Runs bad and in Danish

Cid SilverWing

Cid SilverWing

I have the Norwegian DRM'd copy of LRR and while I successfully installed and got it to run with the 3rd party installer (I wanted to check out the English version), for whatever reason the speech was in Danish and it runs like garbage on my Win10 PC. The main menu transitions don't render correctly and it is painfully slow, choppy and unresponsive.

I don't know where to even begin diagnosing this :c

4 minutes ago, Cid SilverWing said:

Followed the instructions, but now the game won't start. D:

Thats odd, since no part of the instructions should do that, infact, it fixes games that don't start because of having DRM like yours. You'd be the first person to have that happen, are you sure you followed every instruction exactly?

Cid SilverWing

Issue resolved, I was dumb, but now there's the issue of the movies and soundtrack (even atmosdel at main menu and stats) not playing.

14 minutes ago, Cid SilverWing said:

Issue resolved, I was dumb, but now there's the issue of the movies and soundtrack (even atmosdel at main menu) not playing.

I assumed these all worked prior? I'm suprised these stopped working even though the CD is in.

Fix Music with: https://www.rockraidersunited.com/files/dl-r258/

Fix Movies with: https://www.rockraidersunited.com/files/dl-r296/

Cid SilverWing

They did in my last replay of the Norwegian version some years ago, but that was on Windows 7 which I didn't need to hack together to get running (somehow).

All the files are in there though... The music fix also doesn't seem to include atmosdel.wav or stats.wav.

14 minutes ago, Cid SilverWing said:

They did in my last replay of the Norwegian version some years ago, but that was on Windows 7 which I didn't need to hack together to get running (somehow).

Microsoft removed support for safedisc, which broke all DRM LRR games, if you used the latest version of Win 7 now, it will also not work. You're not exactly hacking it together, you're actually making the game run without the need for a disc. The music fix, removes the need of a disc for music while improving the music playback (the music is now played randomly unlike before which played the same order everytime) and OGG support is added. dgvoodoo on the other hand gives support for Directx6 on modern systems.

Regarding those other files not working, I believe it's the same issue as this recent post. I've posted how to fix it in this topic:

https://www.rockraidersunited.com/topic/8468-mission-briefing-chief-voice-missing/

Cid SilverWing

I'm currently on Windows 10, and Chief's briefings play fine on this English version, haven't tried the Norwegian disc yet.

I'm generally rather confused.... :S

Do you have two LRR disks - one Norwegian, one English - or just two installations of LRR, one which installed in English some time ago and one which installed in Norwegian now? Which language are you trying to run the game in? (or is the answer 'both, I want an installation in either language')

What is the size of LegoRR.icd ? (for both disks, if you have them) This file should be sitting next to LegoRR.exe .

Is LRR actually running playably? It was lagging to bits when you started this topic: have you tried the dgVoodoo fix (post #2) and, if so, has that gotten rid of the lag? (Other lighting issues and lag issues may also pop up, but the game should be playable)

Alternatively, or at the same time, running LRR in windowed mode may also be a good idea. (You can use dgVoodoo and windowed mode at the same time)

Is the music playing or not? If not, you can install the music fix or just throw the music files into VLC Media Player in the background.

When you mention that you previously had something else functional, as Cyrem pointed out things have changed since then. How much of the stuff that you mention happening is from some years ago, and how much is now? For the purposes of troubleshooting it may be useful to totally ignore the stuff that was happening in the past and solely focus on what you have now.

Cid SilverWing

To clarify:

I have a physical copy of the Norwegian version (backed up with PowerISO), which I haven't tried with the alternate installer or anything as of yet. The Norwegian LegoRR.icd file is listed as 0kb, which is strange...

I'm currently able to play this pirated (blergh) copy of the English version, which thanks to the dgVoodoo and all that, is fully playable and with no serious issues besides the movies and soundtrack not playing despite being present in the directory, but all the advisor voices play just fine. The English LegoRR.icd is listed as 720kb.

I'm a bit confused about the soundtrack fix though. As I said the relevant media is all in the directory but aren't accessed correctly, and the fix doesn't include the stats.wav or atmosdel.wav files which would be nice to restore.

In the interest of full disclosure, back when I ran Windows 7 (now Windows 10), the Norwegian version ran perfectly as-is, even with the janky alt-tabbing which I now notice dgVoodoo makes it so I can tab out and chat to people, even if getting back in can prove a bit touch-and-go.

Edit: I just now tried to install the Norwegian version in a separate directory, same result as before. Norwegian texts, Danish speech.

For information: A 0kb icd file means it has no protection. If it's anything higher than 0, then it has protection.

Cid SilverWing
3 minutes ago, mumboking said:

For information: A 0kb icd file means it has no protection. If it's anything higher than 0, then it has protection.

In that case, I seem to have the DRM-free variant of the Norwegian version. I had the DRM variant but I somehow lost it somewhere and had to buy a new copy.

I uploaded an English Language pack:

This contains the sounds, the names, and the level briefing text. I'm not sure if it'll actually work properly with a non-English installation but hopefully it should.

Download that, unzip, and just overwrite the existing Data folder and LegoRR1.wad with that: that is, overwrite your Norwegian installation with it (the non-pirated one). Let me know if this works! The rest of this post is just commenting on other stuff.

I have a physical copy of the Norwegian version (backed up with PowerISO), which I haven't tried with the alternate installer or anything as of yet. The Norwegian LegoRR.icd file is listed as 0kb, which is strange...

Great! That means that it's not copy protected and will run normally! Even if in the wrong language and very laggy :P

I'm currently able to play this pirated (blergh) copy of the English version, which thanks to the dgVoodoo and all that, is fully playable and with no serious issues besides the movies and soundtrack not playing despite being present in the directory, but all the advisor voices play just fine. The English LegoRR.icd is listed as 720kb.

That's really strange: it shouldn't run at all because it's copy-protected. Evidently that's been cracked. It's unneeded though, as your Norwegian version has no copy protection whatsoever :P

I'm a bit confused about the soundtrack fix though. As I said the relevant media is all in the directory but aren't accessed correctly, and the fix doesn't include the stats.wav or atmosdel.wav files which would be nice to restore.

To be perfectly honest, I blame that it's pirated: it will have stuffed up the disk checks which are related to the music. I have no experience with pirated games so I couldn't say much more than that.

In the interest of full disclosure, back when I ran Windows 7 (now Windows 10), the Norwegian version ran perfectly as-is, even with the janky alt-tabbing which I now notice dgVoodoo makes it so I can tab out and chat to people, even if getting back in can prove a bit touch-and-go.

Yup: LRR will usually run off the bat unless it complains it can't find d3drm.dll . In what state it runs is a different matter... :P

Also, Windowed Mode will mean you don't need to alt+tab out of the game!

Cid SilverWing

After applying the same fixes to the Norwegian version as the English, I can get it running, but it's still in Danish. I suspect the installer defaults to the first alphabetical language choice, and since D comes before N...

9 hours ago, Cid SilverWing said:

After applying the same fixes to the Norwegian version as the English, I can get it running, but it's still in Danish. I suspect the installer defaults to the first alphabetical language choice, and since D comes before N...

Great, the Norwegian version is running, huzzah! With or without music and cutscenes?

As for the language, did you install this, which I posted above, onto the Norwegian version? Just download, unzip, and copy the files over (overwrite where needed).

I see no possible way in which you overwrite the Data\Sounds folder and Lego.cfg (which is hiding in LegoRR1.wad) and the game still remains in Danish!

Cid SilverWing
6 minutes ago, aidenpons said:

Great, the Norwegian version is running, huzzah! With or without music and cutscenes?

As for the language, did you install this, which I posted above, onto the Norwegian version? Just download, unzip, and copy the files over (overwrite where needed).

I see no possible way in which you overwrite the Data\Sounds folder and Lego.cfg (which is hiding in LegoRR1.wad) and the game still remains in Danish!

Well I'm not trying to patch the Norwegian version into English, I'm trying to patch the Danish speech back to Norwegian, but since the alternate installer keeps picking the Danish voice lines and I can't access the .cab file on the .iso to do it manually, I don't know how to fix this.

6 minutes ago, Cid SilverWing said:

Well I'm not trying to patch the Norwegian version into English, I'm trying to patch the Danish speech back to Norwegian,

Ah, oops, you should have said!

but since the alternate installer keeps picking the Danish voice lines and I can't access the .cab file on the .iso to do it manually, I don't know how to fix this.

If you still have the physical copy, and a CD drive to read it with, you should be able to just "Explore" (or "Open) (in the right-click CD drive on My Computer) the disk. There you should be able to find the .cab file (or a bunch of .cab files!) and open it with Universal Extractor, though I recall this wasn't a pain-free process when I tried.

Cid SilverWing

Universal Extractor failed with an error:

"data1.cab could not be extracted.

It appears to be a(n) InstallShield CAB archive, which is supported, but extraction failed."

This after I copied the .cab file to my D:\-drive to use it.

11 hours ago, Cid SilverWing said:

Universal Extractor failed with an error:

"data1.cab could not be extracted.

It appears to be a(n) InstallShield CAB archive, which is supported, but extraction failed."

This after I copied the .cab file to my D:\-drive to use it.

Point it to data1.hdr, not data1.cab . That should do what we want... I think.

Failing that, point it at all the files and see what it does :P

Cid SilverWing

.hdr files are altogether unsupported by it.

I'm losing hope now. The regular installers refuse to run in Win10 due to a false "insufficient memory" error. None of the compatibility choices resolve this one.

3 minutes ago, Cid SilverWing said:

The regular installers refuse to run in Win10 due to a false "insufficient memory" error.

Yeah, they'll do that, as they're 16-bit which isn't supported at all.

Try the version of Universal Extractor we uploaded here: I may recall from long ago that the one on RRU was able to extract some of the files that the Google'd one otherwise couldn't.

I've got my disk in my own computer and am poking files with that to see what I can do. I'll let you know how I get on!

lol username
5 minutes ago, Cid SilverWing said:

.hdr files are altogether unsupported by it.

I'm losing hope now. The regular installers refuse to run in Win10 due to a false "insufficient memory" error. None of the compatibility choices resolve this one.

LEGO Racers 2's installer has the same problem, I first got around it in like 2009ish by following another RRU member's instructions on Skype to temporarily disable some of my laptop's RAM without actually physically removing it.

Then we discovered that compatibility mode fixes it. Oops.

BUT, since compatibility mode apparently doesn't work in this case... Maybe that could be a working (albeit silly) solution, ahaha.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.