on the bottom of the model (maybe the builder/designer?)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xJRJ72KUCqCvUkLv5

Hey there! The Chrome Crusher you posted looks like a late prototype model, the laser mold is different from the final set sold in stores. Thank you for the excellent photos. Do you have any more models like that? Would it be possible to show us the Ore/rock piece? Some early Ore prototypes had a different underside from what we got in the final sets.

Also, did I understand it correctly that you were a developer for the original 1999 Lego Rock Raiders game? If so, I would (and likely many others) be very interested in asking a few questions and if you have anything to share from the development of the game. We've had some developers stop by over the years, posting prototypes or early images/videos of the game, and it's always a delight to see!

2 hours ago, baraklava said:

Hey there! The Chrome Crusher you posted looks like a late prototype model, the laser mold is different from the final set sold in stores. Thank you for the excellent photos. Do you have any more models like that? Would it be possible to show us the Ore/rock piece? Some early Ore prototypes had a different underside from what we got in the final sets.

Also, did I understand it correctly that you were a developer for the original 1999 Lego Rock Raiders game? If so, I would (and likely many others) be very interested in asking a few questions and if you have anything to share from the development of the game. We've had some developers stop by over the years, posting prototypes or early images/videos of the game, and it's always a delight to see!

I've added a few pics to the shared link of the boulder as well as other sets I got while working on the game, unfortunately they were all general release. I also still have my personal Europe/US PlayStation discs. The big-box PC one is packed away somewhere.

I was the Lead Tester for LEGO on all 3 versions....if I can answer any questions I'd be happy to.

Robert

1 minute ago, Xboxnang said:

I've added a few pics to the shared link of the boulder as well as other sets I got while working on the game, unfortunately they were all general release. I also still have my personal Europe/US PlayStation discs. The big-box PC one is packed away somewhere.

I was the Tead Tester for LEGO on all 3 versions....if I can answer any questions I'd be happy to.

Hot damn, well you should know that that little boulder of yours is a prototype Ore piece, not sold in sets, and to my knowledge it is the only such piece known to exist! Previously we had only seen it on an image on the back of box 4930. As a reference, this is what the released Lego boulder piece looks like:

6704-src.jpg

So don't just sell it like any other set! Keep that piece safe, please.

As for questions, I think it might be a good idea if you start your own thread where you take questions, probably in this subforum. That way you can respond at your own pace to questions! I'll check in tomorrow with some questions of my own.

If you want to discuss the Ore piece you can send me a message, I can't seem to contact you.

20 minutes ago, baraklava said:

Hot damn, well you should know that that little boulder of yours is a prototype Ore piece, not sold in sets, and to my knowledge it is the only such piece known to exist! Previously we had only seen it on an image on the back of box 4930. As a reference, this is what the released Lego boulder piece looks like:

6704-src.jpg

So don't just sell it like any other set! Keep that piece safe, please.

As for questions, I think it might be a good idea if you start your own thread where you take questions, probably in this subforum. That way you can respond at your own pace to questions! I'll check in tomorrow with some questions of my own.

If you want to discuss the Ore piece you can send me a message, I can't seem to contact you.

I've started a thread in the forum for any questions. 

Interesting about the boulder, have never looked at the bottom of the others before to see the difference. 

No way I'd sell it anyway, I collect LEGO (mainly Star Wars) and these are just part of my display. 

1 minute ago, Xboxnang said:

I've started a thread in the forum for any questions. 

Interesting about the boulder, have never looked at the bottom of the others before to see the difference. 

No way I'd sell it anyway, I collect LEGO (mainly Star Wars) and these are just part of my display. 

Good to hear you are a Lego collector too! Be sure to put that boulder on a piedestal, it might be a one-of-a-kind item ;)  I'll post some questions in your question thread later!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.