Screen freezes game keeps running

Electricity

Hello,

I have installed LEGO Rock Raiders using the laternative installer and then downloaded a D3DRM.dll and dgVoodoo and the game seems to run fine for a while. But then after a random amount of time in a mission the screen will freeze/stop drawing but I can hear the game keeps running in the background. Has anybody else had similar issues?

I have windows 10 64 bit, intel i5 processor and nvidia graphics card.

It just feels like every time I play it will do it at some point. Maybe I just have to make it a habit to save after every level and then restart the game...

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Yeah, I also encountered this problem, when I played it recently. First I thought, that it had to with a setting, that I recently turned on in dgvoodoo 2.55.4 (fast video memory access), but even without that the game randomly does the freeze-frame-and-in-the-background-you-still-hear-sounds-and-music crash. I doubt, that it has to do with mods or fixes (to make the music work for example) except for a possible increase in crashes, when even the topic creator with an almost basic game install has these issues.
I noticed, that it may have to do with Windows 10, because on Windows 7 I also played this game* and instead it would just randomly crash to the desktop with a small error window instead.

*with and without Cyrem's Cafeteria program (in case, someone needs additional info)

P.S.: From all the annoying things in the game (like an almost finished building, argh), this is possibly the most frustrating one. Is there an operating system, where Rock Raiders was really stable ? Only Windows 98 or none of them?

paperpanzer
13 hours ago, Arthuriel said:

Yeah, I also encountered this problem, when I played it recently. First I thought, that it had to with a setting, that I recently turned on in dgvoodoo 2.55.4 (fast video memory access), but even without that the game randomly does the freeze-frame-and-in-the-background-you-still-hear-sounds-and-music crash. I doubt, that it has to do with mods or fixes (to make the music work for example) except for a possible increase in crashes, when even the topic creator with an almost basic game install has these issues.
I noticed, that it may have to do with Windows 10, because on Windows 7 I also played this game* and instead it would just randomly crash to the desktop with a small error window instead.

*with and without Cyrem's Cafeteria program (in case, someone needs additional info)

P.S.: From all the annoying things in the game (like an almost finished building, argh), this is possibly the most frustrating one. Is there an operating system, where Rock Raiders was really stable ? Only Windows 98 or none of them?

Lol I don't think LRR was very stable on any OS it was released for. (BTW, does anyone know if a Mac version was made or suggested at DDI during development? Just curious) 

What version of Win 7 did you use? 32 bit ran LRR native, but 64 bit would need emulation. Personally my 32 bit Win 7 laptop ran LRR rather well, even though the computer itself was a piece of sh*t.

I might also make mention that sometimes the game will just straight-up CTD, no freeze or black screen. Playing for longer periods (especially on the later missions) also increases the crash chance. That might be emulation- or even something with the engine that has issues with RAM allocation, or has difficulties with RAM quantities in modern machines.

I could find it out about the stability issues, if I ever bother to play it on my Windows 98 computer again XD.

If I recall correctly I could actually even play it without emulation (do you mean a virtual machine or programs like dgvoodoo? In either case: I haven't used those programs on Win 7 to play Rock Raiders*.) or big problems (besides the occasional instability with the crash to desktop and the small error window) on Windows 7 64-bit.

Yeah, I also have the crash to desktop (that's the CTD thing, right?) on Windows 7 and 10 (64-bit) (on 10 it may also freeze with audio going on the background).

*I actually found a screenshot, where I managed to build a base with a support station on the level "Don't Panic!". That was back in 2013 when I already had Windows 7 64-bit. My guess: Maybe it also depends on the graphics card or if you have the videos turned off etc.

paperpanzer

LRR runs on Win 7 64 bit? Interesting, as the program is a 16 bit one. By emulation I meant graphics cards (DGVoodoo in this case).

Yes, "CTD" is shorthand for "crash to desktop"

When I played LRR on my 98 and 2000 I remember the occasional CTD (especially on Frozen Frenzy). I also remember the last training mission, "Defending Rock Raiders HQ" would have the entirety of the "game" side of the screen turning black. Sounds would still play and the HUD was still visible, and you could exit to the menu, but I never managed to play that last training mission until I had LRR on my XP Pro. ?

