LEGOLAND - State of Modding - Start Here!

Cyrem

LEGOLAND - State of Modding

This topic outlines the progress of LEGOLAND research for modding so that you as a member can get up to speed with the progress on the game and join in! You don’t need to be a programmer to help with this, just a keen eye and some motivation. Many hands make light work, so if you can help please throw in a hand.

File Types

Extension
Progress
Tools
About
RES
100%
Yes
Resource Volume - The resource archives storing most of the game resources (Legoland.res, Graphics1.res, Graphics2.res)
LLS
0%
No
LegoLand Sprite - These files are compressed image sprites. The format seems to contain multiple images for animations.
MAP
0%
No
MAP file are used for the playable maps in the game.
WAV
100%
Yes
Wave sound file for sound effects. Nothing special needed to play.
3D
0%
No
Possibly 3D model files that are no longer used.
COL
0%
No
Something to do with colour, possibly not used.
CSP
0%
No
Standardized LL Index File for LLS sprites. Seems to contain a "compilation" of sprites.
ILF
0%
No
See CSP File
LOC
0%
No
Unknown
ODF
0%
No
Possibly "Object Data File". Contains properties of objects.
PK
0%
No
Unknown. There is only one file "pirates song.pk"
POS
0%
No
Unknown but possibly to do with the 3D Model files.
RIN
0%
No
Unknown but possibly to do with the 3D Model files.
TXT
100%
Yes
Standard text document for briefings and level scripts.
TSF
0%
No
Something to do with tile sets. Referrenced by TSM files.
TSM
0%
No
Something to do with tile sets. Referrences TSF files.
BMP
100%
Yes
Standard Bitmap File.
SCC
100%
N/A
Microsoft Visual Source Safe files. Leftover file from development.
JBF
100%
Yes
Jasc Paint Shop Pro files. Leftover from development.
STY
100%
Yes
Microsoft DirectMusic Style. (Thanks LDD Mods)
BND
100%
Yes
Microsoft DirectMusic Band. (Thanks LDD Mods)
STR
100%
Yes
Strings File.
BNV
0%
No
Unknown. Something to do with ride zbuffers.
LFM/LMS/LPT/OBJ/LTX
0%
No
Unknown. Various rollercoaster related files.

Current Tools

These are the current tools available for dealing with custom LEGOLAND files.

Needed Tools

We really need tools to deal with the the following files:

• LLS to BMP, BMP to LLS
  • Edit Index files such as TSM, TSF, CSP, ILF
  • Edit Object Data. For the ODF file format.
  • Map Viewer/Editor for MAP files.

Experiments

We need members to conduct experiments with altering and swapping files and checking their outcomes. Please post all progress you make on any files. While testing all files is important, the following files are of particular interest:

• LLS, CSP
  • MAP, TXT (Level Scripts)
  • ODF
  • TSF, TSM

Misc

Some other pages/topics of interest...

Happy modding!

• Like 5

• Cyrem pinned this topic
MinifigRenderer

Thanks Cyrem. I know that sty and bnd are both DirectMusic Producer files which I've had a small amount of experience of opening them.

MinifigRenderer
1 minute ago, Cyrem said:

Thanks @legoman99, I've added that information.

No worries. Mr Skeltal is more of an expert in DMP than I am with exporting them to wav files but I know someone has uploaded them to YouTube. I can have a look around on the net for any of the other file types, and post here if I find anything of interest

Updated definitions for SCC and JBF. Neither of these files need investigating as they're just leftovers from development.

MinifigRenderer

RIN files are what appear to be Retrieve 4GL Database Index file. From what I've found they're not meant to be opened directly.

MinifigRenderer
1 hour ago, Cyrem said:
46 minutes ago, Cyrem said:

Interesting, any more info on that? I can't seem to turn up much.

I basically just googled .rin file format into Google and had 3 websites all say that's what it is. Can't seem to find more info than that. I thought it was more likely to be the database then a music file since DirectMusic files are the music.

7 hours ago, legoman99 said:

I basically just googled .rin file format into Google and had 3 websites all say that's what it is. Can't seem to find more info than that. I thought it was more likely to be the database then a music file since DirectMusic files are the music.

