Forced Map Move Glitch

IncredulousPasserby

IncredulousPasserby

Hullo! Thanks for putting this site together - it's been my dream for years to finally beat this game and now I can. Well, maybe.

So, I've got Rock Raiders running. Everything works beautifully until the game forces the map to move. For instance, in the very first tutorial, when the game focuses on one of the running rock raiders, where the map is (the cavern, the raiders, etc) goes black and nothing I do will change that. The sound keeps playing and the UI remains interactive, so I can continue the tutorial until it requires me to select a rock raider. The same thing happens in the very first mission, when the rock raiders break through to the mini base and the game would focus you on the buildings. Even there, with full controls, I'm unable to get the map to move. The yellow button doesn't refocus me, and when I look at the radar in the upper left, it doesn't show the white box representing the camera at all. I also can't move the camera using the radar or the arrow keys. 

Specs: Windows 10. I've tried compatibility mode for Win XP SP2 and Win 98 - oddly, Win 98 is glitched to unresponsiveness, so I'm either using Win XP or native. I'm running the game as an administrator, I've tried with and without 16 bit colors, and with and without 640x480 resolution  I'm using dgVoodoo, and I've got the settings as recommended by Cyrem. I'm using an original 1999 disk, that I only got to work by using the method found on pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Lego_Rock_Raiders. Just using dgVoodoo did not do the trick. It's very possible that a file is corrupted somewhere, either because of this or on my disk, but I was hoping someone has seen something along these lines and can provide me with a fix short of finding an ISO and putzing around with that. Thanks!

Hey welcome, glad you got it running.

I've experienced this before, if I recall correctly, enabling V-Sync resolved it for me. It's a setting in the dgvoodoo configuration app under 'DirectX'. Give that a go and tell me how it affects the game.

P.S Most of that info on PCGW for LRR fixes came from here.

IncredulousPasserby

It appears to be better. I'm able to make it through the first mission without issue, and the second mission also had no problems. The tutorial still did, annoyingly enough, so it may not be wholly fixed, but the game seems playable. Thanks!

2 hours ago, IncredulousPasserby said:

It appears to be better. I'm able to make it through the first mission without issue, and the second mission also had no problems. The tutorial still did, annoyingly enough, so it may not be wholly fixed, but the game seems playable. Thanks!

You  could also try the " -fpslock" LRR parameter, it's meant to do the same thing... however LRR will do it instead of dgVoodoo, which may make a difference. Just create a shortcut to the LegoRR.exe and in the shortcut's poperties add "-fpslock" to the end of the target field. There are others you might like to play with as well.

1 hour ago, aidenpons said:

Try windowed mode as well? Should be just a click on the Mode Selection Screen from LRR itself, not in dgVoodoo's settings.

This occurs in both modes, It's like the camera goes out of range as everything still works, even the radar panel shows you RR's running around.

IncredulousPasserby

Cyrem’s thought on what it might be makes sense, given what I saw. Also, windowed mode wasn’t really an option, due to the settings I used to make it run.

Of course, now the game’s crashing on Frozen Frenzy, and the fix in the other thread about that crash isn’t working, so.....that’s another day, I guess. 

• 1 year later...

For the glitch that occurs when the camera automatically moves, I found an odd work around. First, I enabled VSync as Cyrem suggested. I then ran it in windowed mode. These didn't do the trick by themselves. However, if I simply waited until all the tutorial instructions had been completed and the game was waiting for me, it did not glitch when the camera automically moved. No clue why this worked, but it did, even on the first tutorial level.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.