• 11 months later...
Chris The Grape

I know this is a year late, but I'm having the same problem. My LRR will freeze randomly yet I can still hear game noise and have to alt-tab and close it. I can't finish some of the longer missions as a result, and I want to be able to enjoy the game at my leisure. I don't want to have to rush through it due to the fear of it crashing

I run windows 10, with a NVIDIA 1080 and I used the following guide to get it to work 

have tried messing around with compatibility to windows 98 and with reducing the colors to 16bit, nothing has fixed it.

5 hours ago, Chris The Grape said:

I don't want to have to rush through it due to the fear of it crashing

I unfortunately think is a fundamental part of LRR. My machine running LRR usually crashes quietly - just pauses for a second and deletes itself from existence - but it still crashes nevertheless. On my laptop it's a little more stable but still just explodes mid-way.

Community Edition has a couple of fixes in it, but also some people report higher crash rates with it, and it definitely doesn't stop the crashing completely.

Chris The Grape

Hah well, I tried community edition and it doesn't work for me at all I'm afraid. My issue is the game will run fine up to about an hour of playing, then it just freezes and closes. I am at my wits end as I can't finish the mission erode works and progress my story on from that

I'm a bit tired of building up my base to get a chrome crusher, and tell it to drill that one bit of hard rock and as it's about to and the mission is about to complete, the game freezes.

At least that's what happened to me 20 minutes ago. :c

6 hours ago, Chris The Grape said:

Hah well, I tried community edition and it doesn't work for me at all I'm afraid. My issue is the game will run fine up to about an hour of playing, then it just freezes and closes. I am at my wits end as I can't finish the mission erode works and progress my story on from that

I'm a bit tired of building up my base to get a chrome crusher, and tell it to drill that one bit of hard rock and as it's about to and the mission is about to complete, the game freezes.

At least that's what happened to me 20 minutes ago. :c

If you want to skip Erode Works, add the -programmer in the Target box of a shortcut to LegoRR.exe to enable debug keys, load Erode Works, then hit (Left Ctrl) + S to win the level. (This will also disable sound, load up another level and press S to re-enable it)

Unfortunately, as I said above, there is nothing you can do to stop the crashing, but workarounds like this usually get somewhere. Try keeping your raider number low - I get good stability < 20 raiders... but even then I still get crashes. :(

• Sad 1

Prehistoricman

I've also seen this issue a couple of times and I use dgVoodoo too. Perhaps it's an issue with this wrapper rather than the game.

I don't think I've had it happen while playing, only when pausing/alt-tabbing.

Chris The Grape

It's a random crash for me, followed your advice with control + S on erode works, it worked. But the issue is for every map it seems, just had the same thing with water lot of fun. Not really fun when I'm trying to do it and the game just keeps crashing on me.

I've tried running the game in windowed mode, I've tried swapping my dgVoodo version around, first the one the guide said, then the one that was "Stable" and now the latest one, none have worked. I've tried running it in compatibility mode and all that does is allow the movies to play, I've tried 16bit color mode. I just don't know what is causing this and I can't actually finish a longer mission without skipping it.

and in water lot of fun I only had 10 rock raiders in total when it crashed, so no joy there.

I do appreciate your attempts to help Aiden, and prehistoricman, I may feel frustrated at the game but I do appreciate you both taking time out of your days to help a random internet user, so for that I am grateful.

I may try the alternative to dgVoodoo, but I also recently discovered Manic Miners, and surprise no problems there, just I want to play rock raiders because it 1. has all the features which manic miners doesn't have (yet), and 2. 5-year old me had a lot of fun with the game and I am feeling that same sense of joy replaying it now, just kind of wish the game engine wasn't so bad with later builds of windows, especially windows 10.

• 5 weeks later...
Humanbasterd

I only have the issue of it CTD on me when i play the Water Works level. i can build my base until somewhere after the support station. (trying to get an upgrade centre asap to get more cristals in the long run) but it will crash on me every time. even the time i got the miners out the were almost back at the base and BOOM CTD.

I'm a bit late to the topic, but the next version of community edition i'm working on is vastly different to the current version, with 32 bit support, upgraded apis and more. Though I can't say it'll fix your crash since I don't know what your crash is from, it could make a difference. That said, would you like to lend a hand to the project by doing some debugging on your game for me? there is a chance I may resolve the issue now or in a future version of community edition.

This is in reply to both of you, @Chris The Grape and @Humanbasterd.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I can also confirm this issue has been happening to me.  Its bizzare, the game keeps running, if i click the screen i can hear everything still registering in the game, it just stops drawing it to the screen.  Ive noticed that it seems to happen less in windows mode, and its definitely related to too much happening at once in the game...