That said, it's not uncommon for obscure games to use obscure file formats that no-one knows about... it's hardly like using a file extension is copyright and once you use .xyz nobody else can use it...

... much like LR1's .bmp shenanigans (they had the BMP extension but really weren't BMP files at all)

There doesn't seem to much of an indicator or signature in the files themselves to tell you much about them. Its quite possible that its a custom file with the same extension, it has some relation to the 3d models in the same folder.

• 10 months later...

I'm gonna have a quick go at documenting the formatting and instructions in the objective/script files since that'll be the quickest way to getting some modding going. Some initial notes:

They seem fairly simple and (somewhat) self-documented but some of the instructions seem a bit odd. e.g. "GLUE" and "UNGLUE" *appear* from context to make it so you can't/can erase a building that's marked by the coordinates given, however two pairs of coords are given to correspond to a single building. Perhaps instead this is simply marking a region of tiles that can't/can be interacted with, rather than a building as a single unit? Would be interesting to see if it prevents all interaction with a tile or just deletions. e.g. making a region where you can only place something once and not remove it. I don't even know where to start with the map files though. Of note is that there are two values (using a HEX editor) in `one.map` near the top just after the initial text listing the building that correspond to an instruction in the objectives that centres the camera on the park entrance (according to the adjacent comment). Matching up these sorts of coordinate values could provide an insight into the .map formatting perhaps? Could have to see if perhaps the GLUE coords roughly match with anything (though how one would translate from the pair of coords in the objectives to presumably single coords in the .map is beyond me currently. I'll screw about later today and see if anything fun happens.  

side note: I enjoy the naming of "maxblokes" a lot and wonder what happens if you set this really high

Update I now have 50 blokes running around the first tutorial level. My empire of towers and shops has begun

• 6 months later...
On 11/30/2019 at 9:00 AM, ch4rl1e97 said:

I'm gonna have a quick go at documenting the formatting and instructions in the objective/script files since that'll be the quickest way to getting some modding going. Some initial notes:

They seem fairly simple and (somewhat) self-documented but some of the instructions seem a bit odd. e.g. "GLUE" and "UNGLUE" *appear* from context to make it so you can't/can erase a building that's marked by the coordinates given, however two pairs of coords are given to correspond to a single building. Perhaps instead this is simply marking a region of tiles that can't/can be interacted with, rather than a building as a single unit? Would be interesting to see if it prevents all interaction with a tile or just deletions. e.g. making a region where you can only place something once and not remove it. I don't even know where to start with the map files though. Of note is that there are two values (using a HEX editor) in `one.map` near the top just after the initial text listing the building that correspond to an instruction in the objectives that centres the camera on the park entrance (according to the adjacent comment). Matching up these sorts of coordinate values could provide an insight into the .map formatting perhaps? Could have to see if perhaps the GLUE coords roughly match with anything (though how one would translate from the pair of coords in the objectives to presumably single coords in the .map is beyond me currently. I'll screw about later today and see if anything fun happens.  

side note: I enjoy the naming of "maxblokes" a lot and wonder what happens if you set this really high

Update I now have 50 blokes running around the first tutorial level. My empire of towers and shops has begun

So inevitably I forgot to ever follow up on this, I did however get someway to documenting the script/objective files in a bad format (Excel, grim). I've converted this to a Google Sheet here, obviously it's very incomplete and I wasn't really sure how to go about writing the information down, but hopefully it's useful as a starting point to future modders. Would recommend opening a few of the scripts yourself to begin to understand what I'm talking about in the Sheet. 

• 2 years later...

Two year bump. I recently got into modding this game to try and take a crack at making a mod for freeplay so there's no limit on the objects you can get. Looking through the scripting files in the volume, I opened "freeplaytest.txt" and one of the commands was BREIFING FILE "freeplay.txt" I cannot find a freeplay.txt anywhere it also appears in a line the profiles under the save1 file when opened with notepad. Any idea where to find this? This might be the answer I'm looking for

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.