LRR Crashes On Launch in XP Virtual Machine

Doomblade94

I set up a Windows XP virtual machine for LRR about a month ago. I was able to play through the game alright, but now it won't start for me. Whenever I try to launch the game from the "enhanced" version with the "-ftm" string at the end of the launch properties, I immediately get a window that says the program had to shut down unexpectedly and asks if I want to send an error report. I have tried enabling both 3D and 2D graphics acceleration (I maxed out the video memory at 128MB), although when I did that the game would not even try to start. Disabling them seems to cause the game to crash on startup. I am running an XP Professional 32-bit virtual machine; does anyone know of any way to fix this?

Wander into your LRR folder and check the size of LegoRR.icd.

If it's 0 kB, which by the sound of it it should be, that means it runs without the disk and you probably don't even need a VM to run LRR unless you really want to. That guide should have most of the steps to get it running.

I have never heard of any of those problems but with a bit of luck not using a VM will make half of them go away :P

If it's something like 700 kB, which would be strange given the above, you're kinda screwed with or without a VM but you can still usually get LRR to run if you're sufficiently dedicated. Follow this guide to enable SafeDisc, then follow the above guide to run LRR, then when you're finished playing turn off SafeDisc.

Also, welcome back to RRU (we hope we can actually get LRR to run this time round! :P )

Also, what's your graphics card?

On 11/23/2018 at 4:51 PM, aidenpons said:

Wander into your LRR folder and check the size of LegoRR.icd.

If it's 0 kB, which by the sound of it it should be, that means it runs without the disk and you probably don't even need a VM to run LRR unless you really want to. That guide should have most of the steps to get it running.

I have never heard of any of those problems but with a bit of luck not using a VM will make half of them go away :P

If it's something like 700 kB, which would be strange given the above, you're kinda screwed with or without a VM but you can still usually get LRR to run if you're sufficiently dedicated. Follow this guide to enable SafeDisc, then follow the above guide to run LRR, then when you're finished playing turn off SafeDisc.

Also, welcome back to RRU (we hope we can actually get LRR to run this time round! :P )

Also, what's your graphics card?

My LegoRR.icd is indeed SafeDisc protected (it has the 700-some kB file size). I was able to get it working on a VM for a while, but now whenever I try to start it up it crashes immediately (asking if I want to send an error report). For the guide you linked to (starting LRR in Windows 10 with SafeDisc protection), should I attempt that on the VM or on my regular OS? I'm running my computer on 64-bit Windows 7 Professional w/ Service Pack 1. As for my graphics card, I have an MSI brand NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 2gb OC.

Personally, I think it'd be better to strip the protection from the game, rather than re-enable the service that Microsoft disabled for security.
*cough*Most likely unSafeDisc v1.5.5 would work*cough*

19 hours ago, mumboking said:

Personally, I think it'd be better to strip the protection from the game, rather than re-enable the service that Microsoft disabled for security.
*cough*Most likely unSafeDisc v1.5.5 would work*cough*

Do you think that will work? Is there an official download link for it (or one that you would recommend), and how exactly do I use it?

15 hours ago, Doomblade94 said:

Do you think that will work? Is there an official download link for it (or one that you would recommend), and how exactly do I use it?

It worked for Racers, could work on Rock Raiders.
Not sure I can give a link to download it on here, as that may be against forum rules.

I don't remember exactly what happens, and I don't have a game I can currently test it on, but:

Run it.
Click "Decrypt Game".
Select the game's icd file.

You'll end up with two new exe files. One will work, the other one won't. Just delete the one that doesn't.

2 hours ago, mumboking said:

It worked for Racers, could work on Rock Raiders.
Not sure I can give a link to download it on here, as that may be against forum rules.

I don't remember exactly what happens, and I don't have a game I can currently test it on, but:

Run it.
Click "Decrypt Game".
Select the game's icd file.

You'll end up with two new exe files. One will work, the other one won't. Just delete the one that doesn't.

I found a download from a search engine, and you know what? IT WORKED! I can now play LRR in Windows 7 without the virtual machine! Thank you so much for this (and everyone else who offered me advice).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.