LRR cursor light interpolation not working properly

anowlcalledjosh

anowlcalledjosh

I've tried running Rock Raiders in a couple of different ways, both on Linux using Wine and in a Windows 10 VM with dgVoodoo, but apparently whatever I do, the cursor lighting is always slightly broken. It's meant to move smoothly with the cursor – you can see the correct behaviour in this video, for example – but whatever I try, I can't get that to happen for me.

If I use Wine or dgVoodoo, the lighting changes sharply when the mouse moves instead. I uploaded a video of it here. If I enable the "apply Phong shading when possible" setting in dgVoodoo, then it changes to a circle of light around the cursor that doesn't fade out at all, like a massive spotlight. Whatever I try, the only I've found of fixing it is to play on a real XP machine I still have!

Anyone else having the same problem? Any ideas for fixing it would be appreciated :)

I've never seen this issue before, or at least not this severe. It sometimes happens when I boost the light range to max and put the cursor near the edge of the screen with an extreme camera angle in order to get screenshots. I figured that was a floating point issue.

This section in the CFG controls the cursor light if I'm remembering it correctly. Maybe the FadeRGB settings can be adjusted to simulate proper lighting. Give them extreme values and see what happens.

LightEffects {

BlinkRGBMax				25.0:25.0:25.0
		MaxChangeAllowed			30.0			;NOTE this is only checked on red
		RandomRangeForTimeBetweenBlinks		1.0:4.0

FadeRGBMin				-50.0:-50.0:-50.0
		FadeRGBMax				50.0:50.0:50.0
		RandomRangeForTimeBetweenFades		0.2:1.0
		RandomRangeForFadeTimeFade		0.15:0.6
		RandomRangeForHoldTimeOfFade		0.05:0.3

RandomRangeForTimeBetweenMoves		0.0:0.6
		RandomRangeForSpeedOfMove		0.02:0.2
		RandomRangeForDistOfMove		2.0:10.0
		MoveLimit				15.0:15.0:20.0
	}

Are you using dgVoodoo v2.53?

If so, that's probably you're the issue. I have the same type of lighting on that version, however, it is normal in later versions.

anowlcalledjosh

I was indeed using dgVoodoo v2.53 – I just tried the latest version, v2.55.4, and it works... differently? The wall lighting is smooth, but the floor and the raiders are all always fully-lit, and if I ever select a wall, it also appears at full brightness forever. Definitely an improvement, though!

anowlcalledjosh

I've just tried them all, and nothing seemed to change unfortunately.

On the other hand, I've always thought that the dynamic lighting just made the game less fun to play, so having the floor at full brightness isn't really a problem.

• 1 month later...

Just popping in to report/confirm that the current latest version of dgVoodoo (2.55.4) seems to work 100% for me, and 2.53 did indeed have the cursor light issue OP was talking about. FWIW, I'm on Windows 7 and integrated Intel graphics of some kind (this laptop also has an nvidia card but it's busted and out of commission).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.