Kid's Craze Disc?

Jabrontelle

I found my childhood copy of Rock Raiders but it's a different copy than the self produced one from Lego. It came on a yellow disc from Kid's Craze and I'm having difficulties making it run. Anyone seen this before?

14 minutes ago, Jabrontelle said:

I found my childhood copy of Rock Raiders but it's a different copy than the self produced one from Lego. It came on a yellow disc from Kid's Craze and I'm having difficulties making it run. Anyone seen this before?

Not the Kid's Craze disk, but difficulties with getting it to run are normal :P

1) What OS are you on?

2) Does the game install properly?

3) What size is LegoRR.icd?

1 hour ago, aidenpons said:

Not the Kid's Craze disk, but difficulties with getting it to run are normal :P

1) What OS are you on?

2) Does the game install properly?

3) What size is LegoRR.icd?

I'm running Windows 10

The game seems to run directly from the disc rather than installing.

The LegoRR.icd is 0kb

I haven't heard of this copy before, do have some pictures of the disc you could share?

Regarding the running of the game, happens after attempting to run the game?

I have that version myself. One nice thing with it was because it's not an "official" Lego release, it doesn't have the typical copy protection. (At least mine didn't) These repackagings were sold by Encore through the early 2000's along with demo versions of their "fish tank" screensavers. This version also has it's own launcher. My box was bundled with LRR, Lego Loco, and Lego Island Xtreme Stunts. I never got Island to work, although I did get Loco to run- but they weren't really up my street anyways. The one that got me hooked was LRR

LRR was installed in two versions with this disc- "standard" and "enhanced". "Standard" had fewer sounds and no voice-overs save for chief, while "Enhanced" had all the bells and whistles. You could run the game without the disc- though none of the pre-rendered movies would play. My copy also never played music.

I got my copy working with Cyrem's DGVoodoo method. 

Just some fiddling with the emulator settings got everything sorted- although it will still crash on occasion.

I don't have the ability to take any pictures ATM- yellow discs in those cheesy paper sleeves and a big yellow box with an embossed front-folding lid. I didn't save my box- and I only have the LRR disc left in a aftermarket jewel case.

9 hours ago, paperpanzer said:
10 hours ago, Cyrem said:

I haven't heard of this copy before, do have some pictures of the disc you could share?

Regarding the running of the game, happens after attempting to run the game?

uc?export=download&id=1kIwldADqhuqW_Z1aH

10 hours ago, paperpanzer said:

I have that version myself. One nice thing with it was because it's not an "official" Lego release, it doesn't have the typical copy protection. (At least mine didn't) These repackagings were sold by Encore through the early 2000's along with demo versions of their "fish tank" screensavers. This version also has it's own launcher. My box was bundled with LRR, Lego Loco, and Lego Island Xtreme Stunts. I never got Island to work, although I did get Loco to run- but they weren't really up my street anyways. The one that got me hooked was LRR

LRR was installed in two versions with this disc- "standard" and "enhanced". "Standard" had fewer sounds and no voice-overs save for chief, while "Enhanced" had all the bells and whistles. You could run the game without the disc- though none of the pre-rendered movies would play. My copy also never played music.

Just some fiddling with the emulator settings got everything sorted- although it will still crash on occasion.

I don't have the ability to take any pictures ATM- yellow discs in those cheesy paper sleeves and a big yellow box with an embossed front-folding lid. I didn't save my box- and I only have the LRR disc left in a aftermarket jewel case.

Did you get your version to run off of the disk? or did you install elsewhere? That's what I'm struggling with currently because the game does not like to run off of the Kid's Craze launcher.

3 hours ago, Jabrontelle said:

Did you get your version to run off of the disk? or did you install elsewhere? That's what I'm struggling with currently because the game does not like to run off of the Kid's Craze launcher.

You should be able to fish the data files off the disk. If nothing else, just copy and paste files over: LRR needs very little in the way of "installation," it just needs files.

This thread has another alternate install method:

Le717 also created an alternate installer, but it's less likely it'll work: https://github.com/le717/Rock-Raiders-Alternate-Installer/

Once you've got the files off the disk, you should be able to get it working with dgVoodoo, which somebody linked above.

19 minutes ago, aidenpons said:

You should be able to fish the data files off the disk. If nothing else, just copy and paste files over: LRR needs very little in the way of "installation," it just needs files.

This thread has another alternate install method:

Le717 also created an alternate installer, but it's less likely it'll work: https://github.com/le717/Rock-Raiders-Alternate-Installer/

Once you've got the files off the disk, you should be able to get it working with dgVoodoo, which somebody linked above.

What files are the necessary files for the game? I grabbed the EXE folder, the Data folder, and the d3drm.dll. Are any others necessary? And if so which?

14 hours ago, paperpanzer said:

@paperpanzerHow did you go about installing the game from this disc? Did you just extract the files by copy pasting? That's what I went for but it seems a little messy and doesn't match most of the animations from @Cyrem's dgVoodoo guide.

2 hours ago, Jabrontelle said:

What files are the necessary files for the game? I grabbed the EXE folder, the Data folder, and the d3drm.dll. Are any others necessary? And if so which?

You'll also need LegoRR0.wad and LegoRR1.wad . However those are probably hiding inside something like data.cab; the guide I linked above should tutor you through what you need. Just follow the guide!

• 1 month later...
paperpanzer
On 2/24/2019 at 12:25 PM, Jabrontelle said:

@paperpanzerHow did you go about installing the game from this disc? Did you just extract the files by copy pasting? That's what I went for but it seems a little messy and doesn't match most of the animations from @Cyrem's dgVoodoo guide.

I just installed normally through Encore's installer. When that was finished I used Cyrem's method to the letter- just locate where LRR's install folder went. Part of Cyrem's process is a seperate .exe file that you can run LRR from w/out the disk whatsoever. In my case I just run any music I want on Itunes at the same time. Ignore the launchers that the Encore version throws at you. Cyrem's launcher is the only one you should be using.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.