What is the best OS apart from 95/98 to run LRR on?

fragilechaos

fragilechaos

Hello!

I’m trying to figure out what OS I last ran LRR on prior to Windows 10 that ran smoothly and happily let you use the likes of Cafeteria to use higher resolutions, maps and model replacements. 

At the moment I’m running Windows 10 and I’ve implemented the fix so that the game launches but the game runs approx 15fps with UI glitches and is unplayable. Instead of trying to fix it (if it’s going to involve massive amounts of fiddling) I’d rather look at the possibility of running an older OS on my machine from a separate HDD/SSD whilst avoiding buying a retro PC for gaming (last resort). 

Thanks for any help in advance!

Edited by fragilechaos
Tag

paperpanzer

Windows 7 32 bit should run LRR natively- not sure about 64 bit. Windows XP also runs LRR well.

I've run LRR on a Win 98, 2000, XP, 7 (32 bit), and now 10. 10 was the only one I had to do some fiddling to get LRR up and running. I should mention that LRR being what it is, I always had crashes and other issues no matter what I ran the game on.

WinXP runs LRR perfectly fine out of the box for me.  (Well, perfectly fine includes the usual LRR shenanigans: random crashes, stupid LRRs, loader dozers dying to landslides, Idleness Syndrome...) But I don't need to do any tweaking or installing stuff or just general shenanigans that you need to do on Win10.

However, it also runs pretty well on my Win10 rig: check this out. You should be able to get it running playably!

fragilechaos
On 3/20/2019 at 6:17 AM, Cyrem said:

Windows 7 I think runs it fine for most people. However, have you gone through this guide: https://www.rockraidersunited.com/guides/run-lego-rock-raiders-with-dgvoodoo-r7/ ?

I personally use windows 10.

Hey  Cyrem! 

I ended up getting it working via dgvoodoo whilst still being in Windows 10.

Been trying to get Cafeteria working in a copy of the game folder but it doesn't seem to be working in the slightest. Boots up the game and to the loading screen before the menu but then crashes out to the desktop. Before the game launches i keep getting an "unhandled exception" once it tries to launch the game from cafeteria.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.