High Quality LEGO Island Music - downloads!

MineTimelapser

MineTimelapser

As you may have heard, Lorin Nelson has got hold of cassettes of LEGO Island's music - meaning much better quality music than before.

A lot of people have expressed interest in lossless downloads, so we put them up online!

Link to music

More will be add to the page when more is transferred and we get permission from some of the other artists. Some of my personal favorites like Brick by Brick and the park theme have already been included.

We're also planning on making a tuned-up collection of the complete OST. We're doing some tweaks to the music since transferring analog tapes is never perfect, and brings some noise and off frequencies with it.

Enjoy the tracks!

(PS. Lots of lots of love and thanks to Lorin for this, he's done so much work transferring all these tapes!)

Well i'll be!

Thank you so much for releasing these, i've been dying to listen to them ever since Lorin posted the first track to his YouTube channel.

I was wondering, did Lorin happen to send the particular version of LEGOMania he uploaded to his channel? It's a tune that I quite like, and seems to have been used in the E3 Version of the game's intro.

Looking forward to hearing more of this.

24 minutes ago, Mr. Skeltal said:

and seems to have been used in the E3 Version of the game's intro.

Before this turns into yet another case of people saying speculation as if it's fact and then everybody believing it's fact without knowing where it comes from:

There's an early version of the intro that was on Wes's site with different music (and voice acting).

Someone at E3 1996 described seeing a video like the intro.

That's all.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mr. Skeltal said:

Yeah, thats why I put seems in there. My bad, didn't mean to confuse anyone there.

It's alright, just seen waaaaay too much misinformation start like this, heh. "The Kingdoms world in LU was gonna be Chima themed", "The Legend of Mata Nui had eight beta discs that were lost", etc. Just good to say things exactly as we know for sure; often times things that seem plausible or even "obviously right" end up being unexpectedly wrong, and sometimes it's the opposite. Most often it's somewhere in the middle, and the general idea is right but the blanks people filled in are incomplete/somewhat wrong (in this case I'd say the E3 video likely was different from the final intro since it was so far from release, but there were also quite possibly more WIP versions of it than the one on Wes's site, so who knows what exactly it was unless more video surfaces).

MineTimelapser
1 hour ago, Mr. Skeltal said:

I was wondering, did Lorin happen to send the particular version of LEGOMania he uploaded to his channel? It's a tune that I quite like, and seems to have been used in the E3 Version of the game's intro.

Certainly have more of that: I uploaded the suite version of the track for you. It's 50 minutes long - so good chance it will include it!

Also uploaded the Police Station theme since I got permission for it!

On the topic of video, there may be some news on that coming up. The archives had VHS tapes that can be converted relatively soon, so hoping there's something interesting on them.

56 minutes ago, MineTimelapser said:

On the topic of video, there may be some news on that coming up. The archives had VHS tapes that can be converted relatively soon, so hoping there's something interesting on them.

With all the stuff going on lately, I've forgotten - was Lorin involved in the TV show pilot, or no? Or is there any chance it could be on them regardless?

• lol username featured this topic
MineTimelapser
41 minutes ago, jamesster said:

With all the stuff going on lately, I've forgotten - was Lorin involved in the TV show pilot, or no? Or is there any chance it could be on them regardless?

Not as far as I'm aware, but there's still a possibility that it is included somewhere as the archives also include more than stuff directly related to LEGO Island.

The first video is rendering which is a commercial for LEGO Island.

Going off the title, the first tape also includes something called 'character rig footage' and a third thing that can't be made out. I'll make a topic for it once it's out.

Quite fantastic stuff! I'm very much hoping the race track themes (both for roaming and racing) will turn up at some point, those along with the Torpedoes contributions to the soundtrack (which I only recently found an archive of) shaped my taste in music more than I realized for a long time!

MineTimelapser
4 hours ago, Deathrain said:

Quite fantastic stuff! I'm very much hoping the race track themes (both for roaming and racing) will turn up at some point, those along with the Torpedoes contributions to the soundtrack (which I only recently found an archive of) shaped my taste in music more than I realized for a long time!

Hey! Glad you liked them. Some of these tracks have been converted already. We’re working on getting permission from some of the artists and then will put them up there!

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

Wow this really made my entire month. I didn't knew about this until I stumbled across a YouTube video. This is bloody amazing.

Lego Island 1 Music production memories:  I was the guy they pulled in to overlook the music for the product, though Wes Jenkins, Kyle Bogertman and various Mindscape management people were way over my head.  I picked some and supplied some, and resources were tapped that were beyond my choosing.

At that time, I lived in Sausalito, CA on a houseboat that contained my studio, a nice deck and the usual necessary rooms.  Wes and Kyle lived in San Francisco on Van Ness at the time, so the Golden Gate Bridge was between them and me.   Most of the work that I did myself was done alone on my houseboat.  Flying Rhino Studios was where we recorded musical additions, voice parts and did most of the audio mastering. 

We had regularly scheduled meetings at Wes and Kyle's place to discuss game details, musical submissions, etc.  During those meetings, we usually listened to music submissions, played with large Lego sets while building the world.  And drinking beer.

When we needed to refine some of my submissions, Wes and Kyle and occasionally other players would visit my place where I'd edit the music to match lyrical content they'd come up with.  And we drank beer.

At the time, in the world of computer-based video games, we were doing stuff that was considered to be impossible.  Hah.

It was not a fast process.  We couldn't share audio files online at all, everyone who played together or sang had to get together at "real life" locations.

At one point, I had encouraged Wes and Kyle to join me to see "Polkacide" live, because they were insane.

We went, we saw and heard, we got pummeled in the polka-crazed mosh pit (while chugging beer) and decided that they should definitely be included.  They were included.

While I did the majority of the synth/sampler-type music, I wasn't the only one who got on the project.  A few other excellent composers and players got onto the project.  I won't name any names because no matter how many I mention, some might be overlooked.  Everyone involved did creative original musical work.

There were times when some great and highly amusing musical pieces had to be dropped, having been deemed inappropriate for children of the age in the demographic the game was intended to serve.  But some of it has gotten out anyway, and since the kids who grew up with the game are now adults, who cares?

I will say that even though it didn't work out for any of us financially in the end, the creation process involved in that game was exceptionally detail-oriented along with being just lots of fun to have worked on.

The whole group involved in that project (and others) later joined together to record bi-weekly comedy radio broadcasts as "Radio Shorts".

That was aimed at an older demographic target audience, so it got considerably more "blue" at that time.

It was an exceptional time with the merging of exceptional people who all just wanted to do their part and have fun.  And that's what we did.

Lorin

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.