LEGO Racers 2019 Collection

RacerRabbit

The following creations were built to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the 1999 Lego Racers computer game.

Pieces new and old have come together to form these newly revised versions of the 8 boss cars.

Please enjoy!

1) Captain Redbeard

1547152688m_SPLASH.jpg

As you can see, Captain Redbeard's new ride uses the microbuild of his ship from set #40290 as a base fo this off-road beast of a racer. But it still retains the large exhausts and rear mounted pirate flag from his original car. The sails make this the tallest vehicle in the collection so far.

15471526891_SPLASH.jpg.

15471526893_SPLASH.jpg

15471526904_SPLASH.jpg

15471526905_SPLASH.jpg

2) King Kahuka

1547154140m_SPLASH.jpg

King Kahuka's new ride is an improvement over the original. The wheels in the game's intro are yellow while in-game, they're white so the wheels on this new version is both yellow and white. The car retains such details as the spears on the front, the horns on the front and of course, the stone head motif on the back. With added exhaust pipes and a "Bone Bumper" on the front.

15471541401_SPLASH.jpg

15471541413_SPLASH.jpg

15471541414_SPLASH.jpg

15471541415_SPLASH.jpg

3) Basil The Batlord

1547154567m_SPLASH.jpg

Basil's new ride is a much more powerful looking version of his old car with a larger than life engine. I even used some older Technic wheels on the back. They were looking kinda redundant in my collection and I thought they matched the front wheels nicely so I put them to use. I also really wanted to use these dragon wing pieces on this car and I thought the rear spoiler was the perfect use for them.  The old black jet engine piece has been extended by 2 grooved 2x2 round cylinder bricks.

15471545671_SPLASH.jpg

15471545673_SPLASH.jpg

15471545684_SPLASH.jpg

15471545685_SPLASH.jpg

4) Johnny Thunder

1547155072m_SPLASH.jpg

A major improvement over the original. Making good use of new mudguards and Speed Champions wheels. Includes the old Adventurers printed numberplate piece on both the front and rear. Those jet exhausts make this thing look mighty. And this isn't the only car in the collection to use them. Even the front makes the car look chunky and rugged. Also includes indicators. As if you need them on the racetrack....

15471550721_SPLASH.jpg

15471550733_SPLASH.jpg

15471550734_SPLASH.jpg

15471550745_SPLASH.jpg

5) Baron Von Barron

1547155481m_SPLASH.jpg

Now, this one is completely different from the large jeep he drives in the first game. Instead, Baron Von Barron's new racer takes inspiration from set #5920 Island Racer that the Baron drives in the 2nd game and an old fighter plane. The plane inspiration continues around the back. And look at those exhausts...  The propeller is powered by the engine but luckily, the car doesn't take off. That'd result in instant disqualification!

15471554811_SPLASH.jpg

15471554823_SPLASH.jpg

15471554824_SPLASH.jpg

15471554835_SPLASH.jpg

6) Gypsy Moth

1547155934m_SPLASH.jpg

The veteran pilot of the alien Insectoids gets a truly outrageous car inspired by the Insectoids theme itself. With 6 wheels, pincers at the front and a cybernetic abdomen, Gypsy Moth's new racer looks more like an ant than a car. And still has the exhaust at the back like the original car.

15471559341_SPLASH.jpg

15471559353_SPLASH.jpg

15471559354_SPLASH.jpg

15471559355_SPLASH.jpg

7) Rocket Racer

1547156385m_SPLASH.jpg

Rocket Racer's revamped car is a brilliant new design that echoes the original. Speed Champions wheels and a slighlty forward leaning stance makes this supercar sleek and eye-catching. The windshield is on 4 jumper plates to make sure it doesn't look too far forward or back.

15471563851_SPLASH.jpg

15471563863_SPLASH.jpg

15471563864_SPLASH.jpg

15471563875_SPLASH.jpg

Also notice that the Rocket Racer minifigure is custom printed by Minifigs.me. It may have cost a packet but boy, the fit and finish is superb!

