Maze

aidenpons

More of an NPL experiment than a truly playable custom level, I present to you this:

Stay on the paths and the next one lights up ahead of you. Step off the paths and you lose.

(Why is everything looking non-LRR-y? I'm running Time Raiders, partly to show it off :P )

I haven't bothered to tidy everything into a plug-n-chug format but everything is indeed usable right here, if you want it (should run fine on vanilla LRR).

The interesting bit is of course the NPL and tutorial block map. The tutorial block map has the LRR at 19 and counts down to 1 on the tuto block in front of the Command Ship. The NPL is put in a spoiler here:

Spoiler

GetObjectiveShowing = 1 ? SetTutorialBlockIsPath 19
GetObjectiveShowing = 1 ? Stop
; you need that =1 or else stupid stuff ALWAYS happens

GetR4 = 3 ? SetR4 0

; starting from 19, loop through all blocks, to find which one the raider is on
TRUE ? SetR1 19
Loop:

GetUnitAtBlock GetR1 ? :OutOfLoop
TRUE ? SubR1 1
GetR1 = 0 ? :MissionFailed

TRUE ? :Loop

Stop

OutOfLoop:

GetR1 = 1 ? SetLevelCompleted
GetR1 = 1 ? Stop
; so we know R1 is the tutorial block that the LRR is at
; now we need to make THREE tutorial blocks

; actually.... no, just one

TRUE ? SetR2 GetR1
TRUE ? SubR2 1
; block ahead

TRUE ? SetR3 GetR1
TRUE ? AddR3 1
; block behind

TRUE ? SetTutorialBlockIsPath GetR2
Stop

Stop
MissionFailed:
TRUE ? SetRockMonsterAtTutorial 20
TRUE ? SetLevelFail

The interesting bit is the usage of a loop to find which tile the LRR is at. Then just subtract one from that and put a power path down on the next tile. If it couldn't find the LRR on any tutorial tile, fail the level and send monsters out.

One would suppose that if I were to put the lines

TRUE ? SetTutorialBlockIsPath GetR1

TRUE ? SetTutorialBlockIsPath GetR3

next to the other

TRUE ? SetTutorialBlockIsPath GetR2

the game would work flawlessly, making power paths ahead, on the raider, and behind. Except it doesn't, and won't do what you want at all, spawning no power paths instead of three. My theory so far is that when the game sees a SetTutorialBlockIsPath command it will no longer execute any more SetTutorialBlockIsPath commands for that run of the NPL. This isn't the first instance of the NPL playing up, and I've noticed that re-ordering lines will actually change the outcome (even if all you switched was TRUE ? AddR1 1 and TRUE ? GenerateSlug).

I have two further comments to make:

1) Perhaps this would be more playable and more fun if the game didn't point out where the next Power Path was, and you had to get it by trial and error. :P That's easy to do; on the SetTutorialBlockIsPath line change GetR2 to GetR1. However, this also might be incredibly trolling... :P

2) Why is the maze so short, I hear you ask? With @Cyrem's map creator there's an arbitary limit of 20 tutorial blocks :( (Thank you so much for your utility Cyrem! Nothing would be possible without it!) Is there any chance this could be... increased? :P

• Like 3

Very creative! Yep it can be increased (and is in the next version). Maybe use MapTool in the meantime.

Actually if you change it to not reveal the path next, you've got yourself a minefield minigame. Change the floor to lava and you got.... ;)

6 hours ago, Cyrem said:

Very creative! Yep it can be increased (and is in the next version). Maybe use MapTool in the meantime.

Actually if you change it to not reveal the path next, you've got yourself a minefield minigame. Change the floor to lava and you got.... ;)

Mix in eroding lava somehow and you've got something straight out of my childhood nightmares :D

On 2/8/2019 at 6:44 PM, jamesster said:

Mix in eroding lava somehow and you've got something straight out of my childhood nightmares :D

This is definitely possible, and I'm thinking up a method in which this can be done. :smug: On stepping on tuto block 1, demolish tuto block 2, which if erode times are all set to 1 (can I do it any speedier?) will send a stream of lava your way... and then navigate the resulting maze. 

Well, while fiddling around with NPL scripting, not only have I discovered that reordering some lines seems to prevent the game from running its .npl (more on this when I can replicate it). I've also managed to crash it in a vast number of interesting ways:

WELCOME BACK CADET, IT'S TIME FOR YOU TO LEARN

(this wasn't endless, the game crashed to desktop at the end of this clip)

• 2 years later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.