Christchurch [Custom LRR Map]

aidenpons

For a first reference, see this. If that link doesn't lead anywhere immediate due to breaking over time, this is a roundabout way of telling you everything you need to no.

For a second reference, see this image of my own creation. I won't upload it to RRU: RRU is my happy place, and I don't want that image here. But you need to know.

(Yes, you also now know my country, university, and can take an educated guess at the place where I live: I don't care. You need to know).

Got that? Perhaps you now understand why I'm in tears as I type this post on my laptop. The closest dead was four degrees of freedom: a friend's friend's uncle, so I and the immediate people I care about are physically okay. Mentally: that'll take some time.

People cope differently at different times. For the first few days I made liberal use of Slime Rancher on the Free Games thread, being unable to have the mental facility to do anything else. University resumed on the Monday, but all assignments and tests were postponed: an extremely good move for them as I am, five days later, still not in a space to apply my mind to my degree.

I'm coping fine, in the circumstances: my state could hardly be called 'fine' but fine-ness is absolutely impossible at this juncture. If you were to imagine what "as good as you can be, in the circumstances" would be like, then I'm about half of that.

Thanks go out to those on the internet who have helped me: some on RRU, some not.

I got the idea three days later to make an LRR map about it. I knew that this idea simply wouldn't go away unless I did it: a creative outburst, of sorts. Or perhaps I'm deluding myself. Whatever: the map is created.

"We had just begin mining activities when disaster totally out of our control struck. A meteor crashed into Planet U not far from our underground base. It's flattened the land where it landed, but also sent ruptures throughout Planet U.

The rupture has caused a fountain of magma to splurt up from underneath our base, and the slugs are also fleeing. There's one good thing: we won't have problems with any Lava Monsters for the meantime, as they're all tunneling through the walls.

I'll brief you in the field to show you around: the game will start paused."

(Yes, there are typos in the uploaded ObjectiveText. I don't care)

large.MapScreenshot.png.ffd7e652f6a4e15035f12d47e8c149fa.png

Download here.

This map features the most complex NPL scripting as of time of writing. I successfully got the "arrow to continue" working, and the script is generally quite huge (mostly introduction stuff). Also contains about 23 messages, most of which I just pointed to the Moving Rock Raider Vehicles tutorial. There are a couple of minor shenanigans which I need to iron out with the NERPs but they're so minor you probably won't even notice they're there!

It also features one of the best slug scripts to date: ordering to place a fence spits out slugs equal to the number of times you've clicked to place fences (which includes misclicks, clicks when the fence can't be placed, and does not account for fences teleported up) : yes, you'll be needing fences a little later in this scenario.

The level was balanced for vanilla LRR, so using mods that significantly alter drilling dynamics and move speed may change the difficulty of the level.

There is also a cheat cavern in the far north: use numDEL to delete a wall between the two inaccessible recharge seams and you'll have enough to continue the mission. You can use this if you deem it necessary, Remember that the glimmer of recharge seams shows above the wall, so you can tell where they are even if you don't have any scan information (see Rocky Horror for a vanilla example of this).

(I mention this or else someone would ask "What's in that cavern and why are there two inaccessible recharge seams?")

Oh, and one more thing: as tempting as it is to teleport up all your buildings during the initial phase, I would recommend against this as doing so seems to cause a significant amount of Idleness Syndrome. In any case, you'll be unable to pick up much ore anyway.

Press F to pay respects to the slugs that spawn at the start of the level

Edited by aidenpons

This is chaos.  My base was gone in under a minute!

I haven't won this yet, but nice job on the messages. I don't get the arrow though which is strange. The other thing is, after going through all the tutorial messages, the game speed was set to minimum, not sure if this is intentional?

4 hours ago, Cyrem said:

The other thing is, after going through all the tutorial messages, the game speed was set to minimum, not sure if this is intentional?

This is entirely intentional. You're not supposed to play the initial section at any higher than 40% speed as doing so is just blatantly impossible :P You have that time to carefully manouver units around (your Loader Dozers in particular need a lot of babysitting), manage what you want to do with your spare vehicles, and generally intensify the micromanagement.

(Game speed is modifiable with NERPS, just so you know)

I could have perhaps made the initial objective a little clearer: abandon your base and find the safe cavern. Chief will give you a message when you find it. No messages = keep running :P

I don't get the arrow though which is strange.

As in the arrow shown in the screenshot, the "click this message to continue?" That's really strange :S Did the 'intro scene' still work fine or did you have to edit the NERPs?

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I need try it , for the moment just Translate in french , but it's look like a "hell level"

Edit: i test it and it's a realy good level , it's hard to save lot of Raiders for going to the safe cavern and i see the .npl , very good work , you are a Master of Script ?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.