? Veronica Voltage

1547156900m_SPLASH.jpg

Veronica Voltage's new car is basically a big improvement over the original. Much smoother than the old car. Also, exhaust pipes. For aggression. The wide tyres complete the look of the rear. The front headlights on the original are made up of rare chrome silver pieces. This new one uses a much easier and cost efficient method.

15471569001_SPLASH.jpg

15471569013_SPLASH.jpg

15471569014_SPLASH.jpg

15471569015_SPLASH.jpg

Like Rocket Racer, Veronica Voltage is a custom printed minifigure courtesy of Minifigs.me.

So, what do you guys think of this lot?

MineTimelapser

Nice job! I like that you exaggerated some of the car’s features fitting the characters & still keeping true to the originals.

Where is the "shut up and take my money" emote when I see one.

EDIT:  If there one request I would like to see, RacerRabbit. Can you place all your cars in one picture? I would appreciate it. ?

Quisoves Potoo

Not at all bad...

The only one I'm not keen on is Johnny Thunder's: It looks cheap and crass, like a marketing executive's attempt at a redesign, in contrast to the other, exceedingly charming reimaginings.

These MOCs are fantastic!

I love the updated designs and I like the new vehicle designs you made from scratch...

...that said, I do have one minor gripe (you don't have to fix it, it's just my personal opinion): As much as I love the idea behind Baron Von Barron's car, I'm not a fan of the colour palette. For me, there's just too much red (like, 90% of the car is bright red).

You said that part of the inspiration behind the car was LEGO set #5920. Well, I looked up some images of the set and half of the vehicle is grey/black to balance out the vibrant red colour (which works well and it is much easier on the eyes). Again, just my personal opinion.

Other than that, these redesigns are incredible!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ben24x7 said:

You said that part of the inspiration behind the car was LEGO set #5920. Well, I looked up some images of the set and half of the vehicle is grey/black to balance out the vibrant red colour (which works well and it is much easier on the eyes). Again, just my personal opinion.

While that set is nice, I think @RacerRabbit's version is somewhat closer to that of a hot-rod with it's oversize engine block capped with a nice blower. A car in full bright red is commonplace amongst hot-rods.

2 hours ago, Ben24x7 said:

These MOCs are fantastic!

I love the updated designs and I like the new vehicle designs you made from scratch...

...that said, I do have one minor gripe (you don't have to fix it, it's just my personal opinion): As much as I love the idea behind Baron Von Barron's car, I'm not a fan of the colour palette. For me, there's just too much red (like, 90% of the car is bright red).

Other than that, these redesigns are incredible!

I can see why you don't think much of Baron Von Barron's car. I could add a black stripe down the side I suppose. It'd take some work to replace all the photos of it on other sites but I reckon that might make the car a little more appealing.

11 hours ago, Quisoves Potoo said:
11 hours ago, Quisoves Potoo said:

Not at all bad...

The only one I'm not keen on is Johnny Thunder's: It looks cheap and crass, like a marketing executive's attempt at a redesign, in contrast to the other, exceedingly charming reimaginings.

I was kinda going for a cunky feel to it. The original car looked rather simple itself. As for the jet exhausts on the back, well, seeing as in the original game, Johnny and Rocket Racer's cars both use the same exhaust pieces so I reckoned I should do the same with the remasters. Is there anything I could do to improve it in any way?

Quisoves Potoo
11 hours ago, RacerRabbit said:
11 hours ago, RacerRabbit said:

I was kinda going for a cunky feel to it. The original car looked rather simple itself. As for the jet exhausts on the back, well, seeing as in the original game, Johnny and Rocket Racer's cars both use the same exhaust pieces so I reckoned I should do the same with the remasters. Is there anything I could do to improve it in any way?

I daresay you're a better builder than I am, so I'm not sure how much help I can be, but these are the flaws that jump out at me: The curves clash with the angular doors, while there's something about the bulkiness of the front that makes it seem decidedly modern.  I think it's the proportions. The other eyesore comes in the form of the wheels, which I simply dislike as a piece. The lack of any visible connections makes them look more like Hotwheels than LEGO (which I suspect was TLG's intent).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.