Im all the way to the second to last level, back to basics with all the rock monsters and slugs, even if you try to power through it, theres just no way.

Although tbh i think this might have always been an issue with rock raiders, i vaguely remember the game "not working sometimes" like 20 years ago when i was little and often cleaning the disc in the bathroom sink,

Im not sure if its actually crashing though, if there was a way to force it to redraw the screen i think that could fix it (i have no idea how any of this software works)

So close to finally putting this part of my childhood to rest too!

On 5/8/2020 at 3:37 PM, Cyrem said:

I'm a bit late to the topic, but the next version of community edition i'm working on is vastly different to the current version, with 32 bit support, upgraded apis and more. Though I can't say it'll fix your crash since I don't know what your crash is from, it could make a difference. That said, would you like to lend a hand to the project by doing some debugging on your game for me? there is a chance I may resolve the issue now or in a future version of community edition.

This is in reply to both of you, @Chris The Grape and @Humanbasterd.

I could totally do some debugging for you just tell me what u need

Try limiting the framerate to 30 FPS, for me the screen would turn black and this helped. You can use a program called Rivatunner Statistics Server from Guru3D. Launch it, set limit to 30 and leave it running while you play the game.

• 7 months later...

Windows 10 Home 64 bits

Intel® Core™ i5-10300H CPU @ 2.50GHz 2.50 GHz
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 with Max-Q Design - 6GB
Samsung DDR4 16GB RAM
512GB SSD

w2ryWyv.png

I get this issue a lot (more than 5 times before). I ran a debugger at the same time and got this error.

tnxZkFn.png

When I change the exception settings to all it gives me this error instead.

Exception thrown at 0x004757AD in LegoRR.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000060.

Unhandled exception at 0x004757AD in LegoRR.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000060.

I have no idea what this means and how to solve this. Does anyone know what this means?

From experience I could say it only happens when I drill a wall (explore new cave) or totally random (random events?). When I have reinforced walls in the whole map and I am not drilling, I could keep going for as long as I want. I do not get a frozen screen anymore, so maybe it has to do with random events that crash?

The map I am experiencing it has slimy slug holes, but no slimy slugs actually spawn (last map). I have no idea if this could be related.

• 2 weeks later...

Windows 10 Home 64 bits

Samsung DDR4 16GB RAM
512GB SSD

w2ryWyv.png

I tried it again with debug on and I got this error instead.

T6GpVp1.png

Exception thrown at 0x7622A8B2 in LegoRR.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: _com_error at memory location 0x0019E224.

Exception thrown at 0x7622A8B2 in LegoRR.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: _com_error at memory location 0x0019E68C.

Exception thrown at 0x7622A8B2 in LegoRR.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: _com_error at memory location 0x0019E808.

This error also causes to freeze the screen.

It just crashed again. This time when completed the Ore Refinery it gave me this error.

T4MK3Rl.png

Idk why, but I crashed this game like 11 times today.

• 10 months later...

Computer specs:

Windows 10 Home 64 bits

Samsung DDR4 16GB RAM
512GB SSD

Rock raiders compatibility mode:

Windows XP (Service Pack 3)

DGVoodoo Glide tab:

anqGzeK.png

DGVoodoo DirectX tab:

i5UBxDT.png

I have been trying to figure out a patern to find a solution to this. For some reason playing in first person in any rock raider or vehicle posibbly solves this issue. I was able to finish the last mission 3 times with drilling almost every wall possible. When you want to move your mouse to move in the game, use a rock raider or vehicle in first person instead.

The things I think that could freeze the game are the following:

1. Playing the game on max speed freezes the game after a while for some reason (You would say dgvoodoo reserves enough memory for the game).

2. Playing in first person could render the game different or slower and makes freezing the game unlikely (rendering things in the game could crash, because of rendering speed?).

I do not know the real reason why the freezes are happening, but going to first person could be the way to go for now at least. Going into third person could also work, but I tried this almost always in first person.

I am curious if this also works for other people and in other missions. This may at least help you get through missions without freezing.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, any further information on this issue? I just re-installed LRR and have the same issue of the game minimizing (or if in windowed, graphics freezing) while everything else runs along. Tasks are being completed, buildings built etc. I am running it with dgVoodoo, Community Edition and Cafetieria and tried it in many different configurations.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.