Electricity

Screen freezes game keeps running

Electricity

Hello,

I have installed LEGO Rock Raiders using the laternative installer and then downloaded a D3DRM.dll and dgVoodoo and the game seems to run fine for a while. But then after a random amount of time in a mission the screen will freeze/stop drawing but I can hear the game keeps running in the background. Has anybody else had similar issues?

I have windows 10 64 bit, intel i5 processor and nvidia graphics card.

paperpanzer

I've had the same issue as well. Appears to be pretty random, though the larger the map the more likely the chance of it happening.

Electricity

It just feels like every time I play it will do it at some point. Maybe I just have to make it a habit to save after every level and then restart the game...

Electricity

Im using dgVoodoo 2.53.

Edit: I have also tried using the latest version (2.55.4) but same still happens.

Kampf_Kartoffel

I am experiencing the same problem no clue how to fix it

Arthuriel

Yeah, I also encountered this problem, when I played it recently. First I thought, that it had to with a setting, that I recently turned on in dgvoodoo 2.55.4 (fast video memory access), but even without that the game randomly does the freeze-frame-and-in-the-background-you-still-hear-sounds-and-music crash. I doubt, that it has to do with mods or fixes (to make the music work for example) except for a possible increase in crashes, when even the topic creator with an almost basic game install has these issues.
I noticed, that it may have to do with Windows 10, because on Windows 7 I also played this game* and instead it would just randomly crash to the desktop with a small error window instead.

*with and without Cyrem's Cafeteria program (in case, someone needs additional info)

P.S.: From all the annoying things in the game (like an almost finished building, argh), this is possibly the most frustrating one. Is there an operating system, where Rock Raiders was really stable ? Only Windows 98 or none of them?

paperpanzer
13 hours ago, Arthuriel said:

Yeah, I also encountered this problem, when I played it recently. First I thought, that it had to with a setting, that I recently turned on in dgvoodoo 2.55.4 (fast video memory access), but even without that the game randomly does the freeze-frame-and-in-the-background-you-still-hear-sounds-and-music crash. I doubt, that it has to do with mods or fixes (to make the music work for example) except for a possible increase in crashes, when even the topic creator with an almost basic game install has these issues.
I noticed, that it may have to do with Windows 10, because on Windows 7 I also played this game* and instead it would just randomly crash to the desktop with a small error window instead.

*with and without Cyrem's Cafeteria program (in case, someone needs additional info)

P.S.: From all the annoying things in the game (like an almost finished building, argh), this is possibly the most frustrating one. Is there an operating system, where Rock Raiders was really stable ? Only Windows 98 or none of them?

Lol I don't think LRR was very stable on any OS it was released for. (BTW, does anyone know if a Mac version was made or suggested at DDI during development? Just curious) 

What version of Win 7 did you use? 32 bit ran LRR native, but 64 bit would need emulation. Personally my 32 bit Win 7 laptop ran LRR rather well, even though the computer itself was a piece of sh*t.

I might also make mention that sometimes the game will just straight-up CTD, no freeze or black screen. Playing for longer periods (especially on the later missions) also increases the crash chance. That might be emulation- or even something with the engine that has issues with RAM allocation, or has difficulties with RAM quantities in modern machines.

Arthuriel

I could find it out about the stability issues, if I ever bother to play it on my Windows 98 computer again XD.

If I recall correctly I could actually even play it without emulation (do you mean a virtual machine or programs like dgvoodoo? In either case: I haven't used those programs on Win 7 to play Rock Raiders*.) or big problems (besides the occasional instability with the crash to desktop and the small error window) on Windows 7 64-bit.

Yeah, I also have the crash to desktop (that's the CTD thing, right?) on Windows 7 and 10 (64-bit) (on 10 it may also freeze with audio going on the background).

*I actually found a screenshot, where I managed to build a base with a support station on the level "Don't Panic!". That was back in 2013 when I already had Windows 7 64-bit. My guess: Maybe it also depends on the graphics card or if you have the videos turned off etc.

paperpanzer

LRR runs on Win 7 64 bit? Interesting, as the program is a 16 bit one. By emulation I meant graphics cards (DGVoodoo in this case).

Yes, "CTD" is shorthand for "crash to desktop"

When I played LRR on my 98 and 2000 I remember the occasional CTD (especially on Frozen Frenzy). I also remember the last training mission, "Defending Rock Raiders HQ" would have the entirety of the "game" side of the screen turning black. Sounds would still play and the HUD was still visible, and you could exit to the menu, but I never managed to play that last training mission until I had LRR on my XP Pro. 😂