Bring back the chat!

Edwin

As I understand, the chat on this site is removed and instead the members are supposed to chat on discord.

I don't like this. Sure, keep the discord server, it's cool. But the chat on old RRU was sooo wonderful.

It felt like the chat kept the blood pumping on RRU. Now that blood is moved to Discord. I'm sad.

Maybe I'm just imagining things, but I feel like the community has slowed down alot since the chat was removed. 

I had more fun with RRU when it was under maintainance with just the chat available than I have now. 

Visually this new design is great. But don't fix something that aint broken. And DON'T remove it. 

I miss it but maybe I'm just nostalgic.

... Anyone agree? 

I'm gonna assume you are referring to the shoutbox the site used to once have.

While I do admit, it was cool to just go to the site, and have it right there, so you can jump right in and talk with whomever else was on it at the time.

I don't think things in the community were slowed down by the chat box being removed. I mean sure, I guess one could argue that with the long downtime the site had for a while, and the chatbox being gone, that the website died, but that's just not the case (in my eyes, that is)

It ultimately comes down to the fact that not everyone has the time to be active on the site like we once used to be. We have grown up, and just dont have the same time for the site like we did all that time ago.

When we do find something interesting, people will post about it (and people have been, especially for LEGO Island stuff), but right now, there isn't that much else to really talk about, or discuss.

Also, it seems you have issue with the discord. Why might that be? care to elaborate upon that?

• Like 1

MUCINEXSWEEP

>bring back the shoutbox!!!
>me starts to remember why we moved to discord instead of using the shoutbox 
lol I mean the shoutbox was wonky to use and especially during 2016 where it was almost impossible to join the chatroom without getting magically booted off so I'd rather stick to discord instead.
sorry man but discord is such a BETTER alternative 

• Like 1

The chat's also a bit of a mess for Cyrem to sort out; it's not like there's a simple checkmark box that says "Enable Shoutbox." IIRC it also costs money when DIscord is free.

I agree that I enjoyed it and I'd personally like it back, but I know others don't ; during the time of the shoutbox there was the RRU Skype Chat as well, so it's hardly like the Discord addition is actually new. While I'm not in the Discord server myself (mostly because I don't know most of you enough to meaningfully converse; although yes, joining the Discord would assist with that. Anyway, I'm getting off topic), I understand that a decent deal of... activity goes on in there.

I think that there was a topic about this but I cannot remember where to find it.

3 hours ago, Edwin said:

Maybe I'm just imagining things, but I feel like the community has slowed down alot since the chat was removed.

I disagree entirely. (each word is a separate link) RRU has never been hectic, and it's always possible to read up on everything that's happened - something I quite like about the forum, but that's another rant). RRU's pace has always been quiet - sometimes moreso than others, I will agree on that.

Join the Discord! It's RRU's shoutbox, but miles nicer to use, won't explode unexpectedly, has no five-person limit, works fine on mobile, has a nice desktop application too if that's up your street, also works in the web browser too, and is a well-written piece of software. And free. :P

• Like 2

I have to agree with the other users. I feel like using Discord is probably far easier for them to manage than having to do a lot of managing with this site and adding the scripts required to do so and such, and Discord likely has far more features than what all that scripting is just going to add.

Regardless, I haven't seen this site that much when the site chat was around, so I'm not somebody who really has all that much to say about it, asides from what I just said.

You make good points about management and costs etc. If it's too much effort, then maybe we shouldn't #bringbackshoutbox.

I just wanted to show that there is a demand for it, atleast from me who doesn't use discord much (atleast not on my laptop since it's pretty much dying, and I can't afford a new one). Also, I wanna clarify that I don't want the shoutbox to be a supplement to Discord, but a complement (if my English is correct...) I don't dislike discord, I'll get it on my phone! Didn't think of that.

Also, to throw in a curve ball here... I don't ever remember there being a problem with the temporary chat while RRU was paused ... interesting? ?

Quisoves Potoo

The Shoutbox was cool, don't get me wrong, but it was practically abandoned towards the end of its life. Discord had a massive gravitational pull, even before there was an official group, and it really is the bee's knees. I'm not sure what a revived Shoutbox would offer for anyone who's made more than ten posts. While I certainly wouldn't object if Cyrem were to re-implement it, I suspect it would largely serve as as sort of Help Desk for new members.

• Like 2

I always thought thought the Shoutbox was cool but there were only like 10 people who really used it and if there were more than 3 people using it at once that would've been a surprise. I do think it helped new comers find help especially with things like mods. while many people didn't use it, I still don't see why it was removed, did it cost to have it up or did it just make the forum look cluttered?

Some of the forum's plugins cost money. Cyrem looks for cheap/free ones and even writes some himself (I think). I'm not sure if the shoutbox cost anything, but it wasn't ever used much and managing it at all was a pain since it had barely any features. It will probably never come back as long as Discord exists.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.