lego rock raiders crashes on specific level (fronzen frenzy)

groovy grover

groovy grover

hi everyone,

i few days ago, i was able to get this wonderfull lego running on my modern system because of this fantastic community..

i want give really big shout out to everyone who is helping here to keep this old lego games alive, i really appreciate u guys for your wonderfull jobs! :D (to bad that my knowlegde is not big enough to help other people out here) 

and espacialy a big thx to Cyrem!!! (the founder of this community) for keeping lego games alive in a time they where really exciting! :D

i have played and enjoyd a few level of rock raiders, witch was wonderfull because i wanted to play this a again for long, but unfortunitly i had run into a new problem, and really hope you guys can help me out again! ?

on my computer game crashes every time on a specific level, witch in english i believe is called frozen frenzy..

its freezes (including sound)..

i hve my suspicions it has same thing to do with my ram.

this because it not crash everytime at the same point, and if i restart my system it takes longer to crash, so thats the resason for my thoughts about ram..

but i'm tottaly not sure why it is doing that.

my system specs are:

"windows 7 service pack 1"

with a "nvidia gtx 1060 GPU"

and a AMD CPU with "intel (4) core's i7-700" (8 core's with hyper tredting) 64-bits

and 16 gb of ram ram memory (don't sure of its drd3 or drd4, and unfortunitly don;t quite sure how i can check this)

thx already everyone for reading and thinking! :D

ps: i'm from the netherlands and my english is really bad so srry if i make this hard to read! ;)

Can you give up more details about the specific part of the level that causes the crash? Is there anything you're doing at the time of the crash, such as using dynamite or opening up a new cavern?

You may wish to try increasing the amount of memory that LegoRR can access. First, you need to extract the WAD files, as seen in this tutorial series:

In your Data folder, you should now have a file called Lego.cfg, Near the top you'll find a line with the term TextureUsage. Increase the number on the same line; try and use a multiple of eight (i.e., 8, 16, 32, 64 etc, but always higher than the default value of 3145728). A good number to attempt is 9567812.

• Thanks 1

groovy grover

hi mcjobless,

thx for reading, thinking and your reaction! :)

well about more specifing the cause the crash: well to be honest i don't see specific trigger or something like that, it feel really random..

i tried to keep the cave as small as possible, using less rock raiders (i even tried to compleet it with 3 rock raider, witch was fun ad all to be honest haha ;p) but it crashes every time at another moment.. (what makes it feel kind of random)

so i'm affriad that i can't specify this any better, srry..

but your suggestion to increase the amout of memory sounds like something that could work out for this, so i'm gonna try that out! ;D
thx  a lot already for spending your time on this!!! :D

and i will let you know of this works!!! ;)

groovy grover

hmmm this is really strange..

i tried it with the "WAD tool" and also with the "WAD recycler".

the wad tool doesn't want to open the WAD files..

it say's: the selected WAD file is not a valid Rock Raiders WAD

and the WAD recycler say it: its proccesing and than nothing happend and ask to drop a new file..

i did the exact same is in the video but for some reason, doesn't want to open the file's :(

groovy grover
5 hours ago, groovy grover said:

hmmm this is really strange..

i tried it with the "WAD tool" and also with the "WAD recycler".

the wad tool doesn't want to open the WAD files..

it say's: the selected WAD file is not a valid Rock Raiders WAD

and the WAD recycler say it: its proccesing and than nothing happend and ask to drop a new file..

i did the exact same is in the video but for some reason, doesn't want to open the file's :(

now that i'm thinking of it, i had a windows start up repair a few days ago.

is it possible that windows did damage those files? (game and levels still launches as they should)

Try copying your WADs to your desktop first. The various WAD tools have issues with files located in Program Files, which is the default install location for LRR, if I'm remembering right. It's because Windows wants admin rights to edit anything there, but it doesn't care about the desktop.

• Thanks 1

groovy grover
2 minutes ago, Cirevam said:

Try copying your WADs to your desktop first. The various WAD tools have issues with files located in Program Files, which is the default install location for LRR, if I'm remembering right. It's because Windows wants admin rights to edit anything there, but it doesn't care about the desktop.

wow indeed that totally works!! :D

i don't even have to copy it to my desktop, running the WAD tool as administrator already does the job!! (so i think that confirming your theory about admin rights ;) )

thank you very much cirevam!!! :D
now i can try the solution from mcjobless! :)

groovy grover

hahah also this the best/funniest coincidence i have seen in a long time..

i'm listing to a playlist with 1809 songs in it! (106 hours of music), with only 2 rock raider soundtrack listed.

and excaly at the moment i get the notification of your reaction on this topic, a rock raider soundtracks started to play.. ;P

how funny/cool/ironic is that hahahah! 

groovy grover

yazz, your solution did work out for me @McJobless!! :D

level-complete.png

(and what a terible job did xD, 01:00:57 xD, but because of that also a really good test ? )

thank you very very much now I can continue my journey of nostalgic goodness!!  :D 

• 11 months later...

Hi @all,

I seem to have a similar issue. I tried the solution which worked for @groovy grover. It did not work for me with "A good number to attempt is 9567812.", like @McJobless suggested ...

However, I can give some feedback on the when it crashes ... The game crashe for me in Lvl09. I guess its the same as with @groovy grover, but my game is in German ... Anyway, I played the mission 3 times, and always had the crashes when teleporting vehicles. Twice, when I used the transporter to get the "Loader Dozer Schaufellader". And once, when a mud slide hit it and it got transported back to the LMS explorer.

Then I tried the fix suggested by @McJobless. I transported down the Loader Dozer. Everything worked fine. But then when it started driving, the game crashed. I did not have the focus on the vehicle in that moment, so I don't know what happened exactly. I just can say that the game seems to works fine, if I don't use a big vehicle.

So I'm here with two questions:

1. Is there any fix in general for this behavior?

2. Does anyone have a pointer, where to look? Maybe I'll find some time and figure it out myself :)

Best Regards,

Mushroom

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.