Runs bad and in Danish

Cid SilverWing

14 minutes ago, jamesster said:

LEGO Racers 2's installer has the same problem, I first got around it in like 2009ish by following another RRU member's instructions on Skype to temporarily disable some of my laptop's RAM without actually physically removing it.

Then we discovered that compatibility mode fixes it. Oops.

BUT, since compatibility mode apparently doesn't work in this case... Maybe that could be a working (albeit silly) solution, ahaha.

Mmm, I think they're different types of installers entirely: see le717's comments in his alternate installers thread: the translation for 64-bit commands to 32-bit commands to 16-bit commands just breaks the installers for LRR. But that's not a problem for LR2 as that wasn't designed for 16-bit. 

(double post, yes, but I wanted @Cid SilverWing to get the notification; you can probably merge these two later) EDIT: RRU auto-merges posts now! Nice!

Some poking .cab files later, you need to point Univeral Extractor to data1.cab . If it initially throws a hissy fit, point Universal Extractor at it again and it should extract. You can have multiple instances of Universal Extractor running at once: so perhaps to be safe, point another instance to data1.hdr .

It should extract a bunch of stuff. What I suspect will happen is that there won't be any Danish sound files on the disk anyway. But at least in doing this we can conclusively rule that this is indeed the case. My version only has English.

There are multi-language versions on one disc, I've had one before but I've lost it and thus can't write a proper guide on the extraction.

Now the issue is, you have multiple language files, but they have the same folder tree, but stored under different language ID's. Now when UniExtract extracts them, it doesn't care that it's multi-language, it just extracts them all, which means every next language overwrites the previous.

What has to be done for this to work is specifically targeting a single language to extract. I've done this before, so it's entirely possible.

Cid SilverWing
1 hour ago, aidenpons said:

Some poking .cab files later, you need to point Univeral Extractor to data1.cab . If it initially throws a hissy fit, point Universal Extractor at it again and it should extract. You can have multiple instances of Universal Extractor running at once: so perhaps to be safe, point another instance to data1.hdr .

It should extract a bunch of stuff. What I suspect will happen is that there won't be any Danish sound files on the disk anyway. But at least in doing this we can conclusively rule that this is indeed the case. My version only has English.

Tried multiple times with one instance only, it's no good. It simply won't touch any of the .cab files.

Cid SilverWing

After some more experimenting, I found an anomaly.

By running Windows XP 32-bit in the Oracle VM VirtualBox, the Norwegian version (and so presumably any version) correctly plays the cutscenes and audio since the installer works in the virtual environment. Still runs like garbage though, and now I'm unable to get the Voodoo2 thing right, it appears unable to detect the virtual video driver and no options are given.

Screenshot https://www.dropbox.com/s/xjopl1nxa2ygznz/Voodoo.png?dl=0

BIG EDIT: Ok so finally I found a hackish solution. By using the bidirectional file sharing function of the Virtual Machine, I was able to simply copypaste the Norwegian audio to replace the Danish. But this means I can't use anything that tweaks the .wad since that's where both the language text and game parameters are stored.

9 hours ago, Cid SilverWing said:

After some more experimenting, I found an anomaly.

By running Windows XP 32-bit in the Oracle VM VirtualBox, the Norwegian version (and so presumably any version) correctly plays the cutscenes and audio since the installer works in the virtual environment. Still runs like garbage though, and now I'm unable to get the Voodoo2 thing right, it appears unable to detect the virtual video driver and no options are given. 

Screenshot https://www.dropbox.com/s/xjopl1nxa2ygznz/Voodoo.png?dl=0

BIG EDIT: Ok so finally I found a hackish solution. By using the bidirectional file sharing function of the Virtual Machine, I was able to simply copypaste the Norwegian audio to replace the Danish. But this means I can't use anything that tweaks the .wad since that's where both the language text and game parameters are stored.

So now outside your VM, on Win10, you now have the Norwegian audio, as you want? Hooray! What problems remain with running it in Win10 (if any?) Sorry, I'm a little lost in this topic...

- If it's laggy as heck, hook up the dgVoodoo trick and also run it in windowed mode

- If the cutscenes aren't playing, copy them off the disk (Data\AVI, just copy the entire folder across)

What type of .wad modifications do you need to make? You can always make them yourself manually using the Wad Recycler, but I don't recall anything in this topic that required you to edit the files in the .wads.

Cid SilverWing

The problems remain as before - in Win10 the "streaming" audio and cutscenes won't play despite being present in the directory, thus the problem isn't they're missing, they just aren't loading or playing (and bizarrely won't play even in VLC Media Player as is, when I could swear I was able to play them in Windows Media Player back in the XP days). This results in the game appearing to freeze for a few seconds as it tries to load the cutscenes before each mission, but then skips straight to loading the missions.

As for the dgVoodoo trick, I'm able to use that in Win10, but in the VirtualMachine environment it won't detect any video cards, which prevents me from running the game altogether (see the attached screenshot).

The .wad modification is this one.

Unfortunately the included .wad is in English, which would replace the Norwegian text. This means that for me to use this mod with the Norwegian version, I would have to forward my Norwegian .wad to ZuTheSkunk who would then have to repeat the modifications and send it back.

Cid SilverWing

ISSUE RESOLVED:

It's that third-party installer that's behind this. It doesn't extract the audio and cutscene files correctly, it somehow corrupts them or something along the way. Trying to play them stand-alone in Win10 I'm met with silence or force-importing them in Cool Edit produces noise. Manually copy-pasting the relevant media from my .iso fixes it.

Though the game still won't read the CD audio tracks even from the .iso